"If it were a snake, it would have bit me."

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ever heard that saying? Well yesterday, I broke numerous hiking/desert rules, and almost paid the price for it.
I was out hiking the nearby desert, hunting for rocks and what have you. It was still quite warm out, so I was in shorts. The wind was picking up, and I had my headphones in, so my hearing was impaired to say the least. Anyhow, I had been searching in a spot, but wasn't finding anything good, so I started toward the bike path, which was about 15 yards away. Once I reached it, I decided to grab a smoke from my bag, and set it down. Immediately, I started hearing a loud ass noise. Now, I listen to Techno, so at first I thought it was part of the song that was playing, but it quickly became apparent that it was something else. I took a headphone out and knew right away what the noise was.... A rattlesnake. A pissed off one at that. I literally must have stepped directly over the top of the damn thing, because it was right in the path that I just walked. I ended up deciding to shoe it away from the bike path a little bit because this is a very high traffic section, and I didn't want anyone or any pets to get bit. So, I found a long broken tree branch and gently pushed the snake a few times before it turned and retreated.
Now I'll be wearing pants, boots, and one less headphone lol IMG_20170425_171101.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes :icon_pale: Thank God they give ya warning.

Whew. I don't know if there is a stick long enough for me to use to push that thing away.

Whew. I don't know if there is a stick long enough for me to use to push that thing away.

The stick I think you are looking for comes chambered in 12GA.

Had an experience close to that. Was searching a burned out house trailer. Was swinging near a tarp that was piled up. Every time the coil got close to the tarp, I'd hear a buzz Don't know why but thought it was the detector or phones, nope! Picked up a stick and flipped it back. Big ole rattler sitting just under where it was. He'd only buzz when the coil got within a foot or so of him. One headphone became the technique after that in the desert!
Now I have a question for you:tongue3:. Did the hair stand up on your legs & arms? Yup! bet they did!!!!:laughing7:

Last edited:
Yes, the hairs were in attention, no doubt about that. Lol. The thing that makes this even scarier for me is, the day I posted this, I went out for an evening walk. Wore pants and boots, had a headlamp, etc. Went and checked on a buddy of mine, and hung out til just after sunset. Walking home, I get to a point on the bike path that's not a 1/4 mile away where I saw the rattler, and what do I see? A Coral Snake! First one I've ever seen. Luckily, these guys are more interested in retreating than standing their ground

Thanks for being a real man and NOT killing that snake. I'm glad that you did not get bitten.

A lot people take pride in killing snakes, it is ignorant, IMO. Yeah, I get it, you have kids and pets. I will get off my soapbox now.

Your coral snake was most likely a milk snake, as there are supposedly no coral snakes in Nevada. Google "milk snake". There are several varieties that closely resemble the coral snake.

The rhyme is "red & yella kill a fella"... if the red band and yellow band touch it's a coral snake...red and black won't attack.. if the red band and black band are side by side, it's a scarlet kingsnake or milk snake. OK, I've rambled on way too long... I will show myself out now...

Thanks again, and best of luck to you on your hunts!

Last edited:
I'll climb up on your soapbox now, Tom. My Taurus Public Defender with a 410 #6 shot would take real good care of him. "The only good rattler is a dead one.":thumbsup:

I've killed them before, but only if I were planning on eating them. The way I see it is, if I get bit, I have no one to blame but myself.

I've killed them before, but only if I were planning on eating them. The way I see it is, if I get bit, I have no one to blame but myself.

I've skun out a few timber rattlers for the skins..something about eating a serpent that doesn't set right with me.

I've skun out a few timber rattlers for the skins..something about eating a serpent that doesn't set right with me.

I've tubed a few of 'em out myself. I would have to be starving to eat one....they stink sooo bad after ya get the hide off!!:icon_pale:

I was going to my lawn mower shed the other day when this fellow stopped me. It's a water moccasin and sometimes called a cotton mouth because the inside of it mouth is pure white. This is the meanest snake in my neck of the woods.
I used a 4' long thin aluminum pole to head the snake back towards the woods but it decided to head for an old car parked behind my shop so I used the pole to flip it about 30' out into the woods.

Attachments

• Mocassin.jpg
    Mocassin.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 80
I would had killed it, roast it, then eat it. Snakes taste like chicken, and they are free food. Watch where you sit while you are outside.

Thought you guys might be interested to know, I have identified the second snake species as the Western Long Nosed Snake. Non-Venomous. Very beautifully patterned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back