If 1 of these2 coffee mugs isnt a crappy mug I dont know what is!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If 1 of these2 coffee mugs isn't a crappy mug I don't know what is!

Got these 2 mugs & I knew right away the one was a sure winner a 1958 Snoopy "I think I'm allergic to mornings" coffee mug in perfect unused condition. The 2nd one I figured would be pretty crappy:tongue3: just from looking at it & it was just as I expected but it would still make a great novelty gift for the right person. What do you guys & gals think is this a crappy mug or what? BTW it has a moose in different "positions" on both sides & says Alaska, you know the kind of tourist novelty type mug.

DSC02575.JPG DSC02576.JPG

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you said, it's a great novelty item. A couple have recently sold. Looks like about $10 plus shipping. You mentioned you sell on ebay for a living so go ahead and list it. If I sold full time for a living, I would list it. I don't, so it would probably end up in my yard sale for $1. That's where all my "lower dollar" items end up. Nice score on the Snoopy. I found 1 jadeite d handle a few weeks ago, along with a (jane ray) coupe soup bowl and dinner plate at a thrift.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you said, it's a great novelty item. A couple have recently sold. Looks like about $10 plus shipping. You mentioned you sell on ebay for a living so go ahead and list it. If I sold full time for a living, I would list it. I don't, so it would probably end up in my yard sale for $1. That's where all my "lower dollar" items end up. Nice score on the Snoopy. I found 1 jadeite d handle a few weeks ago, along with a (jane ray) coupe soup bowl and dinner plate at a thrift.

It seems like it has about a 20% chance of selling & that just isn't a high enough percentage nor dollar amount for me to list it. The Snoopy mug however is a whole other story! I'm months behind in listing most of my items so I try to stick to the $20 & up items & the lower dollar items just keep piling up. You know how I get my stuff & I don't have even a penny in the 2 mugs. Sounds like you made some nice scores as well, I need to start visiting the local thrift stores as I've still never made that nice score many have doing it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm months behind in listing most of my items so I try to stick to the $20 & up items & the lower dollar items just keep piling up. You know how I get my stuff & I don't have even a penny in the 2 mugs. Sounds like you made some nice scores as well, I need to start visiting the local thrift stores as I've still never made that nice score many have doing it.
Yeah, ditto on the months behind and the $20 and up stuff. The good thing is that most of the stuff I have to list is also basically free, since I have made my money back on other items that were already sold (I try to buy in lots or bundles for the most part). I do have one exception though, the Squash Blossom necklace that I shelled out 3 bills for, that needs to be listed in order to recoup those funds. I took a chance on that one. We'll see how it works out.
I'm doing my first 10 day listing with a .99 cent starting bid on something that could possibly sell for $200 or more and isn't a precious metal. I don't have anything invested in it, as it was part of a bundle of items that I purchased a few years ago and already profited well on. So I don't really care what it sells for, I just want it gone. It has 9 watchers and 3 bids and hasn't been on for 24 hours yet. I'm ready to start listing all kinds of crap at .99 starting bids, i'm overwhelmed.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually do pretty good with mugs. The good thing about mugs is that you can usually get them dirt cheap. A recent example is an Autocrat 1986 plant opening dedication mug that I bought for .25 cents and sold for $10. I'm not gonna retire on them, but any time I can turn a quarter into a $10 bill, I'm happy. BTW, I love that Snoopy mug!

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually do pretty food with mugs. The good thing about mugs is that you can usually get them dirt cheap. A recent example is an Autocrat 1986 plant opening dedication mug that I bought for .25 cents and sold for $10. I'm not gonna retire on them, but any time I can turn a quarter into a $10 bill, I'm happy. BTW, I love that Snoopy mug!

Yup turning a quarter into $10 bills is always a good thing!

It'd cost ya a dollar at my yardsale, no quarters! :laughing7:

Kind of a lot of peoples philosophy on the whole at least $1 thing tho one of the most successful sales I've seen recently the person listed the sale as everything being $1 or less. There were no real treasures to be found but he had a LOT of stuff & sold over an estimated 5000 items in 2 days. It was right around $2500 that he did. It was a major hoarder stash out of an attic of a little bit of everything but nothing of any crazy value. Mostly just junk & $2500 for a bunch of junk in 2 days is worth my time.

Most under $1 items I box a bunch of it up together & run thru smaller auctions in box lots & am plenty happy to get $3 to $5 per box.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup turning a quarter into $10 bills is always a good thing!

Kind of a lot of peoples philosophy on the whole at least $1 thing tho one of the most successful sales I've seen recently the person listed the sale as everything being $1 or less. There were no real treasures to be found but he had a LOT of stuff & sold over an estimated 5000 items in 2 days. It was right around $2500 that he did. It was a major hoarder stash out of an attic of a little bit of everything but nothing of any crazy value. Mostly just junk & $2500 for a bunch of junk in 2 days is worth my time.

Most under $1 items I box a bunch of it up together & run thru smaller auctions in box lots & am plenty happy to get $3 to $5 per box.
I hear that. I actually sell many things for less than a dollar, I was just joking around. Down here all you hear is "I give you quarter" from a Haitian with 10 items in her pile. Kind of a S.FL. insider joke. You'd have to live here to know what it's like. I got nothing against Haitians but I got nothing for them either, at least the ones that do the garage sale circuit that is.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that. I actually sell many things for less than a dollar, I was just joking around. Down here all you hear is "I give you quarter" from a Haitian with 10 items in her pile. Kind of a S.FL. insider joke. You'd have to live here to know what it's like. I got nothing against Haitians but I got nothing for them either, at least the ones that do the garage sale circuit that is.

We have those types here too! Maybe even Haitians or something very similar. They will pile up 10-15 items that are $2 $1 $3 each & offer $1 or $2 for ALL of it & when you say NO they just leave the pile they made & walk off. I tell em if you don't put that stuff back then don't ever come back! They just keep walking! But there are people here who don't mess with anything under a dollar at their garage sales. I know a few of them well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread