Im new and need Help

mavtricks71

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2009
Ok some im on the hunt for a metal detector... i know absolutly nothing about them....first off, whats the top and best metal Detectors on the market for Gold & coins...... also is there a metal dtector that can detect both Gold and coins?..... i notice for places such as Garrets have there Detectors classified as "relic coin hunting" Gold Hunting" ext...... isnt there 1 dtector to do both jobs? thanks mike

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ok first off yes metal detectors find all type of metals --- there are two basic types those for in the water use (pi type machines (they work deep and are all metal only and are quite heavy --not an issue if :in water" however try to use "on land" and the weight becomes a issue quickly --)--and those fror dry land use * (which can tell one metal from another called "discrimanation")---now most dry land units can be used about the beach and wet sand ,and in very very shallow waters (never ever get their control units wet however)

high dollar units can be very costly as well as very complex to learn to use ,driving some folks out of the hobby in frustation.

what type brand and level machine you want --depends on many factors -- to start with what are the soil conditions like in the area you plan to hunt?( does the area have very high mineral content? (if so many less costly preset ground balance models may work poorly there.) how often do you plan to use it ? -- is it to be a hobby only item --or do you plan to hunt seriously?

OP
OP
M

mavtricks71

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2009
ivan salis said:
ok first off yes metal detectors find all type of metals --- there are two basic types those for in the water use (pi type machines (they work deep and are all metal only and are quite heavy --not an issue if :in water" however try to use "on land" and the weight becomes a issue quickly --)--and those fror dry land use * (which can tell one metal from another called "discrimanation")---now most dry land units can be used about the beach and wet sand ,and in very very shallow waters (never ever get their control units wet however)

high dollar units can be very costly as well as very complex to learn to use ,driving some folks out of the hobby in frustation.

what type brand and level machine you want --depends on many factors -- to start with what are the soil conditions like in the area you plan to hunt?( does the area have very high mineral content? (if so many less costly preset ground balance models may work poorly there.) how often do you plan to use it ? -- is it to be a hobby only item --or do you plan to hunt seriously?
Thanks for the respone... im In the desert of Arizona so i would preferably be looking for Gold as a Hobby....id like to spend 500 to 1,000 for a detector, im Noticing alot of people talking about the Minelab detectors on here, i notice the best detector to be bought is a GPX-4500 id never spend that much, but since im new and know nothing im just trying to get a feel of this whole thing theres so many options... its overwhelming!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well try this for starters --look under general by location under subjects * they got a list of states **8 az is one of em -- talk to local guys see what they say and think is best for your area --warning ***some guys are very brand loyal -- like I 'd rather push a ford than drive a chevy --except its metal detector brands x is great y is trash

OP
OP
M

mavtricks71

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2009
ivan salis said:
well try this for starters --look under general by location under subjects * they got a list of states **8 az is one of em -- talk to local guys see what they say and think is best for your area --warning ***some guys are very brand loyal -- like I 'd rather push a ford than drive a chevy --except its metal detector brands x is great y is trash
Funny you say that ima Ford Guy ;D thanks for the help

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
First off, check to see if there is a detecting club in your area. If there is I recommend you join it and talk with the other members to see what they use and why. Get to know some of the other members and try to go hunting with them. Not only will you enjoy the experience more but there is also safety in numbers. Just my 2 cents worth.

Happy Hunting and Good Luck.

Desertfox

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mavtricks71, by "gold", I'm assuming you mean gold nuggets, right? (as opposed to gold jewelry, gold coins, etc...).

If so, yes, there are machines that are made to be a cross-over, where, with the proper tweeking of the control knobs, you can go back & forth between nugget hunting one day, and coin/relic hunting another day. But a machine designed to be a cross-over, with the flick of a few switches, will excell in neither arena. Ie.: there will be better coin/relic machines, and there will be better nugget machines.

you see, the goals of each venue are almost diametically opposed. A machine for nugget hunting is designed from the ground-up, to excell in teeennnsssy little pinhead sized nuggets (the most common size found). But a coin/relic guy, quite frankly DOESN'T want to hear every little flick of birdshot, staples, etc... He wants to reject the little teeny foil (or whatever), and excell in depth and TID on coin-sized targets. So machines made, from the ground up, for that purpose, are more suited for coin/relics.

Yes a few cross-over machines exist, but they will be out-done by specialty machine's in each class.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Even those of us who have been in the hobby for decades are overwhelmed by all the choices & unsure what detector will give us the best results.

Most people will say to buy what they use, but different people prefer different detectors.

Some choices: White's MXT, or M6; Minelab X-Terra 70 (just discontinued) or the replacement X-Terra 705 with better (faster) ground tracking & backlight, if you get optional 18.75 kHz coil.

The X-Terra offers 6" concentric 18.75 kHz coil, 9" concentric 18.75 kHz coil & 5.5x 10 oval DD coil 18.75 kHz coil. These are the best frequency this model offers for gold. Coin depth may be slightly reduced. The stock coil is 9" concentric at 7.5 kHz, a compromise for coins & gold. The DD coils are supposed to be best in areas with extreme ground mineralization.

I had the White's M6 with a 12.5" concentric Jimmy Sierra Hot Shot coil & was amazed it could pick up tiny gold jewelry, coins on edge with correct ID, etc. I also used a White's MXT & found a tiny gold pendant down maybe 3".

I currently have the X-Terra 70 & Fisher F70. The Fisher will go deep when set to be noisy. IDs jump around & I can't tell a nickel from a modern pulltab. It's frequency is well below the White's M6/MXT or the X-Terra 70 with 18.75 kHz optional coils. It will pick up small gold they say, if used with a positive threshold but that doesn't work around electrical interference. HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
M

mavtricks71

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2009
Tom_in_CA said:
mavtricks71, by "gold", I'm assuming you mean gold nuggets, right? (as opposed to gold jewelry, gold coins, etc...).

If so, yes, there are machines that are made to be a cross-over, where, with the proper tweeking of the control knobs, you can go back & forth between nugget hunting one day, and coin/relic hunting another day. But a machine designed to be a cross-over, with the flick of a few switches, will excell in neither arena. Ie.: there will be better coin/relic machines, and there will be better nugget machines.

you see, the goals of each venue are almost diametically opposed. A machine for nugget hunting is designed from the ground-up, to excell in teeennnsssy little pinhead sized nuggets (the most common size found). But a coin/relic guy, quite frankly DOESN'T want to hear every little flick of birdshot, staples, etc... He wants to reject the little teeny foil (or whatever), and excell in depth and TID on coin-sized targets. So machines made, from the ground up, for that purpose, are more suited for coin/relics.

Yes a few cross-over machines exist, but they will be out-done by specialty machine's in each class.
[/quote Boy you guys are well informed and a bunch of help im glad i Joined this forum... thanks for all the replys, I Deffintly would like a Gold Nugget Detector thats my goal !

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start with the Garret or Whites easy to learn with quality, start at the low end range...recommend you go used then advance as ready

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Get a whites and hit the tot lots. A perfect pair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions