IM CONFUSED

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: I'M CONFUSED

:) A Melungeon (during the formative period from about 1700 to 1860) was someone who was free but thought not to be pure White in the area where the word was used - northern North Carolina, southern and western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia, southern Ohio, western Louisiana, the eastern edge of Texas, the panhandle of Florida, and northern Alabama. The person might actually be White, but of a darker strain like a Greek or Portuguese. The person might be mixed White and Black, White and Indian or all three. The White might be northern European or Mediterranean or both. A few people may have been of other races, such as South Asian (Tzigane, Asian Indian, etc.).

http://www.geocities.com/melungeonorigin/what.htm

OP
OP
WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

Right on SWR , the little people is what had me wondering .

Thanks Gypsy , do you know anything about these little people ?

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250

There was just a really good article I read a few weeks ago (and of course I can't remember where) about DNA testing they did of those known as melungeons (spelling?). The testing basically concluded that they were not of any special race, heritage, etc. They were the same as everyone else. They didn't come from any particular area of the world or anything like that. I'll see if I can find the article and post a link.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Must be like Creole and or Cajun folks.

T

TreasureTales

There is an active thread in this same category (General Discussion) that is discussing all kinds of "little people" and "giant people" as well as pre-Columbian explorers and settlers of the Americas. You might want to visit that thread and read about the "little people" found during a mining operation in Wyoming - interesting stuff.

Here's the thread title: "Was Columbus the First Explorer to Visit the Americas? The Evidence says NO!"

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2

WV Hillbilly said:
I was reading the Waterhouse Treasure thread & someone mentioned the melungeans from the West Virginia area . What in hell is a melungean ? ??? ???

To tell the truth I'm more confused now then I was when I got out of bed this morning.

Mojave

Nov 19, 2006
Louisville Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III, Whites GMT, Bounty Hunters, Raytek & Aqua Survey

There are many stories (Some you can find by googling the web) about little people, and giant people....There are many stories that I have come across during some of my research about demolition crews, blasting for subways, tunnels, etc seeing groups of these hairy little people, all the way back to the 1800's....Pretty wierd.......

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There are many stories that I have come across during some of my research about demolition crews, blasting for subways, tunnels, etc seeing groups of these hairy little people, all the way back to the 1800's....Pretty wierd.......

Anyone who would play with blasting powder in the dark tunnels while wearing burning carbide lamps on their foreheads are allowed to be a little less tightly wrapped than your normal folk.

Oh no! They must be the Morlocks! (H.G. Wells)

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

Some folks think that melungeon is actually a bastardized form of the French word melange which means mixture. In other words melungeons are a mixture of peoples from different races. brent kennedy from wise virginia wrote a pretty good book about these folks several yeras ago.
grizzly bare

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used

Charlie P. (NY) said:
There are many stories that I have come across during some of my research about demolition crews, blasting for subways, tunnels, etc seeing groups of these hairy little people, all the way back to the 1800's....Pretty wierd.......

Anyone who would play with blasting powder in the dark tunnels while wearing burning carbide lamps on their foreheads are allowed to be a little less tightly wrapped than your normal folk.

Oh no! They must be the Morlocks! (H.G. Wells)

Hey I'm not soo confused now, I guess and being as I am not too short I guess I'm not a midget???

T

TreasureTales

Midget is politically incorrect. Those of stature below 4'10" prefer to be called "little people." Why that's better than midget is beyond me.

fng68, please post that link under the following thread: Everything else - "Was Columbus the First Explorer to Visist the Americas - the Evidence Says NO!" That's where we're discussing all sorts of mysterious evidence, including the little and tall people whose remains have been found in the Americas.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other

i saw a tv show about them but i cant remember the explanation i think it was the discovery channel i am still confused too

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used

Now I know that I Need lot's of Coffee and Old Bushmills! And I'm still confused ::)

Attachments

• marines.gif
    marines.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 264
  • marines.gif
    marines.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 254

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

I'm Sea'mus King of the Leprechauns. Watch how you talk about us little people or I will move that pot of gold to the other end of the rainbow.

"Let my people go", so we can find more gold to stash at the end of more rainbows.
I'm talking to you, are you listening?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions