Ice Cold Virginia Gold

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I finally decided to pick up a Triton propane on demand water heater to use for dredging in the winter, and I got to test it over the past few weekends.

The first setup was with the heater attached to a tree on the bank and the propane tank on the ground. In this setup I had to use a high pressure line Y'd of the 2 inch high pressure line on the 4 inch in order to generate enough pressure to have the heating unit turn on automatically like it is supposed to. The hose bib off of the pump would not work. I now attribute that to the heating unit being too high above the pump. The water temperature was near freezing since the creek had a nice coating of ice on it in the morning and the temp that morning was about 12 degrees. Even with those temps the unit was able to heat the water well into the comfort zone and still provide enough flow to warm my hands and feet.

The second weekend was warmer and I had created a mount for the unit on the dredge itself with the propane tank sitting between the jet flare and the pontoon. This set up worked much better and the hose bid off the pump was able to provide the needed pressure to work the unit. This time I also used a hood and goggles and did some snorkeling and the unit was able to push water in the hood and it kept my head nice and warm even while submerged.

If anyone is looking for a good cheap why to dredge in the winter I would definitely recommend this unit. I should note that it does shot off after 20 minutes but as long a valve is on the line heading into your wetsuit you simply shut the valve and open it again the unit starts right back up.

Thanks and good luck out there!

GD 3-7-15 e.jpg GD 3-7-15 i.jpg photo 2.JPG photo 5.JPG Tongue Qtr Creek 3-21-15 Hoss n MP.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a lot of fun :) Wetsuit heaters make a big difference. I loved seeing all of the Proline's working :) My favorite store bought dredges are Proline :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions