im looking for someone to helo me with all the Golden Umax settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compadre has no vdi numbers or multi tones to "talk" you out of digging. Jewelry can be anywhere on the conductivity scale and might not always "sound good." The little Compadre just lets you know its there..m

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compadre has no vdi numbers or multi tones to "talk" you out of digging. Jewelry can be anywhere on the conductivity scale and might not always "sound good." The little Compadre just lets you know its there..m

Yep! That is very well put digger!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A perfect example: my 8 year old son dug a small locket in our backyard with his compadre. I have POUNDED this yard with an atpro..at gold..f75...cz3d..tejon...a couple whites machines and others!

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yup i know. i have a compadre. And your missing the point. I never said I was looking for a detector that just pulled gold out of the ground. And I know you need to pull junk to get the good stuff. I GET THAT!

Im just curious on the tone change of this machine. How something in one zone like foil makes a certain tone and another item like gold that falls in the same zone as foil makes a different sound. Thats all im getting at and thats all im interested in.

Thats why Id like to here from people that really have this machine put in there 2 cents.

Last edited:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well no it doesnt... mine is a bit different, maybe because it is the old tone version or maybe they dont all leave the factory the same ( it has been back to tesoro to be checked out but it came back the same so I guess its OK) With my notch width adjustment in the 2 o clock position pretty much every thing but iron has a high tone, even foil , so I lack the adjustment he has in the video to change the foil tone around the 10 O clock position he has (if my memory serves me right.) That video was the reason I bought the golden in the first place so I was gutted that mine had such a narrow window of tone control. I have learnt to make the most of the tone width control I have and that still serves me well. That duck tone that others have referred to makes detecting in the foil range far more interesting and informative than just a beep, if you listen to the duration of the duck tone , the sharpness of it. Plus having no screen is a big bonus when looking for gold, well that s my take anyway. To cap it off the tones on the golden are just so rich in information..you may just about rap the thing around a tree in the learning process with it

Thank you for the info on the tones. Much appreciated. what is average depth you seem to be getting with this?

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was getting about 5"-6" with my Umax "old tone".
I haven't used it in over a yr though.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are missing my point! If you believe that any machine "sounds" different on gold than foil or other trash, you are fooling yourself. When a company makes that machine they will be able to name their price. If you don't believe this; take 3 foil gum wrappers balled up and a gold earring and have someone bury all 4 at a shallow depth. They all sound "good". And in order to find the earring you will have to dig them all. So where is the benefit of the Golden over the Compadre or any other machine?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are missing my point! If you believe that any machine "sounds" different on gold than foil or other trash, you are fooling yourself. When a company makes that machine they will be able to name their price. If you don't believe this; take 3 foil gum wrappers balled up and a gold earring and have someone bury all 4 at a shallow depth. They all sound "good". And in order to find the earring you will have to dig them all. So where is the benefit of the Golden over the Compadre or any other machine?

That is what I wondered, for gold jewelry why not just use the Compadre? The depth is good enough, the disc is great, & as you said Digger, the Comp forces you NOT to miss whatever is above the disc setting. My problem with hunting for gold jewelry is the sheer boredom of digging pulltabs all day, lol. I have to psych myself up & say 'ok, time to see how many tabs & foil balls I can dig today!'

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad your are so smart and know everything about every detector ever Made.

But that's just what he did in the video! Just what you said cant be done. Hmmm....

you dont have one (golden umax) to prove to me the video is fake?

So i really don't care about your opinion or anyone else's for that matter that doesn't own this unit.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off...dont believe everything you see on videos. And next, if Tesoro had made a machine that would do something so amazing....why would they quit making it? Just buy you a Golden and just dig gold buddy. Just trying to help you here just like some of the others....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing done on the video was that everthing between nickel and zinc penny was notched out. An ace250 will do this in coin mode! Nothing new or amazing. It hit the small ring because it fell in the nickel or foil range. But all the gold rings that fall in the pull tab range will be lost. This machine is more suited for coins than jewelry. I dont think you fully understand conductivity range and how it all works....

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off...dont believe everything you see on videos. And next, if Tesoro had made a machine that would do something so amazing....why would they quit making it? Just buy you a Golden and just dig gold buddy. Just trying to help you here just like some of the others....
Some people just won't accept the help. If the Golden is able to avoid tabs & still not miss gold, why aren't people constantly recommending them on forums? In fact, it seems only 2 Golden users have responded to the OP. 1 quite unfavorably. The notch width feature does not help ID pulltabs/gold anymore than using disc or notching would help. The closer you can run a machine to wide open (AM mode only for me!) The less likely to miss stuff.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree scott....that is why I love my ATpro....I run wide open and know it like the back of my hand. I am almost never wrong on nickels and can call silver everytime. But jewelry never sounds the same or reads the same...just too many variables.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree scott....that is why I love my ATpro....I run wide open and know it like the back of my hand. I am almost never wrong on nickels and can call silver everytime. But jewelry never sounds the same or reads the same...just too many variables.

Narrow minded...
please watch the video Better before you respond with knowing it all. Nothing was notched out or discriminated.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what guys. You are so right about everything. You have convinced me. thanks again for all your help

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Woodknack,your probably not gonna like my advice but here goes.
It seems you want to find gold and quarters/silver bands."They" are right,sorry it sucks I know.
We've all tried and failed to find the MD that would separate trash from gold.I'd quit my job if I found one.
The gold is different tones and VDI #
Good size gold will give you a nice high tone VDI in the upper 70's
Small rings are low tones around mid 40's.so you gotta dig low to highs to get gold.
However there is hope for the other end of the spectrum(quarters, silver quarters,silver rings and silver dimes are much easier to ID and separate from clad change.keep in mind small (wire)silver rings sound and VDI like copper pennies.
The Garrett AT Pro has the best separation in clad and silver out of all the MD I've used.Depth will be around 8"-10" at max on coins in moderately clean ground.
Hope this helps

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up and read this thread because I used to be a tesoro user before I took a short hiatus in the 90s from detecting and when I got back into it I got interested in the VDI machines and changed to whites. I owned a Totec which had a target ID/depth meter and the golden umax. I loved the Toltec and I finally did the umax after I learned the subtlety of what the tones were telling me. It WOULD tell me pull tabs probably 3/4 of the time just by the distinctiveness of the sound. A pull tab or foil just sounded different. Good targets sounded off with a difference. It took a LOT of hours learning the tones and training the ear. It was a great machine, I just went with the new digital technology since I am a gadget guy, and bought a DFX when I got back into it. I think you will like it if you take the time to learn the sounds.

Last edited:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Woodknack,your probably not gonna like my advice but here goes.
It seems you want to find gold and quarters/silver bands."They" are right,sorry it sucks I know.
We've all tried and failed to find the MD that would separate trash from gold.I'd quit my job if I found one.
The gold is different tones and VDI #
Good size gold will give you a nice high tone VDI in the upper 70's
Small rings are low tones around mid 40's.so you gotta dig low to highs to get gold.
However there is hope for the other end of the spectrum(quarters, silver quarters,silver rings and silver dimes are much easier to ID and separate from clad change.keep in mind small (wire)silver rings sound and VDI like copper pennies.
The Garrett AT Pro has the best separation in clad and silver out of all the MD I've used.Depth will be around 8"-10" at max on coins in moderately clean ground.
Hope this helps

Thanks for your help.
I know where gold falls I do have a VDI machine along with a dig and beep compadre. I was just curious on his video he made the tones change in the same range thats all. You already told me you couldn't get your machine to do that. And I value what you say as you already have or had this machine. Thats all I was curious about. I never said anywhere in this post "all I wanted to do was pull gold and leave junk". I just wanted to know , the way he made the tones change on the gold rings that fell in the foil range. foil sounded low gold rings definitely sounded different like a duck or goose sound. Other people on here that don't have one were quick to jump in and tell me there is no way a detector could work the way he made it work in the video. I just wanted to here from people that had one. Thank you for letting me know how yours acted.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up and read this thread because I used to be a resort user before I took a short hiatus in the 90s from detecting and when I got back into it I got interested in the VDI machines and changed to whites. I owned a Tilted which had a target ID/depth meter and the golden umax. I loved the Toltec and I finally did the umax after I learned the subtlety of what the tones were telling me. It WOULD tell me pillars probably 3/4 of the time just by the distinctiveness of the sound. A Pullman or foil just sounded different. Good targets sounded off with a difference. It took a LOT of hours learning the tones and training the ear. It was a great machine, I just went with the new digital technology since I am a gadget guy, and bought a DFX when I got back into it

did you watch the video? would your umax make those sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread