im looking for someone to helo me with all the Golden Umax settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did you watch the video? would your umax make those sounds?

I couldn't get the duck sound but i could dial in the nickel and get a broken tone on the newer pull tabs
But it didn't help me find more gold i just dug more aluminum foil.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
That was the main difference. A broken or clipped quack

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't get the duck sound but i could dial in the nickel and get a broken tone on the newer pull tabs
But it didn't help me find more gold i just dug more aluminum foil.

You said yours was the old one. i had read on the tesoro page they would change the tones to the newer one, but it will cost money. I think they changed it so nickels are higher sounding then a pull tab.
Here are some reviews ive seen online for this detector.

Bought a Golden Micro-Max in 2004 and was always sorry I sold it, so when Tesoro came out with the new tone arrangment I bought this latest model. Now nickles are the 2nd. highest tone and the tones are more separated. Also, the sensitivity has been improved. It has much better depth than the old Golden and it will sound off on my copper Lincoln cent buried 8" deep.
This new Golden is much improved over the one that I reveiwed here in 2004. Five stars now.

The golden umax is a great detector, light/fast & loves gold rings.
It has its own language, learn it & it will preform for you.
I have found many gold rings with this machine.
Its my # 1 detector.

I think the haters on here just don't understand how you can change the tones without notching or discriminating anything. I guess im old school. I d like to listen to different sounds and determine in my head what it is. I don't need some VDI processor to tell me what it might be. I want to guess with my mind and the tones. Its called old school.. Thats the hobby I want.

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You said yours was the old one. i had read on the tesoro page they would change the tones to the newer one, but it will cost money. I think they changed it so nickels are higher sounding then a pull tab.

Bought a Golden Micro-Max in 2004 and was always sorry I sold it, so when Tesoro came out with the new tone arrangment I bought this latest model. Now nickles are the 2nd. highest tone and the tones are more separated. Also, the sensitivity has been improved. It has much better depth than the old Golden and it will sound off on my copper Lincoln cent buried 8" deep.
This new Golden is much improved over the one that I reveiwed here in 2004. Five stars now.

Its my # 1 detector.

I think the haters on here just don't understand how you can change the tones without notching or discriminating anything. I guess im old school. I d like to listen to different sounds and determine in my head what it is. I don't need some VDI processor to tell me what it might be. I want to guess with my mind and the tones. Its called old school.. Thats the hobby I want.

I called tesoro when i first got it about changing to the new tone but the man i was talking to talked me out of it.I believe he said $50 for a 2nd hand MD good luck

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called tesoro when i first got it about changing to the new tone but the man i was talking to talked me out of it.I believe he said $50 for a 2nd hand MD good luck

Ya thats what I read. off tesoros page:
If you have a NEW (still in the box) Golden µMax detector, you can have the tones changed for $25.00. If your detector is USED, the tone change will cost $50.00.

I also read the newer ones have a higher sensitivity and can reach deeper. Not sure on the truth there though. But if I were to get one it would be the newer style.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its my # 1 detector.

Sorry, but if you set up NOTCH WIDTH (notice I didnt say disc or notching out?) so that foil make a duck sound, many different sized GOLD OBJECTS will ALSO MAKE THAT DUCK SOUND, thereby causing you to dismiss it as foil. It is that simple. I use tones (19 actually) with my XT to decide what to dig. Simple stuff!

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but if you set up NOTCH WIDTH (notice I didnt say disc or notching out?) so that foil make a duck sound, many different sized GOLD OBJECTS will ALSO MAKE THAT DUCK SOUND, thereby causing you to dismiss it as foil. It is that simple. I use tones (19 actually) with my XT to decide what to dig. Simple stuff!

How could anyone decipher 19 tones in there head? thats a little much.
sure you can change yours to 4 tones but you cant make your low tone change like the golden umax!

Good for you and your 19 tone machine....
I am glad you love it and are great with it. And that is what you should stick with then if it works for YOU!

BUT again you keep missing it! Foil doesn't sound like a duck or goose sound. Its a LOW TONE. BUT the gold ring that falls right in that same FOIL RANGE sounds different! NOT low but a totally different sound(duck or goose sound).
SO if your detecting along and dont want to dig low tones. and you hear LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW GOOSE! Bam thats got my attention. Id dig for that. Could I be missing something by not digging the LOW tone? SURE I could. But look at the percentage of junk to goods ratio. I'll cherry pick then when I get bored look at the lower targets at a later date.

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How could anyone decipher 19 tones in there head? thats a little much.
sure you can change yours to 4 tones but you cant make your low tone change like the golden umax!

Good for you and your 19 tone machine....
I am glad you love it and are great with it. And that is what you should stick with then if it works for YOU!

BUT again you keep missing it! Foil doesn't sound like a duck or goose sound. Its a LOW TONE. BUT the gold ring that falls right in that same FOIL RANGE sounds different! NOT low but a totally different sound(duck or goose sound).
SO if your detecting along and dont want to dig low tones. and you hear LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW GOOSE! Bam thats got my attention. Id dig for that. Could I be missing something by not digging the LOW tone? SURE I could. But look at the percentage of junk to goods ratio. I'll cherry pick then when I get bored look at the lower targets at a later date.

It sounds easy,buy a Umax and give it a try.I thought it was the answer to my prayers too.
Ill sell you mine the box and everything.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds easy,buy a Umax and give it a try.I thought it was the answer to my prayers too.

pm me!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem Woodknack...is that we dont have the benefit of knowing where the gold is going to fall on each hunt as '53 Silver did in the video. It might be in the foil range oneday and zinc the next. I can make nickels a high tone on my f75 but this only helps find nickels or rings that fall right there with them.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry ringking, didnt meant quote you there. Ok dude, whatever. You obviously won't stop until someone agrees with you. Buy ringking's Golden, then you will find out on your own. Or just use the platinum. That is a good machine. 19 tones is actually pretty easy to learn. The first few are iron tones, it ain't rocket science (for most).

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also, by no means, a hater...I strongly believe that the Golden is an excellent machine. ...for coins! But has no benefits on jewelry; as any successful jewelry hunter will dig everything. Jewelry hunting is more in persistence than the machine you use....

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ringking, didnt meant quote you there. Ok dude, whatever. You obviously won't stop until someone agrees with you. Buy ringking's Golden, then you will find out on your own. Or just use the platinum. That is a good machine. 19 tones is actually pretty easy to learn. The first few are iron tones, it ain't rocket science (for most).

I wont stop? Or you wont stop telling me what I want and should get?

You keep jumping in to give the last word. None of which pertains to the umax. Just your stuff and how much better your stuff is. And how your trying to save me from the biggest mistake of my life.
Im a big boy and probably drive something you would never drive either. Life is full of variety. To each there own.

why don't you guys lay back and let someone who knows about this detector to chime in. I think a ton of people have read this and don't want to be part of this argument so they don't join in. AND I DON'T BLAME THEM.. Because frankly i've heard enough in this thread to make my own judgement.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem Woodknack...is that we dont have the benefit of knowing where the gold is going to fall on each hunt as '53 Silver did in the video. It might be in the foil range oneday and zinc the next. I can make nickels a high tone on my f75 but this only helps find nickels or rings that fall right there with them.

Wow, that makes it sound so simple to me. I really do not see what is so hard to understand about that last sentence.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont stop? Or you wont stop telling me what I want and should get?

You keep jumping in to give the last word. None of which pertains to the umax. Just your stuff and how much better your stuff is. And how your trying to save me from the biggest mistake of my life.
Im a big boy and probably drive something you would never drive either. Life is full of variety. To each there own.

why don't you guys lay back and let someone who knows about this detector to chime in. I think a ton of people have read this and don't want to be part of this argument so they don't join in. AND I DON'T BLAME THEM.. Because frankly i've heard enough in this post to make my own judgement.

Ya that's it, people are afraid of the 'arguing'. If people were SO passionate about the Golden, why is Ringking ready to sell his to you? You keep asking for people who own one to chime in. Maybe they already know what we have been saying, it does not do anything 'special' to give it any real advantage over other machines. PERCEPTION is not reality. REALITY is realty.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya that's it, people are afraid of the 'arguing'. If people were SO passionate about the Golden, why is Ringking ready to sell his to you? You keep asking for people who own one to chime in. Maybe they already know what we have been saying, it does not do anything 'special' to give it any real advantage over other machines. PERCEPTION is not reality. REALITY is realty.

and what about TROOPER733???
He had one and agreed with the video!! But he must be wrong too.

And yes the original guy that started this thread BACKSTRAP80 has disappeared. Probably one of the smart ones!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and what about TROOPER733???
He had one and agreed with the video!! But he must be wrong too.

And yes the original guy that started this post BACKSTRAP80 has disappeared. Probably one of the smart ones!

Congrats, you found someone who agrees with you! Now go find some gold rings with your new magic detector. Pssstt... don't tell Minelab, Garrett FT or Whites...

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, you found someone who agrees with you! Now go find some gold rings with your new magic detector. Pssstt... don't tell Minelab, Garrett FT or Whites...

This is exactly what I was getting at. Your true colors show up good!! Why don't you go on those forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions