I saw a saw and...

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been doing much yard sale/auction hunting recently but I still watch the listings just in case something fantastic shows up. This week I spotted a yard sale listing that included a picture of a NIB power miter saw. I'm retiring on Friday and, now that I have some time, I want to trim out the windows in my house so I've been on the lookout for a miter saw for quite a while. I've seen a lot of them but most of them have either been heavily used and/or too expensive. I could see in the picture that the one in the yard sale listing had a price tag of $65 which seemed very reasonable. So, yesterday I went to the sale and got there about 15 minutes before the 7:30 start time. The place was pretty far out in the country so I was disappointed to see about a dozen people already poking through the stuff laid out in the driveway. I looked around and couldn't find the saw so I figured somebody had already snapped it up. I looked around at the stuff on the driveway but didn't see anything of interest. Just as I was about to leave, I noticed somebody poking around in the garage. I asked the seller if there was anything for sale in there and he said, "Most of that stuff isn't for sale but there are a few things I'd sell." So I went in and there was the saw. The seller saw me looking at it and said, "If you're interested in the saw, you might want the work stand that goes with it". Well, hell yes, I'm interested in it! He wanted $50 for the work stand so $115 for both pieces. I offered him $80, he countered with $90 and we had a deal.

DSC06903.JPG

After I loaded the saw and work stand into my truck, I went back for a final look around. I found a stack of street signs in the garage.

DSC06904.JPG

I paid $20 for the whole stack. There are four "Lynn Lane" signs, three "Pine Tip Way" signs, and two each of the "Magnolia Dr.", "Mossy Wood Dr.", and "Carthage St." signs so I paid less that $1.00 each for them. Prices on eBay for this kind of thing are all over the place but I"m thinking I should be able to get at least $10 each.

I took one last look around before leaving and spotted the item below under some stuff on a table.

DSC06898.JPG

The seller had put a $20 sticker on the box. I offered $10. He countered with $15. Done! I can't find this exact set on eBay but there are a bunch of old Marx train sets that have sold in the $100 - $200 range. I haven't tested it yet to see if it works but it appears to be in really good shape. I love the fact that it is still in the original box which also is in good shape.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I like that little train set. You did good on everything. I've had to cut back on my buying from a storage standpoint. I did manage to go to one estate sale yesterday though. Good luck on the sales.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've made some great deals!! Good job. And congratulations on your retirement!! Best wishes to you!!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Deals! Good Eyes, too!!

You'll like the saw for trim work, especially with the mounting stand that supports your wood/trim molding stock on both ends when you need support. I bought random widths of 1" rough "thrift grade" walnut lumber and resawed the thickness, ripped to width, and planed smooth on both sides to 5/16" thick. That's the type saw I used when I made my own parquet tile for my entry in the style called "Monticello". It's a 5" square with 2"wide pickets around the square. All the pickets had double 45* angles cut to a point on each end. That was 40 years ago. The Thrift Grade had lots of fancy grain spots near the defect knots that were cut away, and has aged with no cracks and great patina. Also, I'm making a horseshoe shaped chip shield to arch behind the sawdust bag. It's made from the clear screen of a salvaged large DLP television with vacuum holes at the bottom for a shop vac hose to collect what the dust bag can't.

Congrats on your Retirement! It will take you a year to truthfully transition to a retirement pace, but you'll love it!

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions