Over 200 Silver halves out of $900 worth of halves (pic included)

Selous1851

Mar 16, 2012
Mozambique, Africa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS Deepseeker, Garrett GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer when I was back in the US for a few months I had wanted to do some coin roll hunting as I used to do when I was a teenager but I was so busy I barely had time. I finally decided it was now or never as we were leaving for an extended period of travel. My wife was going into the local bank branch (which I had never been to for crh) and asked if they had any halves. I had asked her to get as many as possible. When she asked for halves they said "how many?" and of course she said all of them. The manager (who is a friend of ours) said "sure you can have them but there's $900 worth in there, we would love to get rid of them because they have been sitting around for years". My wife bought a few hundred worth and told her she would be back for the rest. Needless to say I about wet myself when I realized what a good bag of coins we had struck. When my wife told me they had been there for years and she set the bag (not a box) on the table and I heard the tell-tale sign of silver coins ringing as they jostled in the bag... it would have taken an army of soldiers to keep me from the bag!

All in all we had over 200 silver... mostly 40% but 16 were 90% plus one walker! I took out the choice ones for my collection and sold the rest. At the time silver was in the mid $40 range and I walked away with a cool $1150 cash.

I am ruined for life! This is the best haul I have ever taken and will probably never see that type of silver again!

Anyway, just wanted to share!

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpeg
    IMG_4760.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 1,004
Upvote 0

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! ! !! amazing ! ! ! !thats what keeps us looking !!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! congrats on your major silver haul, that will definately pay for your traveling expenses :)
BuffaloBoy
:icon_sunny:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, pal! That's what we all dream of. And yes, each one of us will probably get a score like that someday - all you have to do is keep searchin - it's a numbers game!

Congrats!

HH
BB

OP
OP
Selous1851

Selous1851

Mar 16, 2012
Mozambique, Africa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cooper... lets just say... the midwest. ;D Not California, Florida or Maine... If that helps.

Coinsandfootball

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baddbluff said:
Awesome, pal! That's what we all dream of. And yes, each one of us will probably get a score like that someday - all you have to do is keep searchin - it's a numbers game!

Congrats!

HH
BB

Agreed it is a numbers game and you had an awesome score! :icon_thumright:

HH

OP
OP
Selous1851

Selous1851

Mar 16, 2012
Mozambique, Africa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments guys. Just wish I was in the States to look some more. Here in Africa all the coins are pretty much cheap metals and the old ones are extremely hard to come by. Trying my luck on the beach with the Garrett but so far just trash and titanium ore.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Selous1851 said:
Thanks for the comments guys. Just wish I was in the States to look some more. Here in Africa all the coins are pretty much cheap metals and the old ones are extremely hard to come by. Trying my luck on the beach with the Garrett but so far just trash and titanium ore.

Do you get some silver from colonial Mozambique by MD?

I have a large collection of foreign coins, but one of the countries I don't have is Mozambique. So next time you go to the US, secretly spend some of your modern coins so I can get it in change or CRH. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Selous1851

Selous1851

Mar 16, 2012
Mozambique, Africa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
Selous1851 said:

I have a large collection of foreign coins, but one of the countries I don't have is Mozambique. So next time you go to the US, secretly spend some of your modern coins so I can get it in change or CRH. :laughing7:
No colonial silver yet. I have heard that when the Portuguese left they weren't allowed to take their silver and gold with them so many of them hid it in the walls of their houses or in their yards. A friend of mine bought a old house and was removing a tree that had been in the yard for years and the guys found a metal box full of silver coins. Unfortunately... he sold them all. I would have loved to have gotten some from him.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Selous1851 said:
sagittarius98 said:
Selous1851 said:

No colonial silver yet. I have heard that when the Portuguese left they weren't allowed to take their silver and gold with them so many of them hid it in the walls of their houses or in their yards. A friend of mine bought a old house and was removing a tree that had been in the yard for years and the guys found a metal box full of silver coins. Unfortunately... he sold them all. I would have loved to have gotten some from him.

Interesting, some of the silver had to be taken out as none of the silver is very rare in the US.

OP
OP
Selous1851

Selous1851

Mar 16, 2012
Mozambique, Africa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selous1851 said:
sagittarius98 said:
Selous1851 said:

Interesting, some of the silver had to be taken out as none of the silver is very rare in the US.

Yeah, not too rare... I've just heard that was a lot of "old" silver and gold owned by the Portuguese that were hidden in caches. Would love to find some! :3coins:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread