if i block tin cans do i miss silver coins

AlphaQuest

Jan 3, 2005
Western New York
Not sure how much you can "notch out" or discrimate, but limit your discrimation. After a few dozen cans you and your detector will get better aquainted, singing together, and working together to avoid the trash more often.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Here's WhY!
I had two friends go down to a small (old) landing on the river here!
One was showing a "NewBee" how to use his new MD!
The experienced(??) guy** passed over a good strong (ferrous) signal!
But! "Says He", tis' but a piece of iron!"
Yep! says the "NEWBEE" "That it is" !!
The NEWBEE, not knowing any better,? :-\? had dug it up anyway!? ?:-[ :-[
He found an old pistol, still had three shots in the cylinder!
SO!
Block out ? ::)? all of those "TIN CANS"!? ::)
? ? ? ? ?:(? ? ?If You Dare!!? ? ?:( ("you too can walk right over a good find")? :P
? ;)? Morale? ?;)
Dig every target!
Plus! Many an Old Timer,? ;D? used a tobacco can (TIN) to bury his valuables!? ::)

** Who shall remain Nameless,? ?:(? ' lest he soil his "rep" !? ?:-[

J

Jim Cal

Tins cans give such a large, broad signal it is usually obvious the target is something large. I do agree that you will miss lots of really neat stuff if you have the discrimination set too high. I use the least amount of discrimination I can and when hunting really old areas go with the all metal mode because of the relics to be found. Jim Cal

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
kyhills
If your at a park and get that I think its a can reading then you might pass it by however if you at an old farm house by a big tree behind the out house then dig all the cans you can.
But even in that park if you think it's a can still dig the signal a few time just to check.
It's like pull tabs sound off just like gold coins some of the time and how would you like to pass up that golden pull tab.

Red

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Tesoro rep stated that silver was the one thing that would consistently show up on any detector and if you could discriminate it out to throw away your detector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread