crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Driving around on Sunday for some new places to hunt and found this one. I asked the lady and she kind of grinned. That meant no. She didn't say no but I knew that I couldn't hunt it because the the historical value.She wanted to give me a tour of this 1877 , 12 room home with 6 fireplaces!! I told her that I would come back later as I was itching for some new ground. She gave me a brochure of the history of this remarkable Victorian era home. She invited me in for a few minutes and ask me if I knew anything about coins. I told her I knew what they were but not how much they were worth. She had numerous LC,s, IH,s and a flying eagle cent which I have never seen before. They were passed down to her from family. However, she did own the place down the road that was empty and gave me permission to hunt it. It was built in the early 1900's

Picture1141.jpg

Picture1138.jpg

Picture1137.jpg

Picture1139.jpg

Picture1140.jpg

Picture1152.jpg

Indyfan73

Nov 5, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS
Detector(s) used
white's to many to list
Re: I tried. Check this place out

cool find on the location but make sure that anything you find wont become the property of the historical soc. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Indyfan73 said:
cool find on the location but make sure that anything you find wont become the property of the historical soc. :thumbsup:

I wasn't able to hunt this place because of the fact. Sorry for the misunderstanding :icon_sunny:

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that is a cool place - I would love to live in a house like that. Many old farm houses are quite big as the families used to be larger in those days. My dad had seven brothers and four sisters. Of course back then the materials to build houses were cheap.

Good luck hunting at the other property.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice try though! You are on the right track for getting the old spots. HH, Mike

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice try though! You are on the right track for getting the old spots. HH, Mike

Thanks Mike. These kind of old places are everywhere in Ohio........ you just have to drive and ask :icon_sunny:

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were I you, I'd go spend a few bucks on a Red Book. Then go back and look up the lady's coins for her and tell her roughly what they are worth. Who knows, she may just let you walk around with a metal detector if you grease the skids just a little.

Being on the National Register does not prevent the property owner from allowing you to hunt coins, or anything else for that matter.

Ask about hunting the ground away from the house. Behind the house, where the cloths lines were. Where the carriage house used to stand. Don't give up so easy.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That's what I was going to say. I have hunted two homes that are on the register. The current owner has the ultimate say. I would butter her up a bit more as well. Not literally of course :tongue3: Begging at an old site like that might be just the thing. Just imagine the early coinage that might be waiting for you...Goodluck. jgas

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd crawl up to her door in sack cloth and ashes, crying the whole way for just an hour in the front yard.

S

seger98

That's a beautiful looking place Ron. You said she didn't say "no" but you knew that maybe it's what she meant, why not ask her again & tell her you'll donate the finds? Or split them 50/50.

Thanks for posting the photos!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Almost look's like one of the house's under the X-mas tree with the train when I was growing up :wink: Cool Home....Give me a week there!! Thank's Ron

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seger98 said:
That's a beautiful looking place Ron. You said she didn't say "no" but you knew that maybe it's what she meant, why not ask her again & tell her you'll donate the finds? Or split them 50/50.

Thanks for posting the photos!

Not a bad idea. She is divorced living with her son. He didn't hesitate to say yes on the other place because she ask him.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps get one of those glass front display boxes from Hobby Lobby. Take some of your nicer looking stuff and make up a display. Take it with you. "

Say Miss So-and-so. This is what we could do with any artifacts that I would find in the yard. This would give you a little more history of the house that otherwise would forever be lost in the ground around the home."

Offer to split any old coins that you find. Tell here artifacts belong to the house and you are only interested in old coins. "We lay them all out, you pick one, then I pick one until they are all chosen."

Come up with something to get into that yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread