If Mercury works...Then why not use it?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have used Merc for years and am not going to get into the safety stuff that has been stated well above,but Mercury is also hard to control(thats why there are infinite amounts in all of the streams and water ways of any gold field)and although naturally ocurring can contaminate surfaces in areas where it is subjected to heat,and not good to have in our environment.....thats why dredging is so beneficial to the enviro,we remove it!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa (Tropical Tramp said:
HI Kruger *****. also remember that nature has done a good job of contaminating also.

Don Jose de La Mancha el *Tropical Trampo*

Oh,I agree Don!!
I could just see a ranger or something walking up on somebody with there sluice riffles lined though!!!Instant front page!!!

Hey how is PEPE???

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
"I take it you ONLY handled mercury with gloves in a well-ventilated, cool environment? Mercury can be absorbed through the skin. Like lead, it is a cumulative poison. It causes teeth loss, hair loss, bone loss, dementia and death."
Is that why they used it for filling cavaties in teeth? You do not have to use heat to remove the gold from mercury, it can be done quite safely with acid.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUDuke said:
"I take it you ONLY handled mercury with gloves in a well-ventilated, cool environment? Mercury can be absorbed through the skin. Like lead, it is a cumulative poison. It causes teeth loss, hair loss, bone loss, dementia and death."
Is that why they used it for filling cavaties in teeth? You do not have to use heat to remove the gold from mercury, it can be done quite safely with acid.

yep,and I also prefer Nitric over the retort

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
AUDuke said:
A lot of mercury compounds are not very safe to work with. Stay away from fulminate of mercury: there's a reason it's used in firing caps and blasting caps.

As for the cavities: I had a long discussion about that topic with a retired 85-year-old dentist, who saw absolutely nothing wrong with using mercury for fillings. All his original teeth were gone, hair missing, and some of his mind was wandering around without him. But hey, he sure made a killing cleaning up the gold he took out of people's mouths when they learned mercury amalgam was bad for you. And lead-based white paint used to be the standard for the industry. Still is, kind of. Just not the same standard.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:Guess thats why I will never see a social security check,and I will have to work till I am 72.....people are over protected and living too long!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread