I think i just foud a BOMB.

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey everyone,

I headed out today with a lot of excitement and very eager to get the new Deteknix Quest Pro out in the field for the first time. The weather was a little chilly in the brisk wind but the sun was out and so i was happy.

I headed to my usual pasture permission which has no livestock on in the winter time so i have free reign of it.

I only had a brief look at the Quest pro's manual before i headed out but still found the menu easy to navigate and set up. The settings i used were disc mode, gain at around 75, threshold at 1 and id filter at 25. once i had performed a ground balance the detector seemed very stable and i was ready to go.

I had a few interesting finds including a new cap badge, a strange modern'ish token and a kind of medal on a chain! but by far the most interesting find i had is what i believe to be a bomb or explosive tip of some sort!

I have re-covered it and recorded the find spot and contacted the land owner and now think i may need to call bomb disposal once i have you guys confirmation that it is what i think it is as i dont want to waste their time. It will not be disturbed where it presently is by a member of the public so no worries on that front.

here is a pic of the finds and a video below showing the bomb!

rsz_dscn0114.jpg

And here is a video of the bomb.

Upvote 6

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a mortar shell to me too!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fuse from an artillery round. Most likely harmless from having been in the ground with the base of it exposed. I'm guessing this is found in the UK? It could be from a flak shell if there were any anti aircraft batteries around during the war. Obviously I can't offer any kind of id as to type from the video, but if it's part of a Hopkins Proximity fuse it would be a really cool find....

It should be safe to pick up, if it was still attached to the shell, I'd tell you to definitely leave it alone.....

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the bomb!! Better safe then sorry tell me one person who got hurt grabbing one of those that thought they were going to be hurt.. Be carefull mabee send pic to an expert then see what they think!!!!!

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of folks have suggested its more than likely safe, and part of a fuse for a Bomb/mortar but I don't think I will chance it

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of folks have suggested its more than likely safe, and part of a fuse for a Bomb/mortar but I don't think I will chance it

I have now had several id's saying that it is the nose cone from an AA shell and should be safe, panic over.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it look like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_194345_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160228_194345_edit.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 109

Guajino

Feb 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456727670.149658.jpg

This one I encounter during my search lol.

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bainsey that's is a very good first run with the Quest. I would be interested in finding out some more information from you. Send me an email at [email protected].

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet video Bainsey. Thanks again and glad to see you digging

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This metal detecting, treasure hunting thing, can be very exciting and sometimes dangerous, in so may ways.
Glad it didn't explode.
Congrats

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bombs are actually fun to dig up, if you do it with caution! Would love to see a picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread