Second Day Out In Minnesota

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Sunday the 18th was my second day out. I'm finally getting better at using the MD. Didn't find much, but I did find my first clad. A total of 11 cents. WHEEEEEW! One dime (1997) and one penny (1993). Also found a bunch of old copper 12 guage shotgun shell ends, a .22 round (unfired), a big piece of copper (from a car battery cable), and a bunch of other junk. I thought I hit the mother load when I was in the middle of a partially dried up pond. I got a long tone, pinpointed, and started digging with my new mini shovel that I bought yesterday from Home Depot (much better than the garden trowel in frozen ground). I got down to 12" and found a huge solid iron bar about 3 feet long. Oh well.

I'm thinking this dried up pond may be a good place to keep hunting for awhile. It is a drainage pond right now for the apartment buildings built in the early 90's. I'm thinking that it may have held water a long time ago because it is fairly deep and is filled with water worn logs and tree stumps from a long time ago. There is the usual amount of junk in it, but I might take a garbage bag with me and pick up some of the junk to cut down on the junk beeps from the MD (and to clean up the park). I might even clean up more of the junk these drunken teenagers throw out here too. It is really sad how trashed this park is. But then again, it's not surprising considering it is a frisbee golf park and the only people using it are teenagers (nothing against teenager by the way). There's more beer bottle caps, broken beer bottles, and unbroken ones than anything else on the ground. Then again, the local park department isn't any better, considering they don't empty out the trash barrels either.

Anyway, maybe the folks in the old days sat around the pond and threw their pocket change in or lost their jewelry? It is fairly easy to dig in right now because it is mostly defrosted sand and is wet so it isn't all clumped up like the rest of the frozen ground. I was surprised that the MD hit on that iron bar considering how far down it was.

Well, maybe I'll give it another try on Tuesday morning before work. It will be nice in a few weeks when the ground is a little more 'defrosted'. Then I can hunt other likely places like around the huge pines that people must have sat under to rest. Wish me luck.

Later, Ryan

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your finds! Good luck on your return. :)

Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions