TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is starting to veer off topic but does show another advantage of the Deus--the removable remote.

This is how I keep my Deus remote in my line of sight. No, it doesn't get in the way when bending to dig.
View attachment 2097522

But for anyone who has knocked their remote off the shaft, you can use a tether tied to the shaft that will keep the remote from hitting the ground should it get knocked off. My Deus 2 came with one when I bought it.

Here's an example, there's many different types:

My DEUS II didn't come with one, that's crappy :dontknow:

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My DEUS II didn't come with one, that's crappy :dontknow:
The first photo shows the one that came with my D2, the second shows the one I took off an old camera that I use on my D1.

Maybe they added them to the D2 after they were out for awhile. I didn't get mine until almost a year after they were first sold.

But at least they're readily available and inexpensive. I'd recommend them to all Deus owners.

IMG_8652.jpg
IMG_8653.jpg

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And after you dig it... you will never know if it actually was something you couldn't get with your old machine OR was something you just never walked over ... ha ha ha 🤣 :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
I agree 100% and hope people are NOT fooled into thinking they need the most expensive and latest and greatest machine to find treasure. Buy the best machine you can afford and learn it and use it! People getting free $1600 machine don't have to buy them but must feel obligated to promote them! The grass is greener game is a fool's game when dealing with machines. Skill and location have a lot to do with it too. A superior machine will only up your odds if you get out and use it on the right location. Multi-frequency changed the game for me back around 2000. I've never looked back. HH!

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first photo shows the one that came with my D2, the second shows the one I took off an old camera that I use on my D1.

Maybe they added them to the D2 after they were out for awhile. I didn't get mine until almost a year after they were first sold.

But at least they're readily available and inexpensive. I'd recommend them to all Deus owners.

View attachment 2097536 View attachment 2097537
I just ordered some of these

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And listen folks, just to be clear,
as much as I like the XP DEUS I & II, there are actually things about them that I DON'T like !!
#1. I wish the buttons were Outer press buttons instead of Inner press buttons.. making it hard to turn on and off,
#2. The main control box is not attached very well, yes it clicks onto the pole / handle but many times I've bumped the machine and the control box has popped off and landed on the ground... that's a $500 control box, and both the DEUS's have this problem.. Also the clip you mount this too is cheaply made and I've had it break on both my DEUS's making it almost impossible to keep the control box on.. (then having to order a new clip)
One of my first times using my DEUS I, I was in a school playground and looked up to see 50 kids running toward me from the school, I yanked my machine and ran to another part of the field only to discover that the control box had popped off in the playground, I went back and kid said... hey mister are you looking for this ? and gave it back to me...
after which I have been VERY careful when I'm out hunting ha ha ha
(anyone who has used either DEUS knows what I'm talking about)
#3 It's a pain in the tail to sep this machine up for underwater hunting, (not something I really do actually) You have to buy an extra kit and run an "antenna wire" from the coil to the box through the tube of the shaft, and clip it close to both so that the wireless box and coil can "see" each other while detecting underwater..
Just some extra thoughts, still won't give them up..
Having both the Deus l and the ll I have never had the control box fall off the shaft. I do find it a tad awkward putting it on, but then I don't have the greatest paws either.
Actually I found the Dll rather easy to turn off and on.
I guess everyone's expectations on controls is different.
Charging the headphones is a pain, fumble fingers trying to fit the connector in. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Fisher F-75 LTD in 2007. Still my primary detector, software updated twice (Fisher does that!). So I guess if I could have one - that is it. Used it last week and it's still great . . . and I understand the easy settings and displays. I like things that are simple to use. Apparently durable as well. ;-)

Buy well. Buy once.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having both the Deus l and the ll I have never had the control box fall off the shaft. I do find it a tad awkward putting it on, but then I don't have the greatest paws either.
Actually I found the Dll rather easy to turn off and on.
I guess everyone's expectations on controls is different.
Charging the headphones is a pain, fumble fingers trying to fit the connector in. :laughing7:
I have a hard time getting those pins to line up just right to charge the coil with that clip on charging clip.. once on its ok.. but it can be a pain and it only goes on one way...

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Fisher F-75 LTD in 2007. Still my primary detector, software updated twice (Fisher does that!). So I guess if I could have one - that is it. Used it last week and it's still great . . . and I understand the easy settings and displays. I like things that are simple to use. Apparently durable as well. ;-)

Buy well. Buy once.
Thanks for those comments Charlie. Sounds like you have your winner there.

botics

Dec 6, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, 17" and 6" Coils
Minelab Excalibur II, 10" Coil
AT Pro, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own several detectors but I mainly do relic. I’m really shocked how many members swear by the Dues II. Just got a Manticore and was thinking about getting an AT Max but I think I need to really look into the DII. I own the AT Gold and Pro but I am doing creek/river detecting. I have an Axiom I but not used yet so I’ve been on the fence as to what is next….. DII western NC hmmm.,

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is where I have to disagree, I use my DEUS I in playgrounds and there are many coin target signals my friend with a Minelab 800 can get but I can't, (too deep) (I know the comparison is not with Minelab but....) later when I switch to the DEUS II for field and coin hunting there is nothing that he can get that I can't, which makes the DEUS II equal to the Minelab, which means the DEUS II gets better depth than the DEUS I.
Just my opinion...
That certainly could be true for you.

For myself, when I've adjusted both the D1 and D2 optimally for any given situation, I see no difference regarding depth. But the signal is much clearing, more distinct, and louder on the D2 than D1, meaning I'm more likely not to dismiss what on the D1 would be an iffy and usually very faint signal--often so faint that if I'm not paying attention I may miss it.

Try setting up both your D1 and D2 as best you can for your location, then detect with the D2 but don't dig the signal until you see if the D1 with also detect it. If it doesn't detect it, try adjusting the D1 until it does--you'll probably be able to get it to see the target, but it may be iffy or very faint and therefore easy to miss. If it does detect it even faintly, that means they detect to the same depth but one is obviously a clearer, less easily missed, signal.

Of course we all detect differently and in different locations, so perhaps for you the D2 is definitively deeper.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own several detectors but I mainly do relic. I’m really shocked how many members swear by the Dues II. Just got a Manticore and was thinking about getting an AT Max but I think I need to really look into the DII. I own the AT Gold and Pro but I am doing creek/river detecting. I have an Axiom I but not used yet so I’ve been on the fence as to what is next….. DII western NC hmmm.,
And if you could only keep one of those, which?

botics

Dec 6, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, 17" and 6" Coils
Minelab Excalibur II, 10" Coil
AT Pro, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX 3030 until I give the AXIOM a go

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Over several years, I’ve tried , tested or used a sampling of just about everything out there and I have the one detector I’ll keep…..Deus II

Just FYI… I didn’t buy all those detectors. I had access to Kellyco’s total inventory in my role as their main tester before Kellyco was sold to the present owners.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for responding ColonelDan. Sounds like you certainly have had a great opportunity to do some comparing. What's the story on Kellyco?

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for responding ColonelDan. Sounds like you certainly have had a great opportunity to do some comparing. What's the story on Kellyco?
Treasure_Hunter, my good friend, then an employee of Kellyco and our Treasure Net moderator introduced me to the Kellyco staff. I agreed to become the primary tester when Stu Auerbach, Kellyco's founder, still owned the company. I did so as a retirement activity and on a strictly voluntary basis. Why? As I told them, I didn't want the obligations that came with a paycheck that I didn't need anyway and which allowed me to retain my independence.
When Stu died several years ago, the family sold the business to a Tennessee based group who maintained stores in the original Orlando location and in Tennessee. They eventually closed the Orlando office as well as the Tennessee office I believe and are now online only.

During the time I was associated with Kellyco, I was fortunate enough to put everything in their extensive inventory through the wringer....and I did. As a result, I learned much about the products and manufacturers. Now a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then and there have been major improvements in metal detecting equipment across the board. Having said that, I still have my preferences based on my experience.

Treasure_Hunter may chime in here and provide more detail but the above is sort of an executive summary.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, my good friend, then an employee of Kellyco and our Treasure Net moderator introduced me to the Kellyco staff. I agreed to become the primary tester when Stu Auerbach, Kellyco's founder, still owned the company. I did so as a retirement activity and on a strictly voluntary basis. Why? As I told them, I didn't want the obligations that came with a paycheck that I didn't need anyway and which allowed me to retain my independence.
When Stu died several years ago, the family sold the business to a Tennessee based group who maintained stores in the original Orlando location and in Tennessee. They eventually closed the Orlando office as well as the Tennessee office I believe and are now online only.

During the time I was associated with Kellyco, I was fortunate enough to put everything in their extensive inventory through the wringer....and I did. As a result, I learned much about the products and manufacturers. Now a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then and there have been major improvements in metal detecting equipment across the board. Having said that, I still have my preferences based on my experience.

Treasure_Hunter may chime in here and provide more detail but the above is sort of an executive summary.
An excellent summary ColonelDan , of both the the history of Kellyco and your association with them. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread