"If it were a snake, it would have bit me."

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ever heard that saying? Well yesterday, I broke numerous hiking/desert rules, and almost paid the price for it.
I was out hiking the nearby desert, hunting for rocks and what have you. It was still quite warm out, so I was in shorts. The wind was picking up, and I had my headphones in, so my hearing was impaired to say the least. Anyhow, I had been searching in a spot, but wasn't finding anything good, so I started toward the bike path, which was about 15 yards away. Once I reached it, I decided to grab a smoke from my bag, and set it down. Immediately, I started hearing a loud ass noise. Now, I listen to Techno, so at first I thought it was part of the song that was playing, but it quickly became apparent that it was something else. I took a headphone out and knew right away what the noise was.... A rattlesnake. A pissed off one at that. I literally must have stepped directly over the top of the damn thing, because it was right in the path that I just walked. I ended up deciding to shoe it away from the bike path a little bit because this is a very high traffic section, and I didn't want anyone or any pets to get bit. So, I found a long broken tree branch and gently pushed the snake a few times before it turned and retreated.
Now I'll be wearing pants, boots, and one less headphone lol IMG_20170425_171101.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes :icon_pale: Thank God they give ya warning.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew. I don't know if there is a stick long enough for me to use to push that thing away.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew. I don't know if there is a stick long enough for me to use to push that thing away.

The stick I think you are looking for comes chambered in 12GA.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an experience close to that. Was searching a burned out house trailer. Was swinging near a tarp that was piled up. Every time the coil got close to the tarp, I'd hear a buzz Don't know why but thought it was the detector or phones, nope! Picked up a stick and flipped it back. Big ole rattler sitting just under where it was. He'd only buzz when the coil got within a foot or so of him. One headphone became the technique after that in the desert!
Now I have a question for you:tongue3:. Did the hair stand up on your legs & arms? Yup! bet they did!!!!:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the hairs were in attention, no doubt about that. Lol. The thing that makes this even scarier for me is, the day I posted this, I went out for an evening walk. Wore pants and boots, had a headlamp, etc. Went and checked on a buddy of mine, and hung out til just after sunset. Walking home, I get to a point on the bike path that's not a 1/4 mile away where I saw the rattler, and what do I see? A Coral Snake! First one I've ever seen. Luckily, these guys are more interested in retreating than standing their ground

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for being a real man and NOT killing that snake. I'm glad that you did not get bitten.

A lot people take pride in killing snakes, it is ignorant, IMO. Yeah, I get it, you have kids and pets. I will get off my soapbox now.

Your coral snake was most likely a milk snake, as there are supposedly no coral snakes in Nevada. Google "milk snake". There are several varieties that closely resemble the coral snake.

The rhyme is "red & yella kill a fella"... if the red band and yellow band touch it's a coral snake...red and black won't attack.. if the red band and black band are side by side, it's a scarlet kingsnake or milk snake. OK, I've rambled on way too long... I will show myself out now...

Thanks again, and best of luck to you on your hunts!

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll climb up on your soapbox now, Tom. My Taurus Public Defender with a 410 #6 shot would take real good care of him. "The only good rattler is a dead one.":thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've killed them before, but only if I were planning on eating them. The way I see it is, if I get bit, I have no one to blame but myself.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've killed them before, but only if I were planning on eating them. The way I see it is, if I get bit, I have no one to blame but myself.

I've skun out a few timber rattlers for the skins..something about eating a serpent that doesn't set right with me.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've skun out a few timber rattlers for the skins..something about eating a serpent that doesn't set right with me.

I've tubed a few of 'em out myself. I would have to be starving to eat one....they stink sooo bad after ya get the hide off!!:icon_pale:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to my lawn mower shed the other day when this fellow stopped me. It's a water moccasin and sometimes called a cotton mouth because the inside of it mouth is pure white. This is the meanest snake in my neck of the woods.
I used a 4' long thin aluminum pole to head the snake back towards the woods but it decided to head for an old car parked behind my shop so I used the pole to flip it about 30' out into the woods.

Attachments

• Mocassin.jpg
    Mocassin.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 80

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would had killed it, roast it, then eat it. Snakes taste like chicken, and they are free food. Watch where you sit while you are outside.

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought you guys might be interested to know, I have identified the second snake species as the Western Long Nosed Snake. Non-Venomous. Very beautifully patterned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread