tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my dogs out for a walk this morning out by this small lake. There were many Canada Geese, but one had a longer neck and no black and I believe that is a Swan out there? It was very sunny, but the temps were in the 30s, as you may tell from the way this morning dove is all fluffed up. I thought they all went to Arizona and New Mexico when it gets cold here in Colorado? The sun did a least get all the birds to sing. This tree full of Starlings were sure making a racket, but I guess Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart could hear something completely different from the song of a Starling then most of us?. This time I did listen a little more intently and with all their chatter and maybe I did hear something a little more beautiful this time :dontknow:

Attachments

• walk 111117 1.jpg
    walk 111117 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • walk 111117 3.jpg
    walk 111117 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • walk 111117 4.jpg
    walk 111117 4.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 71

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I think you may be right about that being a swan. As far as I know, the ones we have here are white with a black bill. I did a google search and found that there are black and grey swans.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think the swan could still be in the juvenile stage? Nice pic of the dove. I bet those starlings were loud!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks a bit like a dirty Snow Goose...:icon_scratch:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That dove is probably a Eurasian Dove rather than a Mourning Dove, Grant. They showed up here several years ago. They generally stay all winter, unlike the Mourning Doves. My understanding is that they are not covered by the same Migratory Bird treaty like the Mourning Doves, and can be shot on sight year-around. At one time, as I recall, Idaho Fish and game even wanted them shot, as they were competing with Mourning Doves for the available food supply. Like you guys In Colorado, our Mourning Doves were gone by the 1st of October, if not sooner.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dove is probably a Eurasian Dove rather than a Mourning Dove, Grant. They showed up here several years ago. They generally stay all winter, unlike the Mourning Doves. My understanding is that they are not covered by the same Migratory Bird treaty like the Mourning Doves, and can be shot on sight year-around. At one time, as I recall, Idaho Fish and game even wanted them shot, as they were competing with Mourning Doves for the available food supply. Like you guys In Colorado, our Mourning Doves were gone by the 1st of October, if not sooner.
Jim
I'm pretty sure this one is a morning dove, Jim. Note the shape of the tail. Those Eurasian dove's have a shorter broad tail more like a pigeon and are a pale grey color. There were other morning dove's around also in the same tree. Colorado fish & game also encourages hunters to take up the year round and challenging sport of who can win by shooting the most Eurasian dove's. Check out some of the ways to cook em up online. If spread some bird seed around the backyard I could easily have me dozen or so with a pellet rifle and maybe try some for dinner?. Here's a couple of those flying carp on my fence.

Attachments

• euro dove 4 063016.jpg
    euro dove 4 063016.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the swan could still be in the juvenile stage? Nice pic of the dove. I bet those starlings were loud!
IDK :dontknow: Looking online at others, it does look like maybe a grey swan? It definitely sat taller out of the water than a goose with the long neck it had. What ever kind of waterfowl it be it was definitely different than what I normally see around in the lake.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I'm color blind , I have a hard time distinguishing different Birds.

I need better eyes , Camera & Skills, & better Binos.

OH!
Great pictures , I'd say Swan or Flamingo lo.

How long ago did the 'Carp doves" show up in the US?
& How? Reckon they just flew over customs????

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I'm color blind , I have a hard time distinguishing different Birds.

I need better eyes , Camera & Skills, & better Binos.

OH!
Great pictures , I'd say Swan or Flamingo lo.

How long ago did the 'Carp doves" show up in the US?
& How? Reckon they just flew over customs????
I believe the invasive dove first entered Florida from the Caribbean in the 1980s I think I've read. Getting around customs in Florida has always been a piece a cake. Especially in the 1980s. The hawks and falcons around here have no problem with the Eurasian doves being here. I've seen a red-tail hawks going after them in flight.

Last edited:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the swan is a juvenile Tundra swan. They are grey in the juvenile stage and turn darker to black when grown. Good picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread