i was robbed, community help needed

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I am making a call for assistance to members of this community, any advice or help you could offer is desperately needed. Today 7-16-2012 sometime between 11am and 8pm my car was robbed. they got 1 brink box of half dollars and approximately 130 dollars in silver halfs. this occured in the San Fernando valley in Canoga Park California. I parked my car in the parking lot of the costco on rosco/canoga. I work in this costco, unfortunatly the cameras do not extend far enough into the parking lot to capture the theif. I have been heavly road tripping lately and have not been inclined to take my finds out of the glove box. the coins amounted to 38 90% coins most of them were kennedys and bens and one walker so warn that the date was gone. and the balance was about 200 40% coins with a few proofs and an uncirculated 1986 commerative coin too. All the keepers were in used brinks rolls. And of course a searched 500 box of brinks halfs. all of these coins were out of view, the police said that someone was testing doors and likely found mine unlocked so they didn't know that they were getting tell they found it.

I am making this post in the hopes that if someone is coin hunting out there in that area and happon to come across a bank with a large amount of reciently exchanged coin rolls that fit my description, that they will contact me and hopefully i will be able get the police to care, because they basically said sucks to be you.
Again any assistance would be vastly appreciated.

Upvote 0

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
favored papa said:
sorry for your loss, but question, how long did you rent the car for? the other side of the coin is This is why "It is still out there "

Yeah. There is a have you might have picked up a stole collection that some one cashed in. Lol.
We all probably have some stolen silver.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am aware of the irony, but that doesn't make me feel any better

Move on man, learn from your mistake. I think we all get you are bummed out, but dont expect everyone to say you did everything right and there was no way a criminal would break into your rental car in a costco parking lot and steal your cash. Learn, move forward. Only way to go.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Move on man, learn from your mistake. I think we all get you are bummed out, but dont expect everyone to say you did everything right and there was no way a criminal would break into your rental car in a costco parking lot and steal your cash. Learn, move forward. Only way to go.

Reminds me of a great movie quote; "Stupid is as Stupid Does"....

I think Gilmore Happy hit the nail right dead square on the head. OPSEC - Operational Security - HoooRaaahhhhh

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really a bummer.
Have you had a lot of break ins at the Costco there.
Do any of your workmate know that you might have coins in your car. I do not want to cast about insinuations but you say you have been " I have been heavly road tripping lately and have not been inclined to take my finds out of the glove box". Something you possibly could have discussed with co-wokers and been over heard by even more co-workers. Not neccessarily the fact that there were coins in the glove box but more your recent finds, which would make your car something of interest. Your car is outside of the field of view of the camera, who would know that? It could be just dumb luck on the part of the theif. Appearently there was no reason to go through your car if nothing was visable to someone walking by you car. I am not a crook so my thinking may not be valid but I would not go into someones car in a busy parking lot like the typical Costco where there is usually camaras just in case there was something hidden in the car I could steal.

Again I am really sorry to hear about this and hope I am wrong about my suspicions

Last edited:

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I've know some people, who use to do bad things, when I was a young teen. And I can tell you, than if you DIDNT have anything to lead them to believe that there was money in there, in clear view...and your car was the only one broken into...then it was some on who knew what you had.
Plan and simple. People robbing cars dont just rob one car, and be done. If they are doing it...they are getting all they can.
Unless yours happened to be the first one, and that was enough to make them happy.
Either way...2k is enough to make me muster up the energy to take my stuff inside my house. Maybe it should be enough for you from now on.

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is just scary to me. i need to hide my fireproof box somewhere that nobody knows

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
a business [hobby] that prays on desperation and ignorance doesn't seem too be a very moral

I fixed you spelling error on desperation and injected "hobby" into your phrase. Isn't that the very definition of our hobby? We rely on desperate individuals, thieves, or those who are ignorant to supply our source of silver. Earlier in the thread, you implored that I be descent. Keep that in mind when you want to extol on TNet your next silver score that more than likely the source was most likely the result of someone's collection being stolen.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let this story be a lesson to everyone:

DON'T LEAVE CASH (or coins) IN YOUR CAR
LOCK YOUR DOORS
REPEAT

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I fixed you spelling error on desperation and injected "hobby" into your phrase. Isn't that the very definition of our hobby? We rely on desperate individuals, thieves, or those who are ignorant to supply our source of silver. Earlier in the thread, you implored that I be descent. Keep that in mind when you want to extol on TNet your next silver score that more than likely the source was most likely the result of someone's collection being stolen.

I was talking about the cash for gold companies, not coin collection in that statement

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I've know some people, who use to do bad things, when I was a young teen. And I can tell you, than if you DIDNT have anything to lead them to believe that there was money in there, in clear view...and your car was the only one broken into...then it was some on who knew what you had.
Plan and simple. People robbing cars dont just rob one car, and be done. If they are doing it...they are getting all they can.
Unless yours happened to be the first one, and that was enough to make them happy.
Either way...2k is enough to make me muster up the energy to take my stuff inside my house. Maybe it should be enough for you from now on.

the police said that it isn't uncommon for people to walk around testing doors, and mine just happoned to be unlocked(maybe). but now that i think about it, i had a bunch of the paper rolls thrown about the car, maybe the person saw them thought they were full, that is what inspired them to try my car

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the police said that it isn't uncommon for people to walk around testing doors, and mine just happoned to be unlocked(maybe). but now that i think about it, i had a bunch of the paper rolls thrown about the car, maybe the person saw them thought they were full, that is what inspired them to try my car

So let's get this straight.......

Coin wrappers all over the car in plain sight.
Un-locked car doors.
Car parked in a less than savory parking lot.

Seems the only thing missing was a large sign reading - THERE IS MONEY INSIDE THIS CAR. PLEASE TAKE IT.

I'm suprised the police have been so nice to you so far. This whole thing reeks of Common Sense 101.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I was talking about the cash for gold companies, not coin collection in that statement

I know what you were referring to cash for gold companies. However, you are quick to pass judgement on them as being less than moral when in fact our hobby and search for silver also relies on the same - desperation and ignorance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions