I wish..

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me get this straight. You have 50 cents worth of cost in 40% halves found in CRHing. Spot is $4.42 when I typed this. What do you mean you can't let them go for less than $5 each ? If that is your bottom line you might have to wait until spot goes to $34.
40% halves are the lap dogs of collecting. Dealers don't want them, they are only coveted when silver is on a steady rise. If you take a pile of 40%ers into a dealer to trade for 90s, you will get hosed on both ends.
If you need to raise capital, sell them as close to spot as someone will pay, lick your chops at your outstanding profits and go on with the addiction. Cheers, JP

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I started CRHing before I ever even checked into prices..
And when I first did, the best paying place where I'm from, would give $5 each..
And I guess I just got that built up in my head... lol.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If the buyer is well aware of the market, they will not pay over spot for 40%ers. However there are people that not so aware out there and will just overpay because they don't know any better. I personally am not interested to sell at overtly high prices beyond the market but it's up to you if you want to find those people.

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, I'm attached to them all anyway.. lol
I love them ;D

But, I am a college student, and out of work right now...so my funds for CRH'ing are going down FAST.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember getting $2 per 40% coin from a person in this thread and being thrilled to death. Oh those were the days of $7/ounce. Way back in 2010

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
Commercial sites such as APMEX and Bullion Direct sell 40% halves for less than spot. Many dealers probably do also, since they buy it for quite a bit less than spot. When the prices are steadily going up is when you will be able to get a premium over spot. But when it comes down to it, you are buying $4 worth of silver for 50 cents for every coin you find. Thats around a 700% return right from the beginning. Not many banks will pay you that kind of interest. Just keep accumulating, even if it is at a slow pace. If silver goes to $100/oz (don't laugh, it's possible), each of those halves will sell for $12 - $15 and you will have a nice little nest egg. If silver drops to $10/oz, you will still have saved up much more than if you had put the money in the bank.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
I was in an antique store in San Jose a few weeks ago and they were asking $12 each for 40% ers. I just laughed and walked on

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
conleytheking said:
Well, I started CRHing before I ever even checked into prices..
And when I first did, the best paying place where I'm from, would give $5 each..
And I guess I just got that built up in my head... lol.

Try craigslist.

I just met a guy that was so proud of his Merc dime buys...he only had to pay $5 each for them. No key dates, just very worn Mercs, some near dateless, and he thought he got a bargain.

I've got 40's too. It would take $5 to buy them from me, which I would immediately spend on 90's.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you want $5 you need silver to be about 40 per oz because you will lose some to the refiner like APMEX and if you dont have 250 to 500 face alot of them will discount your price.

Try to find a good buyer first and then wait for your price. You might have some luck on craigslist getting a slight premium over melt though, check the local coin dealers and see what kind of premium they are going after right now and then meet the buyer in the middle of that. Arbitrage as they say.

good luck,
Bigheed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread