Illegal Dumpster Diving???

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
I just heard this story and I'm checking with everyone to see if they heard anything like this. The story is that a person spotted a bunch of scrap metal in a dumpster and then got permission to pull it out from the property owner. No problem with the property owner at all. Later this same person was charged by the police for stealing property from the waste management company who ran the dumpster service. Seems rediculus (and is so) but the story goes that the dumpster companies are prosecuting people for dumpster diving because they are afraid that they would be held liable if someone hurts themselves climbing in or out of the dumpster. They can do this because they say once something goes into the dumpster it is their property!!!!! Any thoughts on this?

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is ridiculous, but legally they are probably correct. Too many people are sue happy now adays, trying to get a large chunk of cash for nothing. And these ambulance chasing lawyers are a big part of it, as they want their 60% of the pie.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
where I live the city passed a law to state on the bulky item / brush pick up days anything by your curb or in the alley behind your house is there property and would be ileagle to pick up!

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
On the street and in the dumpster are two different things.

In a dumptster it remains property of the bussines owner untill it goes into the truck. The guy being charged needs to spend some time with the prosecuters office. The dumpster itself belongs to the refuse co. and being so they will claim ownership of all materials in it. The crux of these arguments would be that if the property owner climbed in then he would be ok in the eyes of the refuse co. Sooo it would follow that any person having the permision of the land owner would also would be ok.

Could be straightened out with out a lawyer, and with minimal court time. No I am not a lawyer, but a little bit of straight thinking and foot work will go a long way. What I would like to know is how the refuse hauler knew he was in the dumpster.

Jeff

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean to tell me that, every time my wife throws my clothes in the dumpster, I can't get them out without being prosecuted?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread