Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deus 2 for me because of its seemingly unlimited adjustability, simultaneous multi-frequencies, extremely fast recovery speed, depth, it's waterproof to 66 feet...that's a partial list.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The answer is a no-brainer for me -
in crop fields, colonial farms, or beach - Minelab Equinox 800
The very first target that I dug and retrieved with the NOX was a 1809 Spanish One Reale! Yes, I was hunting high value targets or cherry picking for silver.

Merrill did a poll on saltwater beach hunters with 387 responses - which produced this rather interesting chart:

I may buy a Manicore.

Attachments

• 1690872719131.png
    1690872719131.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 22

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great response, thanks. That's out of how many?
I don't remember how many detectors I've owned over the decades but I curranty have three that I use, plus three loaners. I don't think it's fair to compare any of the currently available detectors to older models since today's technologies are far superior to anything from years past, even for entry level detectors.

I can only add that with both the Deus 2 and Deus 1 there are more customizations available than most owners will ever utilize to their fullest potential. You can look at these various combinations of multiple adjustments as a way to create different detectors, each suitable to different situations, to a much greater extent than most other detectors. Then add the extremely fast recovery speed in simultaneous multi-frequency on top of this customizability, plus its light weight, being waterproof, with depth equal to all the major players--this is why the D2 is my number one choice, with the D1 being a close second.

But I have to say the Deus isn't for everyone. It takes learning. If you're not willing to put the time in to learn all the adjustments and customizations you'll be paying for feature you'll never use, and these are not inexpensive machines. You certainly could just take it out of the box, turn it on, and only ever use the preset programs and it's still a great machine. But you have to decide if you mind paying for options you'll never use.

Last edited:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember how many detectors I've owned over the decades but I curranty have three that I use, plus three loaners. I don't think it's fair to compare any of the currently available detectors to older models since today's technologies are far superior to anything from years past, even for entry level detectors.

I can only add that with both the Deus 2 and Deus 1 there are more customizations available than most owners will ever utilize to their fullest potential. You can look at these various combinations of multiple adjustments as a way to create different detectors, each suitable to different situations, to a much greater extent than most other detectors. Then add the extremely fast recovery speed in simultaneous multi-frequency on top of this customizability, plus its light weight, being waterproof, with depth equal to all the major players--this is why the D2 is my number one choice, with the D1 being a close second.

But I have to say the Deus isn't for everyone. It takes learning. If you're not willing to put the time in to learn all the adjustments and customizations you'll be paying for feature you'll never use, and these are not inexpensive machines. You certainly could just take it out of the box, turn it on, and only ever use the preset programs and it's still a great machine. But you have to decide if you mind paying for options you'll never use.
DEUS I and DEUS II are the machines I have and only use, The DEUS I with elliptical coil, for small gold in playgrounds etc, and the DEUS II for coins and relics and beach hunting !!! (my friend has a Minelab 800 and I generally get 2-3 Xs the wheat pennies he does on old house sites) So basically I have both a DEUS II for my primary and DEUS I for Backup..

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being stuck here in the farm fields of Indiana not much of a need for a water machine. So most all of my hunting is fields and woods, not really a park or yard hunter. Right now is the Deus 1 but soon well be the Deus 2!!!! They swing so beautiful and luv the wireless part of them. They made the 2 everything the 1 needed to be.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very first target that I dug and retrieved with the NOX was a 1809 Spanish One Reale! Yes, I was hunting high value targets or cherry picking for silver.

Merrill did a poll on saltwater beach hunters with 387 responses - which produced this rather interesting chart:

I may buy a Manicore.
Great reply. Thanks for the survey results.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being stuck here in the farm fields of Indiana not much of a need for a water machine. So most all of my hunting is fields and woods, not really a park or yard hunter. Right now is the Deus 1 but soon well be the Deus 2!!!! They swing so beautiful and luv the wireless part of them. They made the 2 everything the 1 needed to be.
Thanks fishstick. Best of luck with the new one.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware, they are completely different machines, DEUS II is a beast, compared to the DEUS I, although for small gold, i wouldn't trust it.
It's quiet on the beach, and super deep, not like DEUS I, I use a shovel and have a hard time finding shit on the beach because of depth.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I may buy a Manicore.
I may buy a Manticore. / Why ? if the Minelab and DEUS are better ?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simplex (single freq)
or
Legend (multi freq)

Best bang for the buck, either.
Very capable machines

If I were looking for raw small gold, I get a gold specific detector, usually the lower operating frequency, the better for gold
The higher freq. the better for gold, I know you know that, can't tell you how many times my thoughts get ahead of me and I kind of mis-quote myself? Otherwise, of all the detectors I have used, I too would go with the Legend for all purpose general detecting.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may buy a Manticore. / Why ? if the Minelab and DEUS are better ?
I returned the Deus II because I really didn't like it and replaced it with the Minelab Equinox 800. A Manticore is made by Minelab as you must realize. I'll be glad to list the reasons I returned the Deus II or e-mail you them if you are that curious.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEUS II is a beast, compared to the DEUS I, although for small gold, i wouldn't trust it.
I don't know about gold, but I know it sounds off on the tiniest bits of aluminum...

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The greatest advantage the Deus 2 has over the Deus 1 (besides multi-frequency) is that the signal is much clearer. Although both the 2 and 1 will detect the same objects, at the same depth, the signal on the D2 is far more obvious. You'll still hear the signal on the D1--it won't actually miss any of the signals the D2 finds--it's just louder and stronger on the D2. So you don't have to pay as much attention as you do with the D1.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll stick with my T-2SE . I don't need a better machine ,I need a better forest.
I just got on a multi thousand acre lease that should some put life back into detecting for me.
Thank you for the input ticndig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread