When a piece of gold is overlaid on silver....

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several pieces of jewelry that have a thin piece of gold overlaid on the silver. One piece is looks like it might be "Blackhills Gold". It is stamped: "Sterling" and another stamp of " 12kt". The pendant is sterling and it has a green gold and a yellow gold leaf as part of it.

Another pieces is a single earring that's thick silver has an inset gold cross on both sides. The gold tests 14kt and appears to be soldered to the silver.

Is it worth the price of gold and the labor to try to seperate the parts? How have you been successful in doing that?

Thanks,
BjB

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
No to your question. I find many pieces of jewelry (water hunting) with the Black Hills marking of Sterling/12K. I sell them as jewelry if possible, or ship to the refiners and get credit for both metals. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oroh2o said:
No to your question. I find many pieces of jewelry (water hunting) with the Black Hills marking of Sterling/12K. I sell them as jewelry if possible, or ship to the refiners and get credit for both metals. Hope this helps.

ARA refiners won't give credit of a bimetal piece.... It's either gold and they keep the silver or it fire melted silver and who knows what happens to the gold.

What refinery do you send yours?

Some of the pieces I have overlaid gold on silver are single earrings or rare pendants, so it could improve the bottom line if I could seperate them.

Thanks for the input.

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
I use both ARA and NTR Metals. I have also sent in Platinum/Gold combination rings and gotten paid for both. maybe contact them in advance. Good luck.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread