Iv only been in the MD game 3 months, whats with all the beeps!

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my friend gave me a cheapo radio shack md to get me started, it went beep bloop beep bloop bloop beloop beepity beepity freeken beep!....
he had one that went Whaaaaaaaaaang waaaaaannnnng or had a bit of a crackle in it if it was a bad target. i got soo frustrated with the beepity one, my friend gave me a whites dfx, now thats what im talken about!!!!! Whaaaaaang Whaaaaaaannnng, who needs that display, you can here the good signals you can set it to beepity beep beep to but who would want that!!!!, so i was like yeeeeaaaaaa white is the bomb!!! they know what there doing... so i go to buy my kid a whites md, a whites prizm 5, thinken it will be close to as awsome as my dfx... well i get it home and beepity beep freeken beep, i tryed to change it and theres no setting to change it.. im soo disappointed
so here is the question why would you want a beep machine rather thank a Whaaaaang machine? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dank

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o and i get that you can notch things out with the beepers, but you can hear the same thing in the whaaaanng just pass the signal if you dont wana dig it. sometime we compair our machines and the beeper with out any notching will beep one way and not the other, or just quit beeping at all, when it was a good beep 3 or 4 times in a row , with the wang, its close to the same noise every time i pass over the same target, so I decide whats good and bad... by passing over it and getting a noise that i can relate to from digging other target thats sound similar. sometimes his will quite beeping over coins and mine may have a little crackle but still MAKES A NOISE that i can decide to dig or not.
thanks again.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Those Prizms are very good machines for the money, w/o regard to the noise they make when locating targets.

Bleeps. beeps and even boings can be a good thing, a very good thing!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are the old mono tone and newer multi tone machines out there ---with differant sounds meaning differant things -- read up on "discrimation"---- in the detector world its a good thing --to know iron from copper /silver tones

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
No matter what the sound a detector of metal will do what ? That's right detect metal, what kind of metal is the thang. Now there are more kinds of metal than just the one or two or three sounds that a low end detector will have thus the lower end detector you use the more likely you'll need to dig every target to find out just what it is. The higher end detectors have more variations to the sounds they make and can therefore differentiate between targets better so it is easier for a detectorist to determine if they want to dig. Here's the rub, with a lower end detector you may have to dig more targets, but you'll miss very little. With the higher end detector you can dig fewer targets, but you'll miss some potentially great targets, unless of course your detector is 100% accurate. ::) So you can avoid all these pitfalls by either going big and expensive yet digging all signals or cheap and inexpensive and digging all signals. Hmmmmmm tough call. :icon_scratch:

Kinda like the proverbial depth monster around here. No doubt in a couple weeks or months you'll be back asking about depth, saying how come my machine isn't finding all the gold and silver others are finding ? And you'll be sure it's because the good targets are older and just out of reach of your brand of detector so you'll want to know what's the deepest detector, cause older means deeper right and those guys in the 70's didn't have machines that go that deep, blah, blah, blah,yada, yada, yada....

I'm not going off on you because your a newb, I am just writing this for my own health so I won't have to keep writing the same things time and again, I plan on copying this so I can cut and paste it for future newb posts.

Start off learning that to get good finds means first and foremost good research, you can't find what isn't there.

Second start with any machine that can detect metal to a depth of four inches or more.
Use that machine and learn everything you can about it, the hobby, and yourself.
One of the biggest drawbacks to anyone being successful as a MDer is their own ability to stick it out during slow periods, you won't always be finding good things, some times in fact most times you'll be diggen trash far more than you'll ever dig treasure.

Third Dig every good signal, what's a good signal ? Damned if I know and "NO ONE ELSE KNOWS EITHER", that's for you to decide for yourself. If I knew what a good signal was I'd only dig them and no others and I'd only dig treasure. ::)

What I do is dig every possibly good signal and still most of them are trash. But I miss very little and find very little but over the years it adds up. Yes it is hard work, but treasure hunting isn't meant to be easy nor is everyone cut out to be dyed in the wool treasure hunters. Tenacity is the word that wins the day. Fight for ever scrap of treasure you can find and then hide it away for very few are worthy of the title treasure hunter and even fewer are worthy of viewing my treasure as they must first realize and appreciate all the blood sweat and tears that went into it's acquisition.

I save mine for a cold winters night in front of a warm fire with my dog curled at my feet and my Grandchildren gathered for a tale of incredible mishap mayhem and danger as Grandpa spins a web. :wink:

OP
OP
dank

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, i get metal detecting, ive found lots o silver and some realy cool other stuff in the last 3 months, and i have dug lots of trash too, i look at it like scratching lotto tickets, the earth is a big scratch ticket and if i keep scratching ill pull out a winner someday. in not to worried if i dont find something one day.
i love my dfx and i love how deep it gos, even the prizm 5's depth is awsome. the dfx with mono tone can discriminate out iron and also gives you a vdi # to guess what kind of metal your digging, all with out the beep. my beef isnt with any of that its with the lack of repetable signals you can get from the prizm 5, or any multi tone detector that ive used . it seem like you realy have to have ideal conditions to make it repeat the same tone, or even keep beeping over the same target.
feild testing the multi tone vs. the mono tone, ive noticed that the multi tone will point towards not digging a target or stop beeping all togeather on a target, and the mono will say dig it,
never the other way around. and yea sometimes its trash, and some times its a silver coin.
i guess im asking, why have a detector that can look over a good target, when theres detectors out there that will at least tell you theres a target there and you can dig it if you want.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
There's all kinds of answers to your question, but the simplest is if the detector doesn't detect metal then it's broke, or if it doesn't detect it deep as it should roughly as deep as the coil is wide, then it probably is a broken coil. In all other cases as long as it beeps, blips, bings, dings, rings, bloops, blahhs, ewahhhs or argghhhs, dig if you find some form of metal you have just accomplished the whole thing. That's the secret to this hobby no matter what detector. Swing, beep, dig. Now repeat as fast as you can and good finds will go up. Why would anyone buy or pay for anything beyond a wally world special, mostly because treasure hunters are innately optimists. We always believe it will be that next beep. So that really makes us easy targets for even half witted sales people. Oh we try and struggle to resist our good natures and thinking the next detector will do better than the current one. But that wears off, eventually. After a while, most of the really old timers get used to using one detector and they stick with it. Of course technology can pass them by but who cares if they don't ?
We certainly aren't finding more than our predecessors, and neither will our progeny. So just stick with it, swing, beep, dig, now repeat ! That's it no matter what detector or what sound just insert the sound inline like this Swing, Squawk, dig now repeat ! see it works. ;D :wink: :D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...I grew up on the beep, beep, bloop.....that's all we had. I had a DFX...sold it. Wasn't doing anything different than my monotone White's 6000Di pro. And frankly, that multifrequency tone just plain hurts my ears. Yes, I used it in monotone 99% of the time. That's me...that's what I like.

I used that 6000 for a lot of years, found some pretty cool stuff and enough junk to fill my car trunk several times. I learned it's every quirk, blip and bloop....that's what time and experience does. And my first detector was an old TR machine with just one tone. You learned to use your ears because there was no visual display. Just beep, beep, crackle, beep.

You are NOT going to master the DFX in 3 months. I had mine over a year, tweeked it til my thumb was blue.....didn't change my finds much at all and left it in the trunk as a back up to my 6000.

So...like MD dog so eloquently pointed out...I got suckered into buying an even newer detector. And guess what??? I use it in MONOtone. It's one of those bells and whistles portion I find useless. And that's me also.

I guess when some of us get older, our ears just don't like all that squealing in our ears and I like my volumn up so I can hear any whisper signals.

Good stuff isn't as common as it used to be...you need research and patience to score decent targets now.

I'm not bashing the DFX...it's a fine detector. It just wasn't the one for me. And people just starting out are finding multifrequency tones to be the norm and love it. But for those of us "Old School" types, and I could be alone here, but I'll stick to my beep, beep, beep. I understand that language of metal detecting and I'm sticking with it.

Al

M

mankind

I thought I was the only person who detest the annoying and inaccurate characteristics of the new bleep bleep blip of the new multi tone targeting detectors. I have been detecting for over 30 years and have many hours swinging all types of detectors, And without a shadow of a doubt the "whomp" sound is the only tone you need when detecting. Why would you want to sweep more that once over a target forcing your detector to give a good signal when you can just sweep and "WHOMMMMP" !! one time every time!!! Its simple!! Whomp = Treasure, bleep blip bloop bleep = WTH??

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Most all of my thousands of silver coins and other old coins, and jewelry were found on the old beepers. I can never say anything bad about the old machines, they were great, easier to operate. The individual learned what their machines were telling them as they dug objects and stored that knowledge in their on-board human computers(brains). I would not be intimidated by any modern machine out there, and would hunt right with them. Much of my success has been based on lots of patience and good helping of common sense.

Good luck and HH

OP
OP
dank

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think ive been missunderstood by some ppl. some one said that they grew up on the beeping machines, i thought that they were kinda a newer thing.
i was saying i like the old school sound too.. and that the NEWER beeping machines drive me nuts!! i only use my dfx on a setting that does not beep and has the old school sound. maby its caz i dont know the terminology that i have a hard time getting my point across.
to me old school sound = Whannnngg or whaaaa crackle crackle aannngg.
new beep sound= beep bloop beloop beep
my question was why go with the beep when you can Whaaang someone said something about discrimination. you can do that with the whaanng detectors too.
i hate that beep soo much that if my 1st machine made that noise my detector would be collecting dust in my garage.
im just haveing a hard time understanding why the even make that beep machine? and why anyone would choose one over a wang machine
thanks again.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
why do some folks like country music and others rock and roll ? -- cuz differant siounds sound good to differant folks

joelt

Jan 5, 2007
Far North Austin
Detector(s) used
F5, F4, Sidewinder
I've only recently started to appreciate "bluuurrp" machines. I was hooked on the bippity beeps. If all you do is hunt clad in a new park, then its really nice the detector tells you what to dig.

Almost all Tesoros will give you the "bluuurrrps", except for the Golden Sabre, that's the only one I'm aware of. They give you lots of that kind of detector without a ID display, the DeLeon and Cortes being the exceptions (both bluurrrp as well and have ID). There's lots of bippity beep machines with ID. I have an F5 that like the DFX allows you to choose bluuurrrp mode or bippity beep mode. I like that the best, then, depending where I go I can choose what I dig, or let the detector tell me. The Fishers have a lot of both kinds of machine, but they are mostly bluuurrps as well or let you choose (except for the F2/F4).

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
why do some folks like country music and others rock and roll ? -- cuz differant siounds sound good to differant folks

Good point :thumbsup:

It's all in how you want to describe the sound...which is almost impossible to describe in written words.

Monotone.....that's what I grew up on....one single whomp, or as I chose to call it, beep.

I've been trying the multitone the last couple times out with my Vision. Can't say I like it one bit. On deep signals, whether a coin or a piece of unknow junk, I got that high pitched, ear piercing squeal. If the VDI says it's a quarter at 7 inches, the tone is going to match the VDI number, whether a quarter or rusty bottle cap. Sooooo...what's the purpose? I still end up digging a rusty bottle cap at 7 inches. That's if I don't use the other tools the machine has to offer.

I can interprete the monontone much better than relying on multitone squeals decieving me. Just MHO.

Al

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Take to DFX give it to your kids and hit the tot lots. A harmonious reunion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread