If it wasnt for those medling kids..................

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
If it wasn't for those medling kids..................

I was this close to getting permission to hunt an awesome 100+ year old homestead.

I was checking around the area, found an old house burried under the kudsu and it looked very promising. So I did the usual, hit the county GIS and veryified location and owner. Turns out the place is owned by an 80 year old women. She acutally owns alot of land and old vacant houses. The property I was interested in also has an old store on it, (recently remodeled and is used as a very small furniture store) and an old lake that was once a local swimming hole, then was a "pay to fish" pond by the lady's husband, when he was alive.

So my research was done, I was ready to go. My 5 year old son asked me yesterday, Daddy, can we go metal detecting?. ;D "Sure buddy, let's go talk to a nice lady and see if we can go to her old house." ::)

So we drove over to her house, little man in tow. We went to the door and rang the bell. The sweetest little grey haired lady came to the door and invited us in. I introducted by self and my son to her. I told her how my son asked my to take him MDing and I wanted to know if it was okay if we visited the old home around the corner? She replied, "I don't see any problem with that. Sounds like fun. Is this a hobby of yours?" I said, back to her "Yes, I enjoy going out, getting a little exercise and spending time with the kids. I have a 10 year old daughter, but her MDing attention span is about 1 hour, but the little guy here can go for hours and hours!" ;)

Then it happened............. Her son came into the room. Keep in mind, this lady is 80 years old, her son is every bit of 50 years of age. "Mom... I don't think that's a good idea, there may be family heirlooms there and what not and you should leave that for us to look into." >:( >:( >:( I quickly replied, "I will be more than happy to show you anything I find, and if there is anything that is important to you or your family, you're more than welcome to it. Or, if you like, sir, you can come with us." :'( :-\

Then the nail in the coffin..... "Mom.... I say no" >:( and he walked back into the other room.

The nice lady preceded to tell me that we could NOT go on the property. She then inquired a little more about me, where I lived, how long, where was I from. Asked my son about his school and teachers, so on so forth. After about 30 minutes after the final no, she said, "I hope you find a nice place to go today, but I can't help you out." :-\

I told her I would write her a thank you letter for her consideration and include my contact info in the event she changes her mind. And we left...... :'(

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: If it wasn't for those medling kids..................

joe,

That stinks. You had the green light and her pesky son came and changed it to a sudden stop sign. I would have said the same thing you did. I know that you wanted to beat the guy with your shovel, you did well and set a great example for your son. Sorry she did not let you, but it sounds like you won her over at least..I hope she will call you and your son when she changes her mind.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

Well wouldn't you do the same had this been your mother.You gave the son the ideal,he would have never thought of this on his own,Wish you had been able to search,would love to hear the finds I'm sure are there waiting to be taken,

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

ronald99 said:
Well wouldn't you do the same had this been your mother.You gave the son the ideal,he would have never thought of this on his own,Wish you had been able to search,would love to hear the finds I'm sure are there waiting to be taken,

what are you talking about ??? "you gave the son the idea?" i didn't see anything in the original post that would raise suspicion....am i missing something?? ???

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Did she have a wood shed you could have taken him behind . . . ? ;D

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

Hollowpoint The son got the ideal from walking in the room,Like i said he would have never thought about it on his own

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That really sucks! Sounds like greed was her sons motivator - like Hollowpoint said, he would never have gotten the idea if you had not brought it up.

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X

What can you say about a 50 year old that still lives with his mother?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

NC J,

bummer.
Sounds like you just about had an ok.

So.....................................

Think flowers. A nice note delivered with the flowers,
thanking her for prior consideration. Cost a few buck,
but you never know.....................

have a good un.............................

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE

Your a better man than me. I would have felt obligated to point out that 50 is a bit old to live with mommy. Maybe made fun of his clothes too. Congrats for taking the high road. lol

Hill City Rebel

Aug 21, 2006
Vicksburg MS
Detector(s) used
Shadow X5/Fisher 1266/Nautilus DMC-IIB/Tesoro Bandido/NOT ONE SE

Doggone, I had a similar experience, with an old lady who called me (I keep an ad in the local newspaper) and wanted to sell me some very nice antique books. We were dealing when her son drove his wheelchair into the room and told her he didn't think she ought to. Well, that ended that. But I liked the lady, and I went back and visited her several times. We became friends. She began telling me about how her son and his wife hated her, were always trying to get money from her, were cashing her Social Security checks, and that they stayed on one side of HER house while she lived on the other. She said she felt really bad about how un-Christian she had become. I got her an appointment with some local counsellers who, she said, helped her feel better about herself. Well, a year went by, and one day I read in the newspaper that the lady's house had partially burned. She had been burned alive in her room, while most of the rest of the house was saved. The newspaper account quoted the daughter-in-law as saying she tried to save the old lady, but the door to her room wouldn't open, and it was too hot for her in the house anyway. I immediately suspected foul play, and I reported my suspicions to the police. They questioned the son and daughter-in-law, but concluded that there was no crime committed. But I've always wondered if those two didn't commit a murder. The old lady had given me during one of our visits a small framed flower print that I hung on a wall in my apartment. I think of her each time I notice it. Strange, isn't it, the circumstances of that tale? It would never have happened if I hadn't been such a devout treasure hunter.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

I had a similar experience. I asked a young guy who worked for a property owner if he could pass my number along.

This property is really old and just screams "relics"!

Anyway. I could see the mental gears turning in this guys head... He's thinking " I'll buy or rent a cheap detector and find all the treasure myself".

The problem is these people don't realize how much trash there is around a place like that. Never mind the fact they don't know the machine and
they probably didn't factor in the digging part. LMAO!!! What a waste. I would have made a shadowbox with the finds for the guy. For free.

I never did get a call back.

Oh well. Millions of cool places to hunt. Just move on! ;)

Ridley

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

Try this little white lie,Getting permission,my grandfather while involved in the construction of this property ,lost a ring,could i please look for it,and then the hunt is on. ???

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola

Mabe the son is one of those Texas Chain Saw People an didnt want you to find the stash of bodys in the back. :P

Really sucks but hey maybe she will outlive him to.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

The line that really gets me is "Leave that for us to look into". Like if the loser would actually get off his behind and take the time or effort to do something like that! Freaking loser...........what the hell is he doing living (more than likely) with his mom at 50'ish? Hopefullly he's one of these lazy, doesn't do crap individuals who'll expire before the sweet old lady does! :) Keep her in mind Joe incase this good situation comes to be!

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

The last two posts reminded me of a true story . A lawyer wanted to buy a little ole ladys property . She wouldn't sell because she didn't want to leave her longtime home . The lawyer was in his 50's + the lady was in her 80's . They finally agreed he would pay her $500.00 a month , she could stay in the house as long as she lived and then if any balance was outstanding on the agreed upon price he would pay the remainder to her heirs . He died in his early 70's and she was still alive .

Hill City Rebel

Aug 21, 2006
Vicksburg MS
Detector(s) used
Shadow X5/Fisher 1266/Nautilus DMC-IIB/Tesoro Bandido/NOT ONE SE

I love a greedy lawyer story that has a good ending.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread