Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's today's epic treasure adventure story:
With these last few days being relatively warm I decided to hit one of my favorite old spots out on the island... I didn't expect to find much - boy was I wrong. I started out detecting the tree line where I left off last month and almost immediately found my first silver - a little .925 broken locket. A few minutes later I found an ancient copper spoon, then a 1941 Washington and a worn-out nickle. I then dug an 1887 Indian! Amazing, can't get much better than this right?

I was about to pack up and head over to another site when I got a really high tone. Dug down and saw something... something eerily familiar... it was a silver shaker cap. Though slightly different in appearance it looked like the style of the 1738 Colonial pepper pot I had found here last month! Could there be more colonial silver trinkets out here, I thought, or even an ancient colonial treasure of epic proportions?! Maybe a forgotten pirate came to Long Island long ago and buried some treasure here! Romantic historical fantasies took hold of me. Bent on finding more treasure I quickly made a rudimentary grid in the dirt and began checking everywhere in it.

I found a clad quarter, some melted lead, a broken clay pipe, a few pieces of extremely rusty iron, and then... a high signal... perhaps another copper spoon or silver coin? Dug down 6 inches very carefully and... time stopped. There was a topless silver pepper shaker. Completely compacted with dirt both inside and out. How?! Why?! This never happens! Holy $#*%! This was too much excitement, this was the other half of the lost shaker that that silver cap goes to!

Back at home I cleaned the dirt out of the inside of the shaker and then I straightened the rim of the silver cap I had found earlier. The two pieces fit together perfectly! This was indeed yet ANOTHER complete colonial-era silver pepper pot! This had to be the mate to the other pepper pot I had found in that area last month, I thought! I quickly took out the original 1738 shaker and compared the two. Although they looked nearly identical on the outside their hallmarks were very different from each other. Maybe they were together when they were lost, but they were not a mated pair.

Edit: I've just been informed by Crusader that this artifact was not made in London as some of my previous sources had indicated. This was made in the city of Exeter, making it a far rarer artifact than my first London-made pepper pot. Since this piece was made in Exeter the date of manufacture must now also be different. It can not be from 1718, as this is the date according to London markings only, according to the Exeter hallmark chart this piece was most likely made in 1703. As for the actual maker, this is still unknown. I will keep you all posted. One thing is for certain this piece, although it is a similar style to the previous shaker I found, is not part of a "set" with it. It is possible the two shakers had the same owner and were lost at the same time but they were definitely not originally used together as they differ in age by 35 years and were made in different cities.

Edit 2: Okay, new revelation! I've been calling these things "pepper pots" but I just discovered they are officially called "Bun Peppers". According to a website on old tableware, "Bun Peppers were only made during the reigns of George I and George II. They appear to have been made singly and not very decorated. They were most likely used during less formal occasions."

I also discovered that the maker is most likely James Whipple. His stamp was "JW&Co" this is the only Exeter maker's mark that has the last letters as "Co" and this matches up with the "Co" on the bottom of the shaker.

Today's finds:
DSC08572.JPG DSC08573.JPG
Putting the cap back on after 200+ years in the ground:
DSC08583.JPG DSC08585.JPG
The holes on this one are nearly twice the size compared to the original one:
DSC08590.JPG
The two shakers (1703 on left 1738 on right) The tops and bases are noticeably different:
This must have been a popular style. These two although similar looking are actually not related,
they were made 35 years apart in two different cities by two different silver smiths:
DSC08591.JPG
The hallmarks of the latest shaker (left) compared to my original (right):
The one on the left from 1703 Exeter while the one on the right is from 1738 London.
Hallmarks 1718.jpg lion mark2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unreal! I never thought another would be there. I have only seen one other which was 100 years later and destroyed by the plow. this is definitely one of the neatest set of items I have ever seen found. I would wash them and use them. those things were build to last. definitely another banner find. congrats!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The site needs to modify your banner!!! And seeing the two together makes my wife happy. Congrats!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Celebrate! Way cool .Congrats on a very successful hunt. Besides the rare value of your shakers, just recovering multiple pieces that mate is a special part of detecting's highlights.

4seasons

Apr 14, 2009
Holes bigger in one? why not a salt and pepper shaker? Amazing they look as if you could put them on the table and use them today.. Way to go!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that too, I wonder if that's where her name comes from :D

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You know what they say in the antique biz...one is good and a pair is great! Also, triple the value of the pair compared to the value of the single.
All in all, you should be very pleased with that find and very proud of it.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice find!! Looks pretty much like a match to me. Did they use salt/pepper sets back in the early 1700s? If so, the different cap perforation styles would be enough to differentiate. Pepper was always more costly so i'd imagine its shaker would be the one with smaller holes (much like today, which is quite annoying personally because i use huge amounts amounts of the stuff, to the point I take the caps off and sift out what i want, heh).

Anyway, great discovery! Makes me wonder if some silver flatware got lost in the area, but managed to sink deeper because they were solid instead of hollow like these? Maybe someone shook out their picnic blanket and away went the shakers, along with their pocket spill of spanish silver... One can hope anyway! :thumbsup:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a big wow! totally amazing, congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable man! Wow that's a crazy cool duo right there. Great job bud

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds! Thank you for sharing.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You gotta be s@#tt$n me! Wow! A set is worth an absolute ton more. Congrats on the amazing finish to the extraordinary story!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude are you blessed or what! Awesome! I say Banner!

What are the odds! People are defying the odds all over the place when it comes to finds this year!
Can 't wait to find out what the marks tell ya!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speechless! Coins are Coins and I love em, don't get me wrong but this is a spectacular pair of finds. I doubt if anyone has ever found such a beautiful pair of colonial shakers or ever will. You might think about buying a couple Lotto tickets, the odds are probably better. You rock, I'm glad you gridded and found the base, well deserved. I look forward to seeing it added to the banner!

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
am i the only on wondering how that 1941 quarter is clad? counterfeit?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have one up there already they might as well make it a marriage. Congrats on getting the other one and the odds of it happening is way too high to care about it.

Wow you must be a tad tingly holding on to the pair now.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread