I Wonder.....

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
how often we get each others coins and dont know it.......now, i DO NOT mark coins, but when i started i probably marked 1,000-2,000 with a big sloppy blue "N".......so, my point of this thread being for all those hunters of halves that mark your coins, (i know some are embarrassed, but dont be, we all know many of you do this and we wont think bad of u if u do so) tell us all what marking you use, (color of marker, location of coin, design of marking etc.) what location of the country you live in, and a pic would be great.....also, if you dont mark your coins now, but you did sometime before, still tell us what your marking was etc. This way, we can see how far our coins go, and how often we see coins that members of this forum have previously searched :)
(ill post a pic of one of mine [i get a few every box :tongue3:] in a little bit when i have time)
keep it up and hh!

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I do not agree with marking coins. Makes them real ugly and I never understood the point - If you get one of your own back, then so what? Is that going to change anything you do? All you accomplished was ruining a nice looking coin. I get mad when I see these on coins and mutter a lot under my breath.

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
MentalUnrest said:
I do not agree with marking coins. Makes them real ugly and I never understood the point - If you get one of your own back, then so what? Is that going to change anything you do? All you accomplished was ruining a nice looking coin. I get mad when I see these on coins and mutter a lot under my breath.
haha this may be true to some, but some feel as if it was convenient to see where their coins go.....when i first started i marked them (never NIFC, proof, or really nice condition coins though), and im glad i did.....because it helped me determine what banks used brinks, loomis etc., because i knew my dump bank used loomis, so i wanted to find a bank that used brinks, but banks would never tell me because they thought i was going to try to do something illegal using this information :dontknow: :icon_scratch: so, i finally found a bank that used brinks, and that today is the bank i have settled at, and now get all of my halves from...but if i could go back in time, you bet your ass i would have still marked those halves because otherwise i would have never realized that my old pickup bank used loomis too, and that i was just re-searching my own halves, and so i would have probably gotten frustrated and quit, if it wasnt for the signal that i was re-searching my own halves.....but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, and i respect that 100%.
keep it up and hh!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I recently had a box of halves where all the 1974 D coins were painted green on the obverse. None of the other coins in the box had this but the 74 coins. I figured someone was looking for double dies and didn't want to search the same ones again???

Jim

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
jim4silver said:
I recently had a box of halves where all the 1974 D coins were painted green on the obverse. None of the other coins in the box had this but the 74 coins. I figured someone was looking for double dies and didn't want to search the same ones again???

Jim
i too have had boxes similar, it seems people mark 1982 and 1974-D halves a lot, because they dont wanna have to check them again? it seems like more time wasted marking the coins than you would waste rechecking coins youve already been through. :dontknow:
keep it up and hh!

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
heres mine...sorry bout big pics :laughing7:
(i marked on the front OR back, sometimes it was small "N"s on the reverse, at the bottom right of the design :P)

Attachments

• 1227002153.jpg
    1227002153.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 252

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
MentalUnrest said:

I mark coins but don't mark every coin in a roll. I only mark beat up ones with counting wheel damage, etc. Beat up ones have no collector value what so ever so those are fine to mark. If you sent a beat up one with deep gauges on it to PCGS, they would not grade it. I mark so I can see what the trend is like when I get my own dumps back. It helps strategizing to not get your dumps back. I put dates on mine so I can tell when I got it and when I dumped it.

I also don't mark coins with low mintages like 1999-P's or 1999-D's. Just ones that are really beat up. Judging from the pic, that 1999-P does qualify for beat up in my book.

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
so,
SFBayArea said:
MentalUnrest said:

I mark coins but don't mark every coin in a roll. I only mark beat up ones with counting wheel damage, etc. Beat up ones have no collector value what so ever so those are fine to mark. If you sent a beat up one with deep gauges on it to PCGS, they would not grade it. I mark so I can see what the trend is like when I get my own dumps back. It helps strategizing to not get your dumps back. I put dates on mine so I can tell when I got it and when I dumped it.

I also don't mark coins with low mintages like 1999-P's or 1999-D's. Just ones that are really beat up. Judging from the pic, that 1999-P does qualify for beat up in my book.
haha ya, the pic makes it look even better condition than it is haha. :icon_scratch:
if u dont mind me asking, what color of marker do u use? ive seen coins that are dated, so i might have seen some of yours...
thanks, keep it up and hh!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I use blue but I mark the two loops of the 9's in 90's issue halfs that are beat up on the obverse. I don't mark 70's, 80's or 2000's issued halves. I put the month and year on the reverse. Doubt you'll see mine in CO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread