I'm just interested to know

I haven't worn gloves at my job, though I should as I get pretty dirty and my hands look like calloused bear paws kind of and are rough as sandpaper. Of course, if you got a girl you better wear gloves or you'll be relegated to the no fly zone.

Glove on my left hand only. My right hand holds onto the detector. Left hand does all the digging. I don't want any dirt on my detector.

I wear gloves for the same reasons plumbers don't lick their tools.........you never know what sort of "crap" you will be digging in.

Besides that I am usually out for hours and hours on end, so when I stop to eat something out of my backpack I'm not tasting the dirt too.

To each their own I guess.
Agree. I ONLY started wearing gloves less than two years ago, out of 25+ years of detecting. They are now simply part of my gear, just like a pinpointer, extra batterys etc.

Never liked gloves and only wear them on rare occasions. Used to dig bottle dumps with my bear hands as a kid and my mom would dress all my cuts when I got home.
Many years of not using gloves have given me hard callouses that are better than gold! Starting to get them on my feet and can walk across gravel barefoot without flinching.
The only times I have to put on a glove is when I've split a nail on my digging hand. Ouch!
Of course when it's freezing cold, gloves are a necessity.

Wearing gloves now have nothing to do with having calloused hands or not, wearing leather gloves on the job I had, my hands were full of callouses. It has more to do with pokes and cuts on a rare occasion, with whatever comes with it, along with just what am? I eating, not that I've ever been that particular, I mean I've eaten hotdogs roasted over a hot creosote fire from pieces of old RR Ties, and I'm not dead yet. Gloves are by choice of course, there is no right or wrong in it, it's just a matter of what works best for you. Jeepers fella's, some guys don't even use pinpointers!

Last edited:
I don't use gloves at the beach (unless I'm wet suited up for the cold surf), but, I use them dirt digging. I like the Husky ones I get from Home Depot. They just fit me and feel good.

A wise woman once told me..."No glove no love" Im not sure what she meant by that but, i took it to heart and always use one when swinging my thing.

Whether I'm committing a crime or digging in the dirt, I always wear gloves. :laughing7:

What are these crimes of which you speak? Im intrigued....
Chub

If its hunting without permission then Im also a criminal...

Chub

gloves ......heavy leather gloves. if you cut or stab your hands it will slow your recovery time down . nail fungus under your nails ain't fun either ..don't ask me how i know.

Gloves, a must. I use cut resistant gloves from where I work. I hunt a lot of public parks and I can't tell you how many times I have dug a plug and came across broken glass; heck, even can slaw will cut you if you aren't wearing gloves. The universe is trying to kill us eveyday, why help it?

I don't wear gloves, but after reading the posts, I think I'm gonna start

What are these crimes of which you speak? Im intrigued....
Chub

It would defeat the purpose of wearing gloves if I were to tell you about my crimes. :tongue3: :laughing7:

No gloves. First, I have rather large hands and it is difficult to find a good pair that fit. Second, when I have worn gloves, I found the amount of energy expended to hold onto soil and stuff is multiplied, causing more fatigue. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back