Im getting antsy about an upcoming tag sale!! Advice?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only things run by pros here are auctions, that I'm aware of. Auctioneers in PA Must have a license.

I would hope if someone around here wanted to sell their stuff on their own in a moving sale,
they would be bright enough not to pay a stranger half their potential profit to walk around acting like their
poop don't stink

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I have to say that the term "tag sale " isn't used much here either.

In these parts, when you say "estate sale", everyone assumes it is an auction. The only exception are the folks originally from other areas of the US, especially the east coast.

I used "tag sale" in my own posts here on this forum to note that I was not going to an estate auction.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to say that the term "tag sale " isn't used much here either.

In these parts, when you say "estate sale", everyone assumes it is an auction. The only exception are the folks originally from other areas of the US, especially the east coast.

I used "tag sale" in my own posts here on this forum to note that I was not going to an estate auction.
.. I never seen a tag sale listed in my area either............ They are for the most called estate sale with the owner doing the sale...........So good luck to you clovis97..........

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
.. I never seen a tag sale listed in my area either............ They are for the most called estate sale with the owner doing the sale...........So good luck to you clovis97..........

Thanks, Keppy!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
FWIW, I still haven't seen an estate sale that was held by the family. All of the estate (tag) sales have been offered through a business that hosts the sale.

It seems like the family is giving up a ton of profit by hiring an outside company to come in and mark their items.

I do know that some of the estate sales that I've been to hosted by an outside firm, and there is no living family, or that the there is only distant family many miles away.

I went to a local estate sale this past spring. The parents had gone to a nursing home. These folks had two adult kids. One was a highly educated professional living more than a day's drive away...and then there was the other kid. I was told that the other adult kid was a dope head, and that this person broke into the home after the parents went into the nursing home, and squatted in the house for over a year, along with this persons significant other. I'm told that the professional kid had a heck of a time getting their sibling out of the house, and they were literally moving out as the estate company was marking and organizing the sale!!!!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
As a buyer I'd rather go to an estate sale held by the family. Most of those type sales the items are way underpriced.....which is exactly why it can be better for the heirs to hire a professional estate sale company. In most cases the extra money realized will more than make up for the companies commission.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself also prefer the family ran estate sales because generally the items are way under priced. Here in the immediate area where I live there are 5-6 people who do this as a licenced business, One of these guys actually buys the entire estate from the family, then has a 2 day onsite sale, what doesn't sell he moves it to his store(the nicer stuff any way) and the rest to his warehouse where once a month he has a "Huge liquidation blowout sale." What amazes me is that there is usually hundreds of people that show up for these events. The other guys just sell for a commission of what is sold...Way too expensive for me!.......Scott.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of a Tag Sale. Here when they say estate sale it is by professional or family. Garage sale and yard sale is where they put thier stuff out on drive way to sale and a permit is required. Auction is only for the high value stuff (or that is what they think)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread