I worked on a demolition of a old fort in the northwest

T

trmark

I was working for a contractor in Oak Harbor Washington a couple of years ago, operating excavator loading concrete into trucks to be haul off to the recycle yard. The fort was the Naval Air Station in Oak Harbor. After world war 2 ended the fort built close to 200 2 bedroom dewellings which they called Victory Homes. Over the years there was renovations to the grounds, new storm systems, sewer, new roads, sidewalks,and landscaping. Around the old cottages where you could still see the old concrete that was layed down when the building was built were easy to identify from the newer concrete. And around the old buildings themselves was where the best finds were. While loading concrete from the foundations I was finding old pop bottles alot and saved them as well. One time I found a set of early VW hub caps which were in nice shape till some concrete got them. I got permission from a Demo company from Texas that we were working for and they said no problem. My boss wasn't to cool with the idea cause he thought I was just screwing around. One day he came up to me when I was off duty and asked if it was worth it as I finished digging out a 1917 walking liberty half dollar, when I show it to him he had a totally different atitude after that. I found 30 wheat pennys 1942-1945 and not very many after 1945, I found one 1928 canadian penny, 3 mercury dimes,3 rosie's, 1 washington silver quarter, and the most unusal of all a ben franklin that someone tried to shoot a hole threw it with possiblly a 9mm. The buildings were mostly wood and I would rake the ground with the excavator bucket which had teeth, well where one of those teeth left atrack mark in the ground , just in the track at the surface was this half dollar a 1953-d. I was wondering if they threw it up in the air and shot it or shot it into the ground, most likely the latter. Not all the buildings yeilded coins as some people are thriftier than others. There were lots of toosie toys poping upand lots of old marbles.I didn't get to search as much as I wanted because we were moving fast and another outfit was moving in to start construction on new quarters on the the navy base.

Upvote 0

coinshtr

Sep 9, 2004
Sounds like a really cool place TRMARK. I havent been so lucky to find something like that but I'm always looking. Have fun dude.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread