If at first you dont succeed

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
If at first you don't succeed

Maybe you're doomed to failure. Hanging up the coils for the rest of the week and skulking. Been hitting the old high school parkway and lot for a few weeks, survived one lame attempt by a worker to chase me off. BTW, that guy showed up today at the site where they were dumping the dirt and was just nice as could be. Got some old shoe buckles, a nice shield nickel, silver Canadian Dime, V nickel and of course as I've lamented watch faces, a few tobacco tins and strangely shaped metal strips that may have been band aids for ancient robots over the last couple weeks...

Then there's today. Buddy o' mine Mike comes 'round to swing coil, he hasn't made it down this way since they started that work so I gave him the option of hitting the dirt so he'd have a chance to get an oldie. Thought I'd show him the site and he got the old Coinstrike revved up and hit the dirt. I got a signal with the CZ-7, good high target, maybe a nice merc or barber or again a watch face, thought I'd be nice and let Mike see if he could get a winner there. Pinpointed 4-5" deep near the sidewalk. Told him to try there so he hits it and immediately exclaims it to be a dime before digging.

One inch into the dirt there's flgastones forming some old path under the current sidewalk, keep in mind these are below the sidewalk 10" deep in the cut. Signal is coming from under one of them, he lifts it up, sees dirt, still gets signal and digs another inch or two down and pops out a large cent. Yeah, an 1807 large cent nicely readable date, good wreath, hard to make out the denomination though.

He'll clean it up and hopefully get a good pic to me to post soon. No more Mr. Nice Guy. But it's not all bad, I got another boy scout bolo of recent vintage and some clad.....

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Re: If at first you don't succeed

An 1807 large cent. Wow. That's about as good as it gets in these parts...

Congratulations, and hang on to those robot Band-Aids, you never know when you might need those.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread