Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks,
As I write this, spring is coming, converting from the deep freeze to a warming trend.
I have three detectors: Minelab X-Terra 705 Teknetics Omega 8000 Bounty Hunter Platinum

The BH Platinum is my first detector, and it is a highly capable machine for the $300 I paid. I used it extensively for 1 1/2 years before I upgraded.
After I did I used the Platinum much less because the Omega and X-Terra have so many more features. Where I think it would be the most use to me
is as a detector I can breakdown and set up with a few folds and unfolds, fit in a backpack, and use in a pinch anywhere. One I can take with me
on a kayak down the river and use on the riverbanks. Or take along on a hike where I'll be climbing a lot. I already made it a little more portable
by 1. cutting down the arm cuff rod and moving the cuff down where it goes aghainst my lower arm-not my upper, and 2. cutting down the
lower rod so I can push it farther up to the upper rod, then loosening the rod-clamp and seperating the main rods so it folds in half, and also
folding the coil up against the rod. By doing these I can fit it inside a backpack, but its not all that convenient to do-it takes a little assembly.

What I have in mind is a more extensive modification, if not rebuild. The features would be the following:

1. It might need a straight rod

2. The control box would mount on a hinged or collapsing stalk

3. The rods would either telescope at both ends, or both upper and lower rod would fold in, as would the coil,making a compact
but attached unit about 18" to 20" long with no protrusions bigger than the coil

The breakdown and setup must be accomplished with either the spring-buttons used on metal detector rods and/or spring-buttonss
and hinge combination if a fold is employed.

I would appreciate all comments, ideas that might help me with this project as I think it through. I think if elegant enough it could
be considered for any other detector out there.

Thanks for helping.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got to thinking about this after seeing the new Minelab Gofind introductory level metal detectors. They are inexpensive enough to buy, but I can't
justify the expense (just got the X-Terra 705 in November) and I think a BH Platinum would outperform them anyway. So this is the plan.

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple of products that I am looking at for making collapsible stem for my kit builds are pretty simple off the shelf items. Large "truck" size collapsible window ice scraper can be for making a lower end or kids unit, and there are some really nice collapsible paint roller sticks that are pretty heavy duty, some have multiple collapsible sections and can extend from very small to very long, both are exceptionally lightweight with decent strength as well. Also, pvc such as the tough gray electrical conduit type can nest in sequential sizes of pipe, and compression fittings that can act as "clamps" and are also water proof are stock plumbing items (reducers). Dealing with the cord in such a situation seems like an issue, simple version for me is going to be velcro straps that unhook, allowing cord to "float" while I fold or contract the stem.

So far as folding type of assemblies there are a lot of possibilities ranging from really crude to elegant. The real trick would be housing the cable yet again, might be possible to look up engineering details for cords that pass through hinges or hinge details that relate to building something fully enclosed. Good luck!

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a simple idea for housing a cord within the hinged stem sections. By threading the wiring bundle through a semi-rigid tubing material like clear aquarium tube and placing it on the outside of the hinge section plus allowing for enough slack for the increase in length when the unit is folded the wiring bundle could run inside the stem. This would prevent kinking both when the stem is folded and unfolded if the tubing was mounted solid to one side and was free sliding on the other. A slot or spring type material might have to be added to keep the composite soft conduit from kinking in the wrong spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread