Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm Being Tested

We had an old bar and restaurant in the village that had a fire. It was established in about 1800. Old history. A couple gun fights, a hanging at the mulberry tree, assorted bullet holes. The owners live in another state and decided to have everything demolished. It is now just flat land. I wonder how much stuff can be lost at a bar in 213 years.
When the place stood it seemed secluded but now it's very open. My question here is Who will bail me out.
The only thing left is someone put a toilet next to the only tree left.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
And multiple privies under the sod...

18th%2Bcentury%2Btavern.gif

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it. I ask permission but if you dont think they would care do it. That is what you are asking right?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You mean as in stepping of the road to do it? Then, no , you must ask. Even if the owner is in another state , and it's not posted or fenced, and no one cares .... you must still ask. There. There's your answer. (well.... you asked).

Last edited:
OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You mean as in stepping of the road to do it? Then, no , you must ask. Even if the owner is in another state , and it's not posted or fenced, and no one cares .... you must still ask. There. There's your answer. (well.... you asked).

Ya we all know the legal end of our interest. Imagine the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. It's about being tempted. The legal route often yields poor results and frustration. If the land wasn't in town I probably wouldn't think twice. The problem with a small town is lots of people know ya.
This post was more about others that might be tempted and have to deal with the same problems so in that sense it's rhetorical.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it.. "permession that is"

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're going to do what you're going to do. When you are in front of the judge (if it gets to that) what are you going to tell him? The guys on Tnet said you could? I don't think he's going to buy that! The onerism is on you. TTC

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just ask for permission. If granted you can detect without looking over your shoulder. Makes it much easier in the end. If not just move onto something else.
Good luck!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, ifn you was a girl detector cat (like me), you could probably flit and flutter all over the place and no one would say nothing, 'cept try to "hit cha up", ifn you know what I mean. :laughing7:
You guys got it "ruff"! :laughing7: Without all the cutenesses of the cat, I mean. :laughing7:

If they put a port-o-potty up, they probably getting ready to bring in the heavy equipment and get started working soon. I'd have my detector packed and ready, when I approach for permission to hunt it. Me, I'd probably pull off the road and start teckerring it, (but then, I get away with much anyway).

If you do try to get permission, make sure you are talking to the land owner, not some flunky surveyor, equipment operator, or contractor, that's gonna be all worried about legalities and risk-management, ifn you know what I mean. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Old bars, speak easys, and juke joints are great places to hunt. Our local neighborhood drunk says, he peddles the parking lot every morning at the bar up the street, for lost drunks' stuffs! :laughing7:

:laughing7: At first, I thought this thread was gonna be about drug-testing. :laughing7:
Advice on that, never give no one proof in hand, of anything! :laughing7:
Take the 2 week suspension, and re-chedule the test, and make sure you're clean! :laughing7:
And NO, I'm not speaking from experience! I just got good sensesses. 8-) :laughing7:
cat out, rawr! :cat:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
See, ifn you was a girl detector cat (like me), you could probably flit and flutter all over the place and no one would say nothing, 'cept try to "hit cha up", ifn you know what I mean. :laughing7:
You guys got it "ruff"! :laughing7: Without all the cutenesses of the cat, I mean. :laughing7:

If they put a port-o-potty up, they probably getting ready to bring in the heavy equipment and get started working soon. I'd have my detector packed and ready, when I approach for permission to hunt it. Me, I'd probably pull off the road and start teckerring it, (but then, I get away with much anyway).

If you do try to get permission, make sure you are talking to the land owner, not some flunky surveyor, equipment operator, or contractor, that's gonna be all worried about legalities and risk-management, ifn you know what I mean. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Old bars, speak easys, and juke joints are great places to hunt. Our local neighborhood drunk says, he peddles the parking lot every morning at the bar up the street, for lost drunks' stuffs! :laughing7:

:laughing7: At first, I thought this thread was gonna be about drug-testing. :laughing7:
Advice on that, never give no one proof in hand, of anything! :laughing7:
Take the 2 week suspension, and re-chedule the test, and make sure you're clean! :laughing7:
And NO, I'm not speaking from experience! I just got good sensesses. 8-) :laughing7:
cat out, rawr! :cat:

Pat, I know you are somewhat jesting, but there's a lot of truth in the pyschology of which you speak. The mere way an md'r looks, or presents himself, or acts, has a LOT to do with whether or not he'll get a "no", or "be booted", etc.... It has only a little to do with actual rules, or actual answers of "liability issues" and so forth. I heard of a fellow who learned a good way to get permission for front yards, was to bring his 5 yr. cutesy girl daughter along with him, to the door when he knocked (as if it were an innocent little father daughter neighborly thing, haha). And my own wife seems to get out of every traffic ticket by merely answering in her "singing cutesy voice" to the cop (is it true that cute girls get warnings, moreso than the ugly guy who'll get a ticket for the same offence?)

Back when I was in my early 20s, I was friends with a fellow who, at that time, was only 20. Drinking age was/is 21 in CA. The friend bragged to me that he could get into any bar in town, anytime. At first I thought he must have a fake ID (which was popular at the time amongst underage kids here). But he says "no, it's not d/t fake ID". So I asked "well how then, can you do it?". His answer stuck with me, and can be applied to md'ing, if you think of it:

He said here merely "walks in like he owns the place". Period. You see, he had figured out that the only persons that the door bouncers card, are people who try to stay a "wide berth" from the bouncer when walking in. You know, the persons who are skittish, evade eye contact, etc.... My friend on the other hand, would walk right up to the bouncer, with a big smile, shake the bouncer's hand, with a big joyous "how ya doin'!", and walk right in. NEVER got carded. So too have I seen the same pyschology unfold with detecting. If a cop slows down to see what I'm doing, and I become "self-conscious", and instinctively return the glance of "oh no, did he see me?", crouch down, etc... type persona, then sure enough, the cop might come over and see what I'm doing (or it might run through his mind: "will be harm the turf?" "is that allowed here?", etc..) Contrast to if I just wave and smile, or simply never look his way, then there's much less chance of such things.

Last edited:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 weeks ago i got permission to detect a 1820 house and seen the house 2 doors down was empty so asked the owner of the 1820's who owned it , she told me the local college bought it and was going to tear it down and expand there campus, so lazy me felt like i was to busy to follow up for a few days and before i knew it 2 weeks rolled bye and now there is a 8 foot security fence around all the properties the college bought , so i called and talked to the Dean, he told me that once the contractor was picked they buy the property and own it until the job is complete and the college pays them. so contact the Contractor and i am told no one is allowed on the property no matter what...the Dean of the college said if it was in his power he would let me .
so i am kicking my self that i should have moved 2 weeks ago before the contractor closed the deal since i found a 1830ish CW Infantry button in the 1820 yard , and now i will never know what was in the other yard and it will be under a parking lot before long..:(

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"walks in like he owns the place"
There ya go! I do the same thing everywhere I go! LOL!

I only wear size 6 1/2 shoe, but it owns every inch of land I stand on, usually with no questions asked!
If I can't, then I best leave or be dead.

mical66 is right, that port-a-potty is UP, don't wait for the fence!

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I said a toilet by a tree I didn't mean a port-a -potty, I meant a toilet. A bare bones toilet. Just sitting there ready for who ever. I don't think it's plumbed though.
And I don't blame pat-tekker-cat for using all the tools at her disposal.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You're going to do what you're going to do. When you are in front of the judge (if it gets to that) what are you going to tell him? The guys on Tnet said you could? I don't think he's going to buy that! The onerism is on you. TTC

I know that. Maybe I'll know the judge, maybe not. I won't point my finger at Tnet because they probably never heard of it. Maybe I'll take lessons from the thieves and criminals in court. Judges always seem to let them go. As full as our jails are I doubt there is room for me anyway.
Maybe I'll jump bail and someone will make a reality show about it. Call it "Prospecting On The Run"with Dog the Bounty Hunter.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I said a toilet by a tree I didn't mean a port-a -potty, I meant a toilet. A bare bones toilet. Just sitting there ready for who ever. I don't think it's plumbed though.
Ohh my....... :o

:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... now i will never know what was in the other yard and it will be under a parking lot before long..:(

Uh .... go to ebay, and type in a search for cat key, or cat lock key. But .... you didn't read this here on a public forum, nor did I post it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Why ones ask for our permission to hunt some place i don't know ......... Some will say go hunt it and some will say no not with out permission ......... My self i say go hunt it ......... like Tom in CA ... said if you want a answer there you got one ..........

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would get permission. That being said if you don't think anyone cares and no one is around....well it's up to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions