I think I ordered TOO much!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Everyone that reads my posts knows I don't do halves very often. I averaged 1 silver per 8.3 boxes last year, so Why do it? But about twice a year I order some, in the (hopes) that there is something out there that i missed. When I do, I order from everywhere at once. I do that because after 4 or 5 skunks, I don't want to DO any more. But if I already HAVE them, then I do them just to get through them and get them out of here again. PLus I'm hoping that I make them go deeper into their stash and maybe down to a level that they haven't been to in a while, and I'll get some new things.

Anyway ... over the past year or so I've expanded the banks I go to. I get pennies mostly, and a lot of nickels, but I also ask for loose halves every time. And lots of banks hold them for me even. So I DO find silver, by getting them before they go into the system, and the more banks that I go to in order ot ask for loose ones the better my odds. I'm up to 48 banks on 2 circuits that I frequent.

I decided to order halves again for this week. First time in about 5 months. So I went to my normal runs, both sides, and grabbed some pennies, plus a few new silvers (yea!), and then ordered 2 boxes of halves. From each bank.

YIKES.

Next Friday, I have 48 banks giving me 2 boxes each. That means i have to come up with $48,000 in cash to BUY THEM. Guess I didn't think THAT one through! HA! I'll have to make withdrawals of $9,000 per day for five days to not go over the $10,000 reporting limit, and then I'll be able to buy what I need.

Anyone else find they have to have a LOT of capital tied up to make purchases, or do you stagger it out better than I did with my thinking this time? :tongue3:

I'll let everyone know how my NINETY SIX boxes go. I'm hoping for 15 silvers. It would be above my average, and at least make me feel good about the time it will take. I'll let you know in two weeks (maybe three, depending on how long it takes me to go through them all) how I did. For now though ... I just need another $45,000 to get me to where I need to be by Friday. LOLOL

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
jrf30 said:
Everyone that reads my posts knows I don't do halves very often. I averaged 1 silver per 8.3 boxes last year, so Why do it? But about twice a year I order some, in the (hopes) that there is something out there that i missed. When I do, I order from everywhere at once. I do that because after 4 or 5 skunks, I don't want to DO any more. But if I already HAVE them, then I do them just to get through them and get them out of here again. PLus I'm hoping that I make them go deeper into their stash and maybe down to a level that they haven't been to in a while, and I'll get some new things.

Anyway ... over the past year or so I've expanded the banks I go to. I get pennies mostly, and a lot of nickels, but I also ask for loose halves every time. And lots of banks hold them for me even. So I DO find silver, by getting them before they go into the system, and the more banks that I go to in order ot ask for loose ones the better my odds. I'm up to 48 banks on 2 circuits that I frequent.

I decided to order halves again for this week. First time in about 5 months. So I went to my normal runs, both sides, and grabbed some pennies, plus a few new silvers (yea!), and then ordered 2 boxes of halves. From each bank.

YIKES.

Next Friday, I have 48 banks giving me 2 boxes each. That means i have to come up with $48,000 in cash to BUY THEM. Guess I didn't think THAT one through! HA! I'll have to make withdrawals of $9,000 per day for five days to not go over the $10,000 reporting limit, and then I'll be able to buy what I need.

Anyone else find they have to have a LOT of capital tied up to make purchases, or do you stagger it out better than I did with my thinking this time? :tongue3:

I'll let everyone know how my NINETY SIX boxes go. I'm hoping for 15 silvers. It would be above my average, and at least make me feel good about the time it will take. I'll let you know in two weeks (maybe three, depending on how long it takes me to go through them all) how I did. For now though ... I just need another $45,000 to get me to where I need to be by Friday. LOLOL

Seems you have yourself in a little bind.

I am only playing with $2000 right now but I get 8 boxes one week and 6 the next week, alternating in that order. What I do it I pick up 2 boxes at one bank, search them, hit a dump bank, pick up another 3 at the next bank, search them, hit a dump bank, pick up the other 3, search them and then hit 2 more dump banks ( I try not to dump more than $1000 per bank ). That allows me to play with limited funds. I buy all the halves from a single bank over 3 of their branches but I dump at 4 different banks to get them out of the system.

What you might need to do is find 48 dump banks or pick 24 dump banks, pick up half the coin this week, dump and pick up the other half next and dump.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
I'm hoping for 15 silvers.

That is per box right? Good luck, you should have checked with your CRHA sponsor.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your finds, I always enjoyed your comments, and hope you get not 15 silvers for all 96 boxes, but more like 15 silvers per box!!!!

Let us know how you do, now imagine... $48,000 in half dollars is equivalent to 4,800,000 pennies which is equivalent to 1,920 boxes of pennies!!! :evil5:

Again, good luck, and HH!
BuffaloBoy
:icon_sunny:

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_EE said:
Seems you have yourself in a little bind.

a little bind. i would say that that is a huge bind. and if he has acess to the money why not do it.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:

let me ask you something do you have acess to $48,000 dollars? if so go for it. if not wait to get the rest.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I would bet some of your banks would hold the halves for a day to a few days for you. You might try calling to see if you can stagger the pickups, sorting like mad, and dumping in time to use the proceeds for the next day's pickup(s).

GOOD LUCK, hope you find a ton of silver!

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Federal Reserve Currency Transaction Report is mandatory at transactions exceeding $6,000 USD

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck JRF!!

swap the coin lock bags for cash, that way there is no paper trail!

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
ckrakowski said:
jrf30 said:

let me ask you something do you have acess to $48,000 dollars? if so go for it. if not wait to get the rest.

I'll do it. Just need to take it out over several days. And will have to put it back in over a few weeks. Just didn't plan it as well as I should have. HA!

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is Good Luck. I hope you take home a lot more than 15 coins.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the 10g limit is within a certain amount of days maybe 30 I wouldn't worry if you have a paper trail. Couple of years ago you could buy 25 to 30 G's of the crap gold coins from the mint on a american express card just to get the free air miles. All you had to do was deposit them in the bank and pay the bill in 30 days no interest. They cut it to 3 g's at a time now.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spread the pickups out over a couple weeks. The banks wont mind holding a couple boxes for 4-5 days, or even a tad longer. No sense in trying to gather that much cash on short notice.

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn I thought I ran volume... I don't think I could get 48 banks onboard to order for me tbh... And I live within a 1 mile radius of 13 different branches. I play with around 3k of revolving capital I set aside just for CRH. Since I typically run more than 3k per day, I buy coins, then dump em off and exchange for cash. Then turn I go across the street to buy more coins.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If you ordered 2 boxes from a bank.. they can probably hold them for you for 3-4 days. That's not too burdensome that they have to get rid of them. They can probably handle 2 boxes in vault space. Surprised you've gone to that many banks. Must be a lot of driving to do during pickup day.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A SAR report is usually filed at 10k.

Banks can set this threshold lower if they so choose, I think... please dont hold me to the wall on this but BoA is @ 8,500

SAR = Suspicious Activity Report

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I commend you thoroughly !

The best hobbies in the world SCARE PEOPLE TO DEATH !

Bet everybody on here wishes they could do it too.

Hope you are rewarded.

Keep on Rollin' !

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an example of CRH Overdose! You will be lucky to cover the gas expense your using to hit 48 banks. IF you do have that much liquid cash available and not soundly invested in more interest bearing; stocks, funds or bonds or 401 or IRAs! It's a clear indication your penny wise and dollar foolish!! Mon Frere! Diversify.
You can make more in a year by keenly investing $48 K than you could ever make CRH any given year!
The only place you should be getting that kind of dough on short notice is home equity. Anything else means you need to be getting wise to the game! Just my .02 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread