ID my find, please.

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a couple of killer artifacts today.

Would love some help ID-ing the point. It's got to be a type, right?

Here's a worked quartz cobble. Most likely a hammer-stone. But a very nice and one that must have been prized.

20191122_080920.jpg

20191122_080928.jpg

20191122_080936.jpg

Here's a nice little obsidian knife. It's unbroken.

20191122_081057.jpg

20191122_081107 (1).jpg

Here's the killer point. Not sure of the type or material. It's an exceptional find for me.

20191122_081841.jpg

20191122_081857.jpg

20191122_081751.jpg

Can somebody type this?

Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like that quartz wheel. A non-native material always should make one wonder. Quartz is brittle, yet it is a very hard stone and could have been used (speculation) to peck away at something else. But I like the notion of it being a tool, toy, game piece or magic stone? Even in an area (like mine) full of quartz, that piece would grab my eye.

You’ve been pounding the ground all summer, and from what I see, it’s paid off with a G-10 (IMO). Congratulations on the Houx Contracting Stem.

Not to muddy the ID waters here, as I defer to the experts in your area to be best at identifying a local point.

But, just to add possible options on a type to this discussion I humbly submit the following to kick around:

http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Houx.html
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574603426.876456.jpg

http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Wahmuza.html
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574603744.384973.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574603766.288033.jpg

There seems to be a lot of similar styles and types on the west coast with various cultural time periods.
http://www.projectilepoints.net/Search/California_Search.html

Here’s an ask. Can you place the two points side by side for a visual comparison and admiration?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the quartz piece I know you havent posted any found in the fields you look on. That being said it was probably brought in from the creek. I believe it probably was a pecking stone like Kieth said but at the same time most of the cortex has been altered and removed. I also think many disc or game pieces started as a nice round flat rock and was probably used as a hammer of sorts and then later moved on to being a game piece that is why there is so many different sizes of game stones. So I would call it a game stone preform one that was on its way to being a game piece. Its a nice find I have found different sizes of game pieces as well as different sizes of hammers. I believe it a very nice artifact and Im glad you recovered it, rock

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that quartz wheel. A non-native material always should make one wonder. Quartz is brittle, yet it is a very hard stone and could have been used (speculation) to peck away at something else. But I like the notion of it being a tool, toy, game piece or magic stone? Even in an area (like mine) full of quartz, that piece would grab my eye.

You’ve been pounding the ground all summer, and from what I see, it’s paid off with a G-10 (IMO). Congratulations on the Houx Contracting Stem.

Not to muddy the ID waters here, as I defer to the experts in your area to be best at identifying a local point.

But, just to add possible options on a type to this discussion I humbly submit the following to kick around:

Houx Projectile Point
View attachment 1774514

Wahmuza Blade
View attachment 1774516
View attachment 1774517

There seems to be a lot of similar styles and types on the west coast with various cultural time periods.
California Projectile Points

Here’s an ask. Can you place the two points side by side for a visual comparison and admiration?

Toms finds are on or near the central coast range not saying Great Basin types never made the trip my guess was made on where found . In my area anything is possible right on the trade routes .

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Houx Projectile Point
View attachment 1774514

Wahmuza Blade
View attachment 1774516
View attachment 1774517

California Projectile Points

Glad to have your thoughts on this.

I spent a lot of time with Overstreet trying to figure out the type of this point - I knew it must be a type as it's so specific and finished.

I found a bunch that approximately fit and so got stuck. I hadn't figured on Houx Contracting Stem as the pictures in Overstreet weren't that matchy, but when I read the specs, they fit exactly.

south fork knows this stuff and when he made the call I knew he was right.

Having said that, I realize not much is cut and dried when it comes to artifacts.

The value of ID-ing this point is massive as it helps put other finds in context, so it's exciting on that front.

Now I wonder if this point is the best example of several I've found.

20191125_151834.jpg

What do you reckon?

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting with what I think might be that red/black local jasper, wow. If it isn’t obsidian it’s pretty rare. Might be a chert, also rare. But it could be obsidian based on the photo. Just can’t fully tell. The work is sharper and more structured than you see with the softer obsidian pieces where they went this way and that throughout the blade, point etc. That might indicate a different material. The obsidian little chunky one is awesome. I have a couple that are similar in general shape but type I’m not sure. Now the quartz, sounds like a cop out I know but it’s possibly a ceremonial item. This would’ve been picked up at a quartz deposit source for a special purpose. Maybe a polisher or an everyday discoid plant grinder. Not your run of the mill basalt acorn crusher is what I mean. Charmstone is another term that covers a lot of territory and is basically still a mystery as far as archeology is concerned. But I think we all know they were used for whatever their spiritual practices were, or in some case heirloom level specialized tools.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reddish Point is a Coastal Contracting Stem Cluster looks like Jasper ? And a nice Quartz Mano / Hammerstone . IMOP the two points next to the red one look like Houx Cluster with the slight side notches . Nice to see an old post back up .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread