Identification of 60 Northeast Oklahoma Projectile Point Inquiry

justheb

Sep 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I've been passed down the following two shadow boxes of 60 projectile points (pictures below) that were found in the early 1900's in northeast Oklahoma. The displays were made in 1920.

Though I've done my best to identify each, I'm having some difficulty with some of them and would like to confirm that others I've identified are in fact correct.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who I can have this done by or would assist me while I'm doing it?

For example, I believe #3 in the 2nd box is a Packard point. Who can I contact to confirm that sort of thing?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Ray Grubb Cache 1 of 2.jpg
    Ray Grubb Cache 1 of 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
  • Ray Grubb Cache 2 of 2.jpg
    Ray Grubb Cache 2 of 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We would need betters pictures of the one you think is a Packard. From what I can see in that picture I would say no. Yours is roughly made it seems and most likely a later culture.

OP
OP
J

justheb

Sep 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us.

Great looking artifacts and very nicely displayed. This link will help you ID them yourself if you'd like to take a stab at it.

South Central Region Projectile Points

Thanks for the response @The Grim Reaper !

Agreeing with your thinking, I tried to do exactly that on my own (attached); however, now I'm stuck. Is there a person I can go to in order to confirm what I think I've identified is correct and help me identify the ones that I wasn't able to?

Cache 1 - Indentification.jpg

Cache 2 - Indentification.jpg

OP
OP
J

justheb

Sep 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another really cool thing I’ve learned about these since doing this research is that these particular points were found in the same general area as where the original Packard excavation was done in the early 1960’s 40-60 years prior to that particular excavation! I guess most of it is under water now due to the construction of the Lake Hudson reservoir in 1964.

How cool is that?!

https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=PA001

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions