Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A unc 83' clad can even be worth $50. You would need 9 silver quarters to earn that much.

OK, so the post about the '83s convinced me to go through a batch of coins. I found four of them, but all were well-circulated. I also checked eBay selling prices.

Conclusions:

1. I'm going to pay attention to CWRs now on the off-occasions I get quarters--which typically I only do in batches of $50 to $200.

2. On the even rarer occasions I get clear-wrapped boxes, I still won't bother to break the rolls open to do date searches.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
An uncirculated 78 clad will look the same as an uncirculated 83 clad from the rim. In my opinion, it doesn't take any longer if you check the uncirculated rims on the off-chance that you stumble upon an '83. When uncovering a turned in collection (the premise behind your Clues thread), even more attention should be paid to the clad quarters as you will have a better chance at finding the '83 specimen.

Randomly checking bank boxes of quarter -- I would only check the clean rims.
Checking CWR, especially when all indications that it is a collection turned in -- I would check them all.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
An uncirculated 78 clad will look the same as an uncirculated 83 clad from the rim. In my opinion, it doesn't take any longer if you check the uncirculated rims on the off-chance that you stumble upon an '83. When uncovering a turned in collection (the premise behind your Clues thread), even more attention should be paid to the clad quarters as you will have a better chance at finding the '83 specimen.

Randomly checking bank boxes of quarter -- I would only check the clean rims.
Checking CWR, especially when all indications that it is a collection turned in -- I would check them all.

Thank you for enlightening me on the subject of these 1983 coins. Are these circulated ones worth saving as well?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thank you for enlightening me on the subject of these 1983 coins. Are these circulated ones worth saving as well?

In XF and above, I would especially considering that you have 25 cents "invested" in each. They'll be worth more than all the tons of NIFC halves that new hunters like to hoard. If you are interested, go through my past posts (about a month and half). You'll find a response in a thread related to the National Park quarters. I linked a story on the value of the '83 qtrs.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
40% eisenhower, or mistakenly put 40% ken?

40% Ikes. IOW someone broke up a couple of sets once upon a time. Soooo, worth almost $10 each at current melt. Since the Ike was coined to be twice the weight of the half it's like finding 2 40% halves per box, along with a pair of 90%'ers instead of the Peace Dollar. I've only managed one more bag since then and didn't find anything, but then I do have all those "72's to glean yet...

Rascal

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that the '83s are primarily a condition rarity, so I imagine the nicer ones will stick out too on an edge check--older high-grade clad coins have some patination to them lending a deeper color to the copper core.

I went back to check my clad coins that I saved from that silver hoard--no '83s. Apart from the '65-'70 coins, I kept an '84 and an '85 so if there was a nice '83 in the lot I guess I would have put it aside as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread