I was going to invent something like this

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wanted to make a device that I could carry out detecting with me that I could push a button to record where and when I found items. My idea included a printer that would print out a small lable that could be bagged with the item so when I got home I could download the GPS info and plot it on a map. This device here records the gps info and then you take a picture of the item when you find it and the software compares the date time stamp of the picture and the entry on the gps to plot the item on the map.

Probably not for everyone but I like the idea of knowing where and when I find my treasures.

Here is the link to the device: http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html

Upvote 0

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
One potential issue with something like that is that commercial GPS systems are good down to about a resolution of nine feet. What this means is that your waypoint you just marked is essentially a circle with a radius of nine feet, which translates to 254 square feet of area. Your actual find would be located somewhere within that area.

GPS works for buildings and terrain features, not necessarily for small precise points. If you were to include clues or references as to where in that circle you were that would help narrow down the spot.

Do some reading and research on Geocaching, you'll find that even with a set of GPS coordinates finding something at that location can still be tough.

Semper Fi

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a 1 or 2 inch paste on label ... write down GPS coordinates and draw a quick map on label with landmarks trees/bushes/rocks etc. Range finder to actual landmarks if more accurate location is needed.

GPS is accurate to 3 Meters with 6 to 12 channel unit. so 9 ft circle is actual position ... however over time on stabalized tripod accuracy does go up. Idea was to locate position to within channel or close to runway when developed, (many moons ago). There are a whole bunch of people who would like to go back and change all those early design decisions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread