✅ SOLVED I thought I better ask about this piece of agate

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I don't know if I am crazy or just overthink everything. I think I might have found another artifact in my agate collection. I found it last year in my yard and so much of my concentration when I looked at it went in to making out the very fine banding as it is an agate that I missed some details that make me think this wasn't natural and probably wasn't incidental. There is quite a bit of natural surface on one side so this could be another trick on me by nature. Any thoughts on this one? Leave it up to me to find the oddities.

YardStone-2015-Img_0722SSS.jpg

YardStone-2015-Img_0717SSS.jpg

YardStone-2015-Img_0718SSS.jpg

YardStone-2015-Img_0719SSS.jpg

YardStone-2015-Img_0720SSS.jpg

YardStone-2015-Img_0721SSS.jpg

YardStone-2015-Img_0723SSS.jpg

YardStone-2015-Img_0724SSS.jpg

Upvote 0

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I don't know if I am crazy or just overthink everything. I think I might have found another artifact in my agate collection. I found it last year in my yard and so much of my concentration when I looked at it went in to making out the very fine banding as it is an agate that I missed some details that make me think this wasn't natural and probably wasn't incidental. There is quite a bit of natural surface on one side so this could be another trick on me by nature. Any thoughts on this one? Leave it up to me to find the oddities.

View attachment 1297000

View attachment 1297001

View attachment 1297002

View attachment 1297003

View attachment 1297004

View attachment 1297005

View attachment 1297006

View attachment 1297007

I'm far from an expert....

But I've been finding stuff VERY similar to your pics. I would go back where you found your agate because along with the pieces like yours I also found these in the same area I'm at.

image.jpg

My first thought was a form of flaking/knapping tool I don't think mine are agate though.
Now I'm thinking a broken piece or some disregarded debitage. Nonetheless I still keep them��

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a remnant of a core since it still has that rind on it with some flaking?

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm far from an expert....

But I've been finding stuff VERY similar to your pics. I would go back where you found your agate because along with the pieces like yours I also found these in the same area I'm at.

View attachment 1297065

My first thought was a form of flaking/knapping tool I don't think mine are agate though.
Now I'm thinking a broken piece or some disregarded debitage. Nonetheless I still keep them��

TheTh3rd,
Yes I've noticed you have been on to some great finds, always nice to see them. You are on to a great spot. I have yet to find my first point, but I have found 2 definite broken artifacts in my yard around a drainage that had been dug up recently, about 15 feet from where I found this agate. The agate was actually at the top of the hill but then it does get washed out there and is a very steep spot. I scour my yard, ever since I first started stumbling across agates. I've found well over 100 agates and dozens of fossils and a piece of petrified wood in my yard. That said, I'm heading to the fields on my next opportunity maybe tomorrow. :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Did some reading - still looks natural to me - probably Chert. (Flint is a Chert)

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some reading - still looks natural to me - probably Chert. (Flint is a Chert)
Thanks for helping me look in to this! The material is definitely agate. With these pics I angled the camera to show the surface texture more than the material detail. It has extremely fine banding that would be hard to make show up in a picture. Another form of micro-crystalline quartz. :)

This one will stay with my other yard agates. Thanks everyone.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have thousands of those, very common find on parts of the left coast. I always pick them up and many of them look like what you have. Yours is not an artifact but it was a common material to use.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only is your pretty rock agate, the color would qualify it as carnelian, and of cut and polishable grade.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent over 4 hours walking the fields today. No artifacts. I did find two gorgeous agates though. Of course I will appropriately post those in the rock/gems area once I'm done treating them. :notworthy:

Edited to add, also found 2 golf balls. Hey Rock if you chance by this, we should start a company. ;)

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always find some nice agate in your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread