Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clear nail polish over 'em.
You'll have forgotten about them by the next morning!

~Tejaas~

Too lazy for that one. Thanks Tho , You Smokers of former ever try the Cigarette Trick? --It hurts Sooo Good. LOL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking outside the Box, 'Very Cool'
Great historic ,Old Creeks in your area.
Imo Just have your Super Strong Magnets Tied on well, Don't want to loose them on an old Car Body, Or Shopping Cart Buried in the sand, In deeper water of course.

Noticed you had the AT pro, I need to Just Do It & buy one for similar reasons.
Whats a Larson mo jo pro flippin stick?
Thanks
Davers

My magnets are mounted on wood handles that you would use on a post hole digger. Those magnets will crush a finger.
The "Larson mo jo pro flippin stick" is a hand crafted wood staff used for hunting artifacts in the fields. It was given to me by (mod) Larson51 who passed away last month.
I hunt all those creeks that the battles around here are named for. Its a lot of fun.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you recovered you digging tool Davers! And yes, the lit cig does feel good! I use deep woods off quite often, or anything with a lot of DEET. The only thing with the DEET is, make sure you get it of your hands because it will eat up plastic like the handle of your machine, or the steering wheel of your vehicle!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! At least you guys got to hunt relics! I live a few miles from Averasboro and have never gotten a chance to hunt in the past 10 years of asking/research. It has always been parks and beach for me. That's VERY old. I am considering the beach tomorrow morning if the weather holds.
Yeah man, we were in Overshot, not to far away from you. I live about 30 min. from the beach, and hunt it quite often. I'm seriously thinking about getting a real beach machine, but not sure which one. The weather looks good tomorrow. Let us know how you do!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I lived 30 mins from the beach ALL I would be is a beach hunter pretty much. I have a 2 hour trek to get there!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray available through Amazon or in your local Walmart camping department for around $9-10. It really works too! It actually kills the ticks, not just repel them. I watched a tick climb up my shirt sleeve and slowly die last summer. It's the only thing that really works on those buggers.

One precaution; if you have cats, you must apply it outside and let dry before bringing indoors. They're deathly allergic to the naturally derived chemical.

ETA: I also meant to say that the clothing treatment is supposed to last for 6 washings. I noticed that AFTER 4 washings that there was a diminished effect upon the ticks. Consequently, I now hang my treated cloths on our enclosed porch to dry out after wearing and wear them for 2-3 outings before washing. This usually gives me around a month of protection. Obviously a bit less if I get out more.

I'm behind you 100% on this, Juice. I have used this stuff for years, and it works very very well. Here in NH, we enjoy the distinction of being the #1 state for Lyme disease, and we got EEE and West Nile Virus as well. It pays to keep yourself protected.

I wash my pants in Sawyers, and wear Bug Off shirts and hats. When I am hunting the woods, I wear 16" tall Muck boots when its wet, and Cabela's snake boots all the other times. The best part about wearing the tall boots is that all you have to do is tuck in your pant legs and spray the boots with some deet. You can actually use the Sawyers heavy-duty permethrin spray on your boots. This will take care of 90% of the ticks you encounter, but there are also some ways to prevent coming in contact with them that many people dont think about.

When walking through the woods, try to avoid brushing up against bushes and branches. The modus operandi of ticks is to position themselves on leaves and branches and drop onto animals that brush up against them, thereby finding a host. Also, if you kneel or drop to a knee to dig, then you'll be coming into contact with crawling ticks. This is why its so important to spray your pants and wear long sleeve bugoff shirts.

For further reading, there are a lot of blogs and sites that are loaded with info. Here's one that will work: Hiking Insect Prevention

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! At least you guys got to hunt relics! I live a few miles from Averasboro and have never gotten a chance to hunt in the past 10 years of asking/research. It has always been parks and beach for me. That's VERY old. I am considering the beach tomorrow morning if the weather holds.

Dude.
Just looked up Averasborough / Averasboro & Noticed it was a good size battle IMO.
I can understand the site has been Protected & Hunted hard but they got in & out Someway, Just Scout around the area if possible , Bentonville , as well if you can , Search march routes as well & near to them.
Sound like you have tried tho, CW relic hunting is a pain these days ( except for a Couple guy's I know) "see my rant "
(Feeling down on Relic Hunting) if you like.

Have you ever dug a minnie , Ill guess you have, if your like me GS buttons are Very Rare these days.
GL
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My magnets are mounted on wood handles that you would use on a post hole digger. Those magnets will crush a finger.
The "Larson mo jo pro flippin stick" is a hand crafted wood staff used for hunting artifacts in the fields. It was given to me by (mod) Larson51 who passed away last month.
I hunt all those creeks that the battles around here are named for. Its a lot of fun.

Sounds good (like one 'magnet' will pick up a shell.
Cool Stick , Sorry to hear about your Buddy who passed, Just about lost a good friend & O.R.H.= (Original relic Hunter) a couple weeks ago, He just had Triple By Pass + Valve Replacement & some other stuff I can not name, his Recovery will be long but he is a tough old S Ga, Boy.
If you ever get a wild hair , & want some company Detecting or Artifact hunting ,I made it from East Ridge (near the tunnel) to my house in 58 min. LOL
GL
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you recovered you digging tool Davers! And yes, the lit cig does feel good! I use deep woods off quite often, or anything with a lot of DEET. The only thing with the DEET is, make sure you get it of your hands because it will eat up plastic like the handle of your machine, or the steering wheel of your vehicle!

AND WE PUT THAT STUFF ON OUR SKIN!!!!

Thanks for the mention of the Shovel, I hate to loose!
Esp, when only digging SG Brass.
In a week or two the area will be Impassable , Sticker/ blackberry bushes are blooming like crazy.

Last edited:

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tick key is awesome to remove ticks if they get thru preventative measures. About 5 bucks works great.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Higgy. I live in nh and do about exactly the same when out in the woods. The only thing I do different is I spray my boots with deep woods off. The permithin is more expensive and don't want to waste it. I think the tick free spring will be pretty short up here again. Last year it only was about 2 weeks after I got out before they did:sad5:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I lived 30 mins from the beach ALL I would be is a beach hunter pretty much. I have a 2 hour trek to get there!

I guess where your at ,you could go Gulf , Or Atlantic.
Just thinking I 10 to Jax would be Quickest.
A good 6 hours is an average time it would take me to get to a beach- 'Ocean of course' Savannah , or PC. Beach.
Def, would choose Savannah More History there , Heck if there I likely would not make the beach, I think Tybee , or another Island is Savannah's Beach. + I'd have Wife Issues.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm behind you 100% on this, Juice. I have used this stuff for years, and it works very very well. Here in NH, we enjoy the distinction of being the #1 state for Lyme disease, and we got EEE and West Nile Virus as well. It pays to keep yourself protected.

I wash my pants in Sawyers, and wear Bug Off shirts and hats. When I am hunting the woods, I wear 16" tall Muck boots when its wet, and Cabela's snake boots all the other times. The best part about wearing the tall boots is that all you have to do is tuck in your pant legs and spray the boots with some deet. You can actually use the Sawyers heavy-duty permethrin spray on your boots. This will take care of 90% of the ticks you encounter, but there are also some ways to prevent coming in contact with them that many people dont think about.

When walking through the woods, try to avoid brushing up against bushes and branches. The modus operandi of ticks is to position themselves on leaves and branches and drop onto animals that brush up against them, thereby finding a host. Also, if you kneel or drop to a knee to dig, then you'll be coming into contact with crawling ticks. This is why its so important to spray your pants and wear long sleeve bugoff shirts.

For further reading, there are a lot of blogs and sites that are loaded with info. Here's one that will work: Hiking Insect Prevention

Great post Higgy, I hope your hunting season is a Productive One.
I recall you saying something about a Cruise In Feb, I Hope y'all enjoyed it .
Just wanted to say hello.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man, we were in Overshot, not to far away from you. I live about 30 min. from the beach, and hunt it quite often. I'm seriously thinking about getting a real beach machine, but not sure which one. The weather looks good tomorrow. Let us know how you do!

Just thinking ..
If I were you , & not full time beach hunting maybe??? ,I'd go with one of the Tesoro Machines best "bang for your Buck" IMO
GL Fishing as well, the guy who lives on the Outer Banks I spoke of awhile back , Well his Party Animal Status has caught up with him over the 10+ Years I have not seen him, His wife passed over a year ago, & he was in Town at Christmas Time & he was a Wreck! A half Gallon of Vodka a Day ( just to keep the trimm's away) + liver Problems by the end of each day he would start talking about Dying, Killing Him self, ect, . A sad sight 'only 51-0r 52 Years old.
I pray he can straighten out if there is still time.

Oh well Enjoy Your Spring.
Davers

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Davers, I have been in this hobby for the past 14 years or so and have never dug anything related to the Civil War. I have done many hours of research as well as talked to people. I asked myself the same questions about travel routes, bivouacs, watering places and such. No access to those place...period. I went out today and found it very hard to motivate myself to drive 20 plus miles only to find 22 cents in clad after 2 hours of park pounding. For those who claim "I am in it for the thrill of the hunt", good for them. I would like a little satisfaction for my efforts. I would not have acquired good equipment just to go for the thrill. In fact, you do not need equipment for the thrill. Just research and go look without wanting to find anything worth bringing home. Sorry for the rant, I think I may have had enough of digging pennies and getting no answers.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of all the little critters in the woods, them little buggers are the worst.And Just when you think you got them all off you after a shower, surprise -surprise.When I go into a nest I usually wipe myself down with rubbing alcohol before i shower.Irritating damn things

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hear ya man, BUT, New Bern was founded in 1710, It was also the capital of N.C. in colonial times, A major seaport until the railroad came in the 1840's, fell early in the Civil War to the Union and used as major base of operations by them for several counties. Also home to the Rains brothers, whose Inventions were used by the Confederacy. Oh yeah, It's also the birthplace of Pepsi Cola! Kinda hard not to relic hunt round here, but DAMN, Most of the land is getting eaten up by land developers and they don't want to see anyone with a detector out there. I've asked for permission, and all I got was a big " HELL NO!" Yep, the beach is looking pretty darn good right now!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thinking ..
If I were you , & not full time beach hunting maybe??? ,I'd go with one of the Tesoro Machines best "bang for your Buck" IMO
GL Fishing as well, the guy who lives on the Outer Banks I spoke of awhile back , Well his Party Animal Status has caught up with him over the 10+ Years I have not seen him, His wife passed over a year ago, & he was in Town at Christmas Time & he was a Wreck! A half Gallon of Vodka a Day ( just to keep the trimm's away) + liver Problems by the end of each day he would start talking about Dying, Killing Him self, ect, . A sad sight 'only 51-0r 52 Years old.
I pray he can straighten out if there is still time.

Oh well Enjoy Your Spring.
Davers

Sorry to hear about your buddy man. I sincerely hope things turn around for him before something bad happens.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davers, I have been in this hobby for the past 14 years or so and have never dug anything related to the Civil War. I have done many hours of research as well as talked to people. I asked myself the same questions about travel routes, bivouacs, watering places and such. No access to those place...period. I went out today and found it very hard to motivate myself to drive 20 plus miles only to find 22 cents in clad after 2 hours of park pounding. For those who claim "I am in it for the thrill of the hunt", good for them. I would like a little satisfaction for my efforts. I would not have acquired good equipment just to go for the thrill. In fact, you do not need equipment for the thrill. Just research and go look without wanting to find anything worth bringing home. Sorry for the rant, I think I may have had enough of digging pennies and getting no answers.

These are my CW finds for this season. Pretty sad compared to what it used to be. If you are ever in my area, PM me. 3 ringers 002.JPG last pic is fresh out of the dirt

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 56

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions