Im getting antsy about an upcoming tag sale!! Advice?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm getting antsy about an upcoming tag sale!! Advice?

There is a tag sale coming up soon, and it has some pretty good items.

I'd certainly like to hit a home run. Our sales have been soft for the past summer, and we got hammered in August. August sales were absolutely horrid.

Anyway, I am getting antsy about this tag sale. I still prefer estate auctions. I hate the frenzied pace of the opening minutes of an estate sale, with my fate resting upon who is in line before me, how quick and knowledgeable they are, and how items are priced.

I've already studied the pics so much that I feel like my eyeballs are going to fall out.

I am already getting antsy, and jittery, and the address won't be posted for days and days!

I am really thinking about getting up at 4:00 am to be at the sale by 5:00.

Got any advice on dealing with the opening minutes of the sale, and the antsy, apprehensive feeling I have settling in the pit of my stomach?

White Shaddow

Nov 26, 2009
When I go into a sale like that I find a box there to put the smalls in and I make sold stickers to put on anything that's too big for the box.And if I see something that someone got befor me I ask them if they want to sell it after they buy it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is a "tag sale" ? how does it work ?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try to be one of the first if not the first in line at a good sounding estate sales. That being said, i've found that when I get all riled up about a sale (which I still do every now and then), I usually get let down when I get there, at the reality of it all. Crazy high prices and good stuff shown in photos either already sold or not there at all. I'm more of a "hope for the best but expect the worst" kind of person.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any advice on dealing with the opening minutes of the sale, and the antsy, apprehensive feeling I have settling in the pit of my stomach?

Yes, I have some sound advice. It seems you've already done your homework, but you must dress accordingly too; shin guards, cup, elbow & knee guards. Remember the first few minutes are the most important, so be aggressive and take out some of the younger ones first, then you can take your time with the older folk. :icon_thumright:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I have some sound advice. It seems you've already done your homework, but you must dress accordingly too; shin guards, cup, elbow & knee guards. Remember the first few minutes are the most important, so be aggressive and take out some of the younger ones first, then you can take your time with the older folk. :icon_thumright:

So that was you? I have been to several hectic estate sales where older folks have grabbed stuff from me, pushed me out of the way, and completely ignored my presence... Seemingly because I am a "young one".

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
So that was you? I have been to several hectic estate sales where older folks have grabbed stuff from me, pushed me out of the way, and completely ignored my presence... Seemingly because I am a "young one".

I don't have that problem, I have a problem with authority. It kind of falls into that respect your elders thing, I say the hell with that. I don't give away my respect, you have to earn it.

GO GO gaijin bash!

OK inside joke but still funny to me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
.... I am not sure Jeff but i think it is a sale were all the sale items have price tags on them........ And they have a start time say like 8 AM and then they give out numbers to everyone like one to a hunderd... And they only let in the first 20 numbered tickets in and when some of them clear out they let some more in.... I think i am not sure........

Greg613

Greenie
Jun 20, 2008
Atlanta
I have the same problem as diggum. The sales I get excited about are always too high or 500 people have been there before me. It seems like the ones I have had the best luck at are on their second or third day and I step by because I didn't have anything better to do. The last time I did these I picked up 6 watches, a milk can, and 6 mahogany dining chairs in great condition all for $120.00.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Jeff it must be a secret.... I told you what i thought it was... But I could be wrong ......... And no one here seems to want to give out the secret of what a tag sale is...Not much help here in this thread.............??????....... It could be no one on this thread knows what a tag sale is...... They are all just pretending to know......................

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well Jeff it must be a secret.... I told you what i thought it was... But I could be wrong ......... And no one here seems to want to give out the secret of what a tag sale is...Not much help here in this thread.............??????....... It could be no one on this thread knows what a tag sale is...... They are all just pretending to know......................

A tag sale is exactly how you described it.

Instead of calling an auctioneer to sell the estate, the family can have a tag sale.

In essence, every item in the home is marked garage sale style. Buyers show up during the 2 or 3 days that the sale is held, and can buy whatever they want.

Tag sales are pretty new to our area. In some areas, when you say "estate sale", people assume that you are talking about a tag sale. In our area, 'estate sale' refers to an auctioning of the items in an estate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for all the replies!

I shouldn't be worked up. I've been through this before, and like Dig said, I am usually pretty disappointed.

This reminds me of a monster-sized, 3 day auction many years ago of a closed manufacturing plant. I spent days, literally, studying the auction list. I honed in on numerous items, like a pallet of lab glass. I was hoping to buy that pallet for $200...the opening bid was $800. The tool boxes I hoped to buy for $40-$50 sold for almost $200.

I had driven two hours each way to attend that auction, and left empty handed at 8:30 pm. That was a loooooong, disappointing day.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd certainly like to hit a home run. Our sales have been soft for the past summer, and we got hammered in August. August sales were absolutely horrid.

I wish you the best of luck!!! Do you sell for other people as well?
I sell for friends , family , neighbors etc etc
I split the profit 50/50 for most things. It helps when there is slim yard sale pickings.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I wish you the best of luck!!! Do you sell for other people as well?
I sell for friends , family , neighbors etc etc
I split the profit 50/50 for most things. It helps when there is slim yard sale pickings.

Thank you.

I don't sell for others, as a general rule. Generally speaking, the buying is typically pretty good...selling it for a decent profit, in this economy, is a different story.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tag sale is exactly how you described it.

Instead of calling an auctioneer to sell the estate, the family can have a tag sale.

In essence, every item in the home is marked garage sale style. Buyers show up during the 2 or 3 days that the sale is held, and can buy whatever they want.

Tag sales are pretty new to our area. In some areas, when you say "estate sale", people assume that you are talking about a tag sale. In our area, 'estate sale' refers to an auctioning of the items in an estate.

so in effect it is just another name for indoor yard sale ?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so in effect it is just another name for indoor yard sale ?
Sort of but most tag sales are either moving sales where they have too much to haul out on the lawn, or they are estate sales where someone has passed. Not too many people call them tag sales down here.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen the name in use around here either

Yard sales
indoor yard sales
Garage sales
side walk sales
community yard sales
Estate sales (Auction)
& Chinese Auction

I'm sure I'm missing a few but
these are what come to mind

the name Tag sale was not completely new to me , Just never asked what it meant exactly :tongue3:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

It is just another name for an estate sale. Not everything is a big conspiracy... And I happen to think the folks who regularly post in the "garage sales" section are the most knowledgeable and helpful forum members on this whole site!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The phrase Tag sale is not used here either, just the following: Garage sale, Yard sale, Moving sale, Estate sale(run by a professional co. where the prices are extremely high) or Estate sale( where the family is running the sale). Here if a family decides to have the estate auctioned off, everything is taken to a auction house and sold in auction. Good luck....Scott.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread