Scrapping as a business

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I was just wondering how many of you do scrapping as an actual business, and what sort of income you manage from it. I don't mean actually owning a scrap yard type of business, I mean just you, a truck and loads of scrap metals. I have been a small part time scrapper for about 2 years now, and I was wondering if buying a used truck and making a go of it as an actual part time business is a viable ideas. Thanks in advance for your feedback, and any advice or tips you could offer are appreciated!

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
If you can find the metal, I think you can do well. I'm in a rural area and a few years back there were many other people around scrapping. They have a great deal of it cleaned up around here. So if you know where to look and find enough to keep busy, go for it. You might try advertising to clean up properties for the general public and real estate companies. Just be sure to figure your estimates so that you will be able to dispose of the unwanted stuff and still make a good profit on the good stuff.
Don't forget to figure in your mileage from the sites to the scrap yard and the landfill.
Good luck,
you can do it if you put your mind and back muscles into it.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I don't do it for a bussiness just to earn a little extra cash to suplement my fixed income usually for groceries and gas money

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go the scrapping section on this site and read some of the entries from a year or two back,some people were making some nice ca$h, :hello2:

Adventure Wolf

Mar 28, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discover
I made a pretty penny scrap metal collecting about two years back. Out off NC 96 and 98, there's a bunch of old farms that have abandoned and derelict with tin roofs. I was able to clear over 20 roofs one month. It was nice money for a college kid.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I just took a load in today and there are a lot of people hauling scrap around here. No wonder I can't get to much anymore.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
Well since the recession, scrap prices went down because there's not as much demand.
[/quote]

prices are up about 25% around here compared to last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread