Im not sure what I got here...

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure what I got here...

I know it's a comb. I know it's a shark-shaped comb. I'm sure it's a man made material because of the sharp edge where it has been trimmed out of a die. Marked DEPOSE FRANCE. Found at Goodwill for $1.99. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HH All!

Attachments

• 100_7703.JPG
    100_7703.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_7705.JPG
    100_7705.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_7706.JPG
    100_7706.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 81

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like plastic to me.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depose France is a desirable vintage brand. There's lots of their stuff online, including a few combs. Prices are all over the place, but I don't think you'll have a problem getting $20 or so for this. Very cool.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depose is not a brand name. It is a term used in Europe for years that means "registered maker" for the particular country of origin of the item. You will see it used most often by France, England, and Italy but also shows up occasionally for other countries. This is very similar to our copyright, so it is signifying not only "made in" but also "copyrighted". Cool shark comb. Unfortunately, it's worth about what you paid for it, I would think. You can still purchase them here I guess, although I don't know what they sell for. I think you may have to buy a quantity of them. Handmade 'shark' Comb - Plastic Combs Wholesaler from Jaffa International Marketing Ltd, Uk

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected. Should have looked into that further. Drew that conclusion because there was another "Depose France" comb (by another maker) on eBay that looked similar enough and sold for $32 and change. There were a few other examples that looked to be from the same era and made of the same material.

Still think you can get more than what you paid... just not necessarily on eBay

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected. Should have looked into that further. Drew that conclusion because there was another "Depose France" comb (by another maker) on eBay that looked similar enough and sold for $32 and change. There were a few other examples that looked to be from the same era and made of the same material.

Still think you can get more than what you paid... just not necessarily on eBay
No worries. I thought the same thing the first time I ran across a depose Italy nativity set at a sale. I found out the set was actually made by Fontanini. That's when I found out what it depose means.

OP
OP
frankendime

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Depose is not a brand name. It is a term used in Europe for years that means "registered maker" for the particular country of origin of the item. You will see it used most often by France, England, and Italy but also shows up occasionally for other countries. This is very similar to our copyright, so it is signifying not only "made in" but also "copyrighted". Cool shark comb. Unfortunately, it's worth about what you paid for it, I would think. You can still purchase them here I guess, although I don't know what they sell for. I think you may have to buy a quantity of them. Handmade 'shark' Comb - Plastic Combs Wholesaler from Jaffa International Marketing Ltd, Uk

Hey thanks diggummup! I was struggling on this one. Looks like a swing and a miss. The comb was just so odd looking and interesting I could not pass on it for $2. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions