IDX and a larger coil....input needed

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
I have a Classic IDX SL with a Blue Max 950 coil. I was looking at a Blue Max 1500 in a classified.The seller told me that the coil would work fine with my IDX....plug and go!
I have considered a larger coil for some older , non trashy sites where I believe there may be targets beyond the reach of my current set up.In your opinion or experience would you believe that .....this coil will work properly with my detector
.....this coil ,if it works properly would be of benefit

also....would this coil pick up small targets deeper or is it more for large ,deep targets?

Thanks in advance...any input would be appreciated....Joe

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should think it would work but would you want it to ?
Not Whites best effort in my view. Rather heavy, not suited to small coins and doesn't give a great depth increase on larger items.
J.S. Hotshot does retain sensitivity to coins at a greater depth and more depth on larger items.
As you point out whatever larger coil is used they just don't suit high trash areas.

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Thanks Brian.Ill take that as one nay vote.....Joe

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
The White's Blue Max 1500 will work on your IDX, but after an hour your arm will feel like it will be ready to fall off.
Your best bet, go with the Hotshot 12 incher. It is much lighter than the 15 inch and will go just as deep, if not a bit deeper.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
jopher,
I have the IDX PRO and a Maxima 1500. Works great but is as heavy as a log after a short time. It does give increased depth, but not enough to be greatly worthwhile. I enjoy putting it on my PRO and going to local lakes and ponds but I use it for only short periods of time.
Would I buy it again? Only if I got a good deal.

grizzly bare

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread