I saw a new garage sale technique this weekend!

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
I went to a community sale this weekend. There was a Plymouth Voyager cruising down the street about 5MPH. The side door was open and every sale they came to 4 women in their 50's would jump out "SWAT" style and run towards the sale while the van was still moving. They would quickly look at everything for sale. The van would then keep driving slowly and they would run back and load up again. If they found something they wanted it would pull over and wait until the purchase was made. It was kind of impressive. :laughing9:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being the person driving would suck. I would love to have a driver like that working for me, though. It would make yardsales a lot more fun! At about 95% of them, I am in and out so quickly that turning the car off is a waste of time.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a technique, but it would only work on streets that are flat or have a gentle incline. And you can do this by yourself! Just slow the car down to a crawl, leave the engine running, and put it in neutral. Hop out, check out the wares, and then catch up to the car and jump back in. Saves time, and wear and tear on the engine from shutting it off and starting it up, and you don't have to deal with finding a parking space!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
kennedyfan said:
Here's a technique, but it would only work on streets that are flat or have a gentle incline. And you can do this by yourself! Just slow the car down to a crawl, leave the engine running, and put it in neutral. Hop out, check out the wares, and then catch up to the car and jump back in. Saves time, and wear and tear on the engine from shutting it off and starting it up, and you don't have to deal with finding a parking space!
that sounds like trouble waiting to happen

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Rooter said:
I went to a community sale this weekend. There was a Plymouth Voyager cruising down the street about 5MPH. The side door was open and every sale they came to 4 women in their 50's would jump out "SWAT" style and run towards the sale while the van was still moving. They would quickly look at everything for sale. The van would then keep driving slowly and they would run back and load up again. If they found something they wanted it would pull over and wait until the purchase was made. It was kind of impressive. :laughing9:
impressive til one of the Dummies trips getting out an get's run over

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
that sounds like trouble waiting to happen

Yeah, I was hoping people would realize that was a joke :hello:

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Common sense is not Commom. According to Yahoo answers, the quote is not "Common sense is not common." Their contributor Ray G suggests the quote was originally "Le sens commun est fort rare." They offer the translation "Common sense is quite rare." (It's not like French has no words to say precisely "not common" if that was what had been intended.) It seems as if some artistic license is creeping in here, and I wonder if that's appropriate. In this situation, it may be benign, but in other situations I don't now that it will be. Does Wikipedia really not have a policy about foreign language quotations that requires citation to show the original statement, so that those who worry the translation is wrong can tell the difference between information or nuance introduced by the translator and that intended by the original speaker?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread