i was robbed, community help needed

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I am making a call for assistance to members of this community, any advice or help you could offer is desperately needed. Today 7-16-2012 sometime between 11am and 8pm my car was robbed. they got 1 brink box of half dollars and approximately 130 dollars in silver halfs. this occured in the San Fernando valley in Canoga Park California. I parked my car in the parking lot of the costco on rosco/canoga. I work in this costco, unfortunatly the cameras do not extend far enough into the parking lot to capture the theif. I have been heavly road tripping lately and have not been inclined to take my finds out of the glove box. the coins amounted to 38 90% coins most of them were kennedys and bens and one walker so warn that the date was gone. and the balance was about 200 40% coins with a few proofs and an uncirculated 1986 commerative coin too. All the keepers were in used brinks rolls. And of course a searched 500 box of brinks halfs. all of these coins were out of view, the police said that someone was testing doors and likely found mine unlocked so they didn't know that they were getting tell they found it.

I am making this post in the hopes that if someone is coin hunting out there in that area and happon to come across a bank with a large amount of reciently exchanged coin rolls that fit my description, that they will contact me and hopefully i will be able get the police to care, because they basically said sucks to be you.
Again any assistance would be vastly appreciated.

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say a smart thief would carry a backpack, why not, it doesn't really attract attention.

I think you got a bit of a personal security "Wake up call".

Truly I am sorry it happened to you and you lost that much silver, but really, you can't leave items like that in your car & credit cards, ID's etc, frankly I am shocked they weren't taken as well, but untraceable stuff > traceable stuff. I would still keep your guard up, not to hard to snap a cell phone pic of your driver license and case your house.

+1, yup thats what i was thinking, the house might be next, you never know who your dealing with, be carefull! Maverick.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear this. Any chance someone followed you from a bank?

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost one of my green bags?? I still don't know if i lift it in a bank or some one grabed $500 worth from my car when i was in the bank?? When you do the # of boxes i do its hard to watch everything. I do lock my car most of the time now.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact is you werent robbed so why mislead us with a bogus title. Your stupidity is why there is silver still in circulation. It was probably someone you know.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucks, for sure. Nothing to be done im afraid. Even if the purp was caught with the coin im not sure you would see it back, nothing to trace it back to you. It is cash, after all.

How many of your work friends know about your hobby?

I sure you learned a lesson from this. Do not leave valuables in your car for extended periods of time, ever.

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
That sucks. I always lock mine even when dumping. I almost always have my gun on me as well it's only a .22 but It would get the job done. Did you check coin star yet?

Yes and no. I did go to a few of the stores that had coin stars in them, and they showed me the recepts, but zero half dollars for all of them. On the plus side that will make 630 dollars in halfs really obvious, if the guy turns them in. I called the coin star main number and they said that they wouldn't do anything for me, but that they will and do work with the police. I buged the police to assign a detective to my case early and she had no idea about the coinstar option, so i gave her the number and she said she would call them. I guess I will see.

this was 630 in rolled halfs. would this guy just sit down and unroll them, then take them to coinstar? for some reason i don't see this guy having a bank account so that rules out just dumping the box

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
Sucks, for sure. Nothing to be done im afraid. Even if the purp was caught with the coin im not sure you would see it back, nothing to trace it back to you. It is cash, after all.

How many of your work friends know about your hobby?

I sure you learned a lesson from this. Do not leave valuables in your car for extended periods of time, ever.

Lots of people know about my hobby but no one knows about the coins in the car, but any case I was in a rental car that day so no one even knew it was mine. If they decide to check out my house then they will be sol i moved and didn't update my liscense

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really sorry about this. Have you tried contacting the banks in your area to see if large amounts of half dollars were deposited lately?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It isn't more suspicious that someone brings $630 to a Coinstar, than to a coin counter in a bank. Sorry about your loss in both money and silver. It will be hard to trace down, but I wish you good luck.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of people know about my hobby but no one knows about the coins in the car

OPSEC, my friend. If you dont know what that means I suggest you look it up. Probability is high the person knows you, or knows someone who knows you. Dont keep cash in your car.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would set up a bait car and wait for them to come back and catch them with any force you feel fit. I would check pawn shops and banks. Most likely this guy had a car might live close or even coconspirators to haul that coin away. And they took the stuff in the glove box too?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
They were only worth $4 at the time, but the insurance company should pay the silver value. Did your family claim it as money or collectables?

I have no idea. That was 16 years ago and my late father was the one that handled all that; all I know is that he was :BangHead: MAD :BangHead: for weeks about all the stuff that got stolen.

Thieves suck.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
I live down the street from that Costco and have had tools taken from my truck at Home Depot. The area is bad. All the day laborers sit on the sidewalk just being a look out for others breaking into cars. I'm sorry for your loss. That really sucks. All of the banks in the area deal in lots of Halves. Trying to find someone depositing them is going to be hard. I dump at most of them on a daily basis and they all have several hundred waiting to be shipped out.

Last edited:

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I allso would ask banks if anyone cashed halfs in?!! Banks in your area.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Namster hit it, Your silver and clad was stolen by someone you work with or consider a friend. Just look for a co-worker who suddenly takes up the hobby and hits the "DREAM BOX" or recieves a "windfall" from a long lost relative dying. You will see your coins again your friend will show them to you. The question is will you have the balls to call them out as a thief and reclaim your property.

Loose lips sink ships. There is a lesson for you to learn here if you have the eyes to see it. Not criticizing your actions or trying to place fault. Thieves suck

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They were only worth $4 at the time, but the insurance company should pay the silver value. Did your family claim it as money or collectables?
Most insurance companys will NOT pay the silver value. I have checked into insurance for my collection, and it generally covers face value of currency. I can get a rider but the collection must be appraised. Same with contents of safe-deposit box, generally uninsured.

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I think Namster hit it, Your silver and clad was stolen by someone you work with or consider a friend. Just look for a co-worker who suddenly takes up the hobby and hits the "DREAM BOX" or recieves a "windfall" from a long lost relative dying. You will see your coins again your friend will show them to you. The question is will you have the balls to call them out as a thief and reclaim your property.

Loose lips sink ships. There is a lesson for you to learn here if you have the eyes to see it. Not criticizing your actions or trying to place fault. Thieves suck

I don't think i knew the person. like i said earlier no one knew the kind of car i was driving and i park in a random spot in the lot. plus alot of people who know about this hobby dont understand it

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I live down the street from that Costco and have had tools taken from my truck at Home Depot. The area is bad. All the day laborers sit on the sidewalk just being a look out for others breaking into cars. I'm sorry for your loss. That really sucks. All of the banks in the area deal in lots of Halves. Trying to find someone depositing them is going to be hard. I dump at most of them on a daily basis and they all have several hundred waiting to be shipped out.
i did check with all the banks closest to the costco on topanga. but i don't believe the person who took them had a bank account, seems to responsible for a theif. the other problem is that there is a bus stop right next to the costco so this guy could have hoped on and dumped my coins in a bank in north hollywood.

I even went into a few cash for gold places incase the theif knew what he found. they said that in absence of proof to the contrary they accept all gold and silver without question. can't really be supprised by that. a business that prays on disperation and ignorance doesn't seem too be a very moral

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I would set up a bait car and wait for them to come back and catch them with any force you feel fit. I would check pawn shops and banks. Most likely this guy had a car might live close or even coconspirators to haul that coin away. And they took the stuff in the glove box too?

can't imagine that the criminal would do the same thing again specially after such a big score. plus if i caught him then what? for all i know some kid could have taken a crime of opertunity and they are sitting on his dresser right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions