Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So even though I don't find nearly the quantity of old coinage that a lot of you guys do, I consider myself a coinshooter and I always find myself trying to "do the math" in my head when I arrive at a new site trying to figure out what types of coins I might find based on the age. I made this Excel spreadsheet for myself (it can also be opened in OpenOffice software, which is a free office suite you can download that is compatible with Microsoft's stuff) about 8 months ago and I know there are some others out there that will find it useful. I know there are a lot of variables at work where you can be on a new site and still pull something old, or vice versa, so take it for what it's worth. I just think it's interesting and I'm glad I made it.

The spreadsheet sorts coins minted from 1800 to 1964 as seen below. I covered everything from half cents to double eagles, so colonial coinage and specialty stuff like post-colonial issues and commemoratives are not included. Also, I did include the "never going to happens" (i.e. 1804 silver dollars will make an appearance on here) because I just intended for it to be a rough reference. The main positive for this is that the year and coin type headings are floating, so they stay with the body of the spreadsheet as you scroll top to bottom or left to right. I couldn't attach an Excel file here, but I realized I could attach it if I zipped the file. Enjoy!

Attachments

• coins1.JPG
    coins1.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 331
  • coins2.JPG
    coins2.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Coins Minted 1800 to 1964.zip
    39.6 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have the permissions a lot of folks do, but could not use a graph for my hunts. I would spend all my time as a secretary. I do post some finds. But I have a system. I have some small tins I put special coins in. I place gold and silver in one small case. I have old plastic coffee can that I place relics in. So far it is working. But I find a lot of pennys, some zincs you cant call a penny anymore. Doesnt sound like much but even a few dollars a day adds up to a lot of coins. I sell my coins once a month and do something special with it. Now I do have a small pocket notebook that I keep my daily finds in. I have a addiction to my computer. Once I set down I get nothing else done. But a very good graph in deed.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really just for research/interest purposes, not for keeping track of finds. Like one of my goals this year was to find a V nickel. Looking at that chart I can see what other coins should be around, so when I'm on a site later on and I'm finding a certain type of coin I can judge where I'm at time-wise in relation to my targeted coin type. I don't keep track of my finds at all really except for how many of certain types of finds I come across (silvers, old coppers, etc) but that's just basically a tally sheet.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone is doing a date set, then your spreadsheet is perfect!

But since you've noted that you're looking at typesets, I've found spreadsheets like yours to initially be super useful for me, but I had to go more granular, when I learned that coin types are far more granular even for categories, such as "seated Liberty dime."

I use the spreadsheets found at this site:
18th and 19th Century U.S. Coin Type Set - Type Set Coin Collecting

You might find that you can supplement your spreadsheet content with information from the typeset spreadsheets on that page. Personally, I downloaded typeset 4 to help me track what I had.

For me, though, I don't EVER find anything in the 1800's, so I was using it to take my clad and convert it to coins on Ebay. :)

My kids got this coin book for me for Father's day. I have 48 of the 57 coins, now. :)
19th Century U.S. Type Coin Album - Littleton Coin Company

Skippy

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an interesting site there - I didn't bother to go into the different varieties of the same coins (i.e. seated dimes) on mine because it's just a rough reference, but it's nice having the compositions on that spreadsheet you linked to because that will be more indicative on where a particular coin might show up on a detector screen. I know I'm guilty of ignoring signals because they're in the range of pull tabs or whatever only to realize later that that's also the range that, say, a flying eagle cent or early indian would land in and that I was on a site that could have held those.

That book you linked is through Littleton Coin Company. Have you ever gone through their collector program they have set up? I used to belong to it...probably 15-20 years ago. They'd send out like half a dozen coins every month or so and you'd have the option of either buying any/all of them or sending them back. Unfortunately I was in high school at the time and couldn't really afford their prices on most things, but it was real cool to see some of them in person when I otherwise wouldn't have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread