If you had $175 to buy a detector what would you get?

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED! GOT ONE!!If you had $175 to buy a detector what would you get?

I just came home with a BH quick Silver. It was obvious when I got it home someone bought it and returned it. No paperwork, everything out of the plastic. Well, since it was already opened I figured Id try it out. It just beeps. I could do nothing to stop it from beeping. Without the manual I didnt know what I was doing. I held it over some coins and the beeping didnt change. Im thinking thats why it was returned.
Anyway, Im looking for my 1st one. What would you get?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre 8"

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Before you write that puppy off adalabama - why don't you jump over to Forum > Metal Detecting Forum > Brands > Bounty Hunter and see if someone has the manual and can help you out...

OP
OP
A

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpnavy. I already returned it. :/ Academy Sports is very close to me :)

Go Navy! (my husband is a NFO)

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre gets my vote too. Lifetime warranty too.

OP
OP
A

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking at the Compadre online. Does it have a headphone jack?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second that Compadre' Compadre!

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Im looking at the Compadre online. Does it have a headphone jack?

Sure does and a great machine,had mine for going on 2 years now,hard to put that machine down.

OP
OP
A

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. What about the BH TrackerIV? Its a lot easier to spend less money :)

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is tesoro,...I think.

mrdetector

Greenie
Jun 13, 2013
TENN
Detector(s) used
whites GT-Whites SurfMaster 11- field scope by Thomas Colorado gold sticks-crazy rod by J D Moore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hands down whites coinmaster

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. What about the BH TrackerIV? Its a lot easier to spend less money :)
BH is never the answer. EVER! Just send me the money you'd spend on the BH. At least one of us would be satisfied!

hands down whites coinmaster
I think you mean thumbs down! I have a CoinMaster Pro & it's about worthless. Can't even get my 10yo to use it anymore.

adalabama, there is only ONE machine you should even consider in that price range. Tesoro Compadre.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From everything I've ever heard, if you don't mind not having a screen on your detector, a Tesoro is the way to go. I started with a BH, and I feel much better now that I don't use it.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
For 215$ you can buy a F2 that has a 4 and 8 inch coil headphones a pinpointer plus more. The F2 has item ID vdi numbers and can detect a penny at 7 inches

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Tesoro Campadre too - It's very simple (no display or special tones) A single knob to power on/off and adjust discrimination level. Many people mock it - but its amazingly good (it really likes gold chains).

Bury some coins in the dirt at your home (18 inches apart) and about 4 inches down. Mark them (I use a golf tee pushed into the ground over each target - with a sheet of paper telling me what is where and at what depth). This will help you learn to locate and tell different coins apart. I have nails and aluminum foil buried there too - good to know how each reacts.

NOTE: I have many different depths of the same coin sets, as well as a silver ring and pull tabs buried in my Detector Garden - If you ignore pull tabs, you will miss gold and silver rings.

I have many detectors to compare against. This one is worth its price.

You can plug a head set (1/4 inch jack) that has a volume control into it. It uses a single 9 volt battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ordered! Im so excited! Thanks everyone!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it all comes down to what u want in a detector man if the screen with the vids isnt a problem and u can live with out then yes a compadre would b a great choice if u want a screen and if it were me id got to the brand section write down all the different brands then start a list c which brands have that or a detector that fits ur needs in that budget range then when u have narrowed that down c what each has to offer that is goin to suit the metal detecting needs and areas ur going to be in to get the most out of it.IF UD like a better quality then in that price budget range well then u may want to consider used ur going to get alot of veiws and be left in the same plaxe ur already remember what works for 1 doesnt mean its goin to work for another good luck

OP
OP
A

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My TC came today, a day early! I immediately unpacked it and put it together. Went right outside and searched my front yard. I found 1 tin can and 1 soda can. I dont expect much from my front yard, Its a newer development with newer topsoil (7 yrs). Im goning to take my kids to a playground tomorrow. They are just as excited as I am!

I turned up the Discrep all the way to test it, but it still found my cans. Is there a way to tell by the way it beeps as to what is there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions