Im not a "happy camper"

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a "happy camper"

....you all should be ashamed of yourselves, you've given me the MD "bug" BAD!! ;D It's been alittle over a month since I'd decided to take-up the hobby, and I think there won't be a cure for this one ;D

I'm happy (for the poster) yet envious of the finds I see posted on here, and all I can think about is the next place to check-out.

I'm happy finding clad, but like anything else, would like to "raise the bar" alittle & find some old coinage, a piece of jewlery, just something slightly "above" clad. I know it'll come with time, and since I'm still in the learning/beginner process I know I'll do alot of digging before I'm more confident in my TH'ing & knowing my machine.

Just wanted to say thanks to a great bunch & a great forum!
Smitty

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Re: I'm not a "happy camper"

Hey I.S., I'm more of the simple hunter myself. I pretty much stick to parks and schools and look for change and jewelry. My only "good" find is a 10K gold ring (child's) that I found in a soccer field at an elem. school. I've found other jewelry too, but not this nice. My 7 yr. old daughter claimed it pretty quick, but it stays in Daddy's treasure box until it fits her finger. ;)

You can get as serious about this hobby as you like, or like me, you can just cruise along.

Have fun my man !!!

Ima Swinger
(and lovin' it)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Indy,
Don't let the finds others make affect the attitude you have Buddy.

Start with the Older schools, do your searches EARLY and late .
Look in church yards, early.
Look in the grounds of OLD county bldgs. Early and late.

There are many more places to look.
but if you want the older coins first you must do the research thing
Find the locations most likely to yield the older dates.
Even then Be Persistant! don't give up, keep going. the silver will come.

Your friend
OD

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

I hope my post wasn't misunderstood, I'm not "unhappy" about being bitten by the MD "bug" at all. Matter-of-fact, quite the opposite. I've been looking for something I could do, at my own pace, without alot of monetary investment, and this fits that bill.

I've also enjoyed the "challenge" of the research end of this, or should say "enjoying". I've found the internet somewhat limited with useful information to my area, though I have found somewhat of a timeline for some familiar areas. I think the library would be a good place to spend one of these 90+ degree days we're having.

I plan on asking permission soon, as I have a couple places in mind, again, just waiting on alittle rain & a cool-down.

Ima- That's the great thing about MD'ing, you can set your own pace & goals. lol, trust me, the few clad finds I'd made this past week couldn't have excited me more of they were a late 1800's silver. I'd like to be somewhere in the "middle". I'll never be able to take any trip (of any distance) to look for a lost cache, but would like to find more than Im currently finding, but that's just me. I think it's great that everyone can do as they plese, and if they're happy with that, then I'm happy for them.

Thom, no worries....lol, my attitude only stinks about certain things, MD'ing isn't one of 'em ;) The whole town here has been concreted & paved, not much that isn't. I'm going to look & see what's on the spot where the 1st school was built, it's a few blocks from downtown, and though I've passed it thousands of times, I can't recall that particular spot.

I've realized research is an area I need to focus upon, especially since it will be alot easier on this old body than taking a "shot in the dark" so to speak, and digging blind for lack of better words.

Persistance & time are two things I have lots of.....lol & I'm too bull-headed to know when to quit ;D

Smitty

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Patience and persistence will get the better goodies eventually, at least I keep telling myself that. AND "better than clad" can be defined in a lot of ways. When I popped an Australian 1 cent piece out of my lawn, I found it pretty interesting if not valuable. Like wise the 1942 Phillipine Centavo. I should point out that I live on a county road, no sidewalks going by so how those two coins ended up in my yard is anybody's guess. Lost by previous owner(s), fill dirt, who knows? Also found a Democratic token from the Lincoln Douglas Campaign of 1860 Marked on one side Steven A. Douglas 1860 and on the opposite, Herschel V. Johnson 1860. Not in my yard and not a coin, but due to the historical significance, in my opinion one of my better finds. Hang in there you never know what will turn up in the next outing.
Dig often, Dig deep,
Bill

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

There's plenty more out there.It's where you find it. :)
RD

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

luvsdux said:
Hang in there you never know what will turn up in the next outing.

Yep, that's what's so fun about it. I've fished most my life.....some days 'ya gt 'em, some days 'ya don't :D

Smitty

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

IndianaSmith said:
Persistance & time are two things I have lots of.....

Those are the ONLY requirements ;)
besides the 'tector, of course ::) :P

draaiorgel

Greenie
Sep 1, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

It's early days for you yet Smitty,
You've a lot of nice finds to come and they will.
Here are the 3 PPPs
Persistence, patience, practice.
Above all relax n enjoy.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

;D ;D ;D Smitty, I love your story. You've got the BUG bad my friend :o
Welcome to the club. Any day out with a detector is a great day, even if you get skunked. haha HH

Desertfox

echostar61

Jul 22, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter,Prizim II

Smitty-
I live in the same town as you,and I know what you mean about finding older areas to hunt.Do try the Indiana room at the library,I've been doing research on some older spots to hunt when it gets cooler. Talk to some of the old timers,my neighbors and friends have been very helpful on finding me areas to hunt.My oldest find here came out of my own yard,a 1884 seated dime.I'm just now getting used to my detector,the more I use it the more I like it.I'm willing to share any info. on future sites I've collected if you like.
Terri

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smitty you are a lucky fellow to get bitten by the detection bug in this age where you have the Internet to help you learn the different detectors and what they do and how to hunt.

This site is a fine place to check out once in awhile. Don't be to concerned about not matching some of the finds shown in the posts as some of these hunters have been at this hobby for many years. Myself, I have never found a coin older than 1879 I think it was. Now days with bad knees I mainly hunt the water and the beaches where the digging is easy and the eye candy is better.

good luck.
Sandman

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

ah doing your research and "target rich" areas are the keys to happiness in the MDing world --- first for old coins and relic items--you need a area where people gathered in the past --- old parks --old schools -- old civil war battle feilds and troop camp grounds -- old fair grounds - old swimming holes that have been used for years --- learn your "local" history --- however also do not over look modern "drop" areas ---current fairground areas -- beaches -- swimming holes -- and parks ---anywhere people gather esp. if their engaged in some type of sport is a prime area for "lost stuff"--- happy huntiing (HH) ---Ivan

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

Thanks all for the advice & comments.

Echostar61-Terri, shoot me a PM sometime if you want to share some ideas, I've got a few as "starting points", but need to investigate them further.

Thanks
Smitty

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IndianaSmith...It doesn't take long to get "hooked". If you are like me, your wife hates riding in the car with you because all you can say is...darn that sure looks like a nice place to metal detect..You know you have it bad when you look over and see their eyes roll..lol

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

SC_hunter said:
IndianaSmith...It doesn't take long to get "hooked". If you are like me, your wife hates riding in the car with you because all you can say is...darn that sure looks like a nice place to metal detect..You know you have it bad when you look over and see their eyes roll..lol

lol, yep sounds like me too :D

My (long since) "ex" would only get upset when I wouldn't roll the window down so she could hang her head out the window as I drove ;D lol

Smitty

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

i didnt find my first silver coin till about 1 month ago. been detecting on and off for years. i suggest do some reading on the history of your town/city. look up the parks in the older areas of town. thats how i found my first silver dime and quarter just a few feet from each other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread