Back to our part time job.....

mrxsys

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2010
So the banks are back open today! :occasion18: Wasn't sure if we were going to make it with those darn holidays closing the banks. Thankfully, we did make it through. Had two big bags of halves and quarters to dump. We wait until the last minute to do this, cause it's a little embarassing. Our dump bank luckily has a self-service (in a big grocery store) coin counter, which is really nice at times. Except when you've peaked the interest of somebody's sick, coughing kid and he is hanging over your shoulder breathing his kid germs all over you. I digress. I do love the self service dump bank.

Back to the point: So, we go to our coin counter. What's this? An "Out of Order" sign. Whoopsy. Did we do this? We're thinking that the bank was just waiting for someone to come and pick up the change since we may or may not have filled it up. :laughing7: Now it is off to our next grocery store dump site. The long trek through the parking lot :'(. No, ofcourse we don't have a ton of change in these bags. Why do you ask? Time to grab the complimentary cart wipeys and make sure the perimeter is secured around the coin counter. Coast is clear. 10 minutes later and we're outta there. Success, nobody mugged or yelled at us. :hello2:

All of the intital calls have been placed, now it's time to go to the five banks that were willing to part with their halves. I dread that moment when the teller is walking back toward you with the halves you wanted and you can already tell that someone has beat you to them. ??? One of the banks had $500 for us, when the teller brought them to us they were not rolled very tight. Uh oh! Not feeling too hopeful about this one. You win some, you lose some. Oh well, off to the next bank. So, $820 and some peeking from the boyfriend later.... we finally get home! We get into our coin searching spots around the coffee table and off we go. Whole lotta nothing! Starting to feel a little discouraged right now being more than half way through the $500 and not one piece of silver. If you have made it this far through my post you will be happy (or not) to know that we (at this point) found a 1900 Barber!! What a find! Didn't think that we would find one for a while!!

I have to say, what a thrilling hobby! It's got action, adventure and some comedy! I hope all of you enjoy the hunt as much as we do. Happy hunting everyone!!

Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
nice find!

what grocery store/bank am curious? not location... just name if possible

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
First, awesome story and great post. You're quite a storyteller. Great job on the Barber, too. :headbang:

You have grocery stores that have counting machines? I have to re-roll my dumps. :(

What grocery store chain has a bank with counting machines? I'm not trying to get your location; you can see from my avatar I'm in Tennessee, by the way.

OP
OP
M

mrxsys

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2010
OK.... Even though everyone of you has been awesome......you are still the competition. :) With that said, that is why I have been reluctant in giving out the grocery store name. But, after thinking about it, if you had this store in your neighborhood, then you would already be going there or atleast know about it. I think. I hope. Ok, fine. The name of the store is Jewel-Osco. :laughing1:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread