fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing like it in Alberts or Tices button books. What does the backmark read? I think it's a fake or fantasy item but could be wrong pending more research.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing like it in Alberts or Tices button books. What does the backmark read? I think it's a fake or fantasy item but could be wrong pending more research.

I think B6YK
And something AKA
hard to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any letters? Eyes don't work as well as they used to, but I have all the books sitting right here.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The backmark is written in "plain-block" lettering (not mid-1800s serifed lettering), and appears to be Eastern-European lettering. That indicates the State of Louisiana was not the only entity to use the Mother-Pelican-feeding-her-chicks-with-her-blood emblem. So I don't think this button is a fake or fantasy item. There are some French Army buttons which made it into the Albert button-book, because they look extremely similar to Louisiana State Militia Regiment and Confederate Officer eagle buttons.

I'm going to ask my longtime button-dealer friend William Leigh to take a look at it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albert's button book does not show that design, and all the Louisiana buttons shown are 2 piece buttons, not 1 piece.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The backmark is written in "plain-block" lettering (not mid-1800s serifed lettering), and appears to be Eastern-European lettering. That indicates the State of Louisiana was not the only entity to use the Mother-Pelican-feeding-her-chicks-with-her-blood emblem. So I don't think this button is a fake or fantasy item. There are some French Army buttons which made it into the Albert button-book, because they look extremely similar to Louisiana State Militia Regiment and Confederate Officer eagle buttons.

I'm going to ask my longtime button-dealer friend William Leigh to take a look at it.

I would appreciate that so much TheConnonballGuy

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I’m returning that button because he advertised it as Louisiana Civil War button. Can you check the example I put up for me before I make my bid? I’m gonna get a button book very soon. Thanks my friend

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TCG, thanks for the clarification. I never gave it any thought as being a foreign button.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m returning that button because he advertised it as Louisiana Civil War button. Can you check the example I put up for me before I make my bid? I’m gonna get a button book very soon. Thanks my friend

Yea IMO.
A button book or 2 would be your next best investment.

I'd also be sure to give that seller as much 'Negative' feedback as possible.
GL on your Hunts & buy's.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, as CB Guy advised the writing on the backmark is not the Roman alphabet as it's written in Cyrillic - the alphabet utilized by Russian and other Eastern European languages.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see the pic you posted. I can't find the design or backmark anywhere. Think it' something else but a CW Louisiana button.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update:: Well guys I’m getting reimbursed...buuuuut I didn’t learn my lesson. I bid on this one and won it 3am last night. I said I was gonna wait until my book came in, but I went for it and got it. That’s the gambler side in me. Not always good smh IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1614.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, your gamble bought you a genuine civil war era C.S.A. button. It was made in England during the war by the Birmingham button-manufacturing firm of Smith, Kemp, & Wright. All known specimens are non-dug, from a batch that got hung up in Bermuda at the end of the war due to the yankee naval blockade of Southern ports. None of these SK&W "Superior Quality" backmarked CSA buttons has ever been dug in America, but they are accepted by collectors as having been made soemtime in late-1864 to early-1865, for the Confederate States of America. They were just a bit late in arriving.

Important note for collectors:
Note that you have to turn the button to read the Superior Quality backmark. If you don't have to turn the button to read Superior Quality... put another way, Superior appears "above" Quality, like this:
Superior
Quality
it is a modern reproduction CSA button, made for civil war battle re-enactors... the Waterbury Button Company sells them online for about $2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread